Votes: 15 37.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Baller
04 STI, '11 R6 Race
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So within the next few months here I am going to be gathering parts for another swap. Its all going into some year GF wagon.

Regardless of what engine goes in the car is going to have 6mt, brembos, coilovers etc the whole sti package minus the engine (or the engine too lol)

I was just throwing some ideas around in my head the other day and thought it might be pretty cool to do an H6 swap with a turbo rather than just go the standard ej257 setup stage 2 etc.
Originally I was looking to gain around 300whp but now thinking of it I wouldn't mind 350-400whp which would be hard at all on either, especially the H6 with a turbo.

Also, if I did go with the H6 turbo route, which turbo would I run? Would a VF43 be too small? or should I consider like a 16g or 18g even?

So basically which one should I go for? H6 would take a bit more work but I don't have a problem with that. They would both cost about the same and still get the same mpg's as well roughly
I want to hear your thoughts

·
Premium Baller
04 STI, '11 R6 Race
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see. Thats a good point I guess. I would have the car smogged with the H6 motor in by itself, which should pass no problems. And then go for the turbo setup

·
Registered
2001 Subaru 2.5 RS-T BRP
359 Posts
The way I see it is... the H6 Turbo would be pretty "unique" (been done before - Perrin), but for the power goals that you have in mind, a simple STI swap would do. You get the benefits of Open Source tunes, emissions, Diagnostics, and over the counter parts....

I have a Turbo'd RS. Been like this since 2004 with a standalone, and I love it. It was a great learning experience - particularly on the tunning side... BUT I do know what a PITA is to deal with custom parts, and dealing with emissions. Swapping to smaller injectors, changing to catted downpipes, and reconecting the ECU...just to pass the smog test.

If I could do it all over again, I would probably do a USDM swap... but back then it was waaaay more expensive.

·
Registered
362 Posts
H6 will make more power and two t3s 60 trim would be nice to have.

You'll learn a lot about tuning if you do the H6 route.

If you can't weld then it's going to get expennnsiiive lol.

IMO if you wanna learn a lot about performance with the DIY way then H6!! if you wanna just put it in and play then the ej257 swap.

If I had the funds I would go with the H6, but i would invest in a beater car first (example: 1991 Saturn SL since they're cheap and go from A-->B)

·
Premium Baller
04 STI, '11 R6 Race
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm yea that's a good point. I'm not looking for crazy power, so twin turbo would be out of the question unfortunately. I know how to weld, but I'm not confident enough to do custom fabrication on my own car.

Time is something I won't have a whole lot of, basically 3 months to complete the swap. Maybe the H6 will have to wait for another time. Just thought it would be cool, something different you know. there aren't many out there but o well.

I see what you are saying about the emissions thing too, that would be a major pain if I ever got pulled over. I'd basically have to swap out the entire turbo setup just to go back to state ref.

Maybe I'm thinking a bit over my head here

·
Registered
95 Nissan 240sx, 98/99 rs cp
670 Posts
hmm yea that's a good point. I'm not looking for crazy power, so twin turbo would be out of the question unfortunately. I know how to weld, but I'm not confident enough to do custom fabrication on my own car.

Time is something I won't have a whole lot of, basically 3 months to complete the swap. Maybe the H6 will have to wait for another time. Just thought it would be cool, something different you know. there aren't many out there but o well.

I see what you are saying about the emissions thing too, that would be a major pain if I ever got pulled over. I'd basically have to swap out the entire turbo setup just to go back to state ref.

Maybe I'm thinking a bit over my head here
turbo h6 do it! i am and it is going to be sweet! haha

·
Registered
00' 2.5RWD / 98' L Wagon
4,673 Posts
USDM EJ257 would be easier. But if you took the motor out of one of those newer H6's, and found someone that can cut and weld, and do all the custom work for fitting everything. The H6 would be a great upgrade. NA they're pretty fuccin strong; HP wise. And Turbo even faster. You'd still have to dump money into a complete driveline, internals, and then whatever custom bits would be added in the process. Not to mention engine managment and a good strong tune.

USDM Ej257 won't be bad at all. And parts are easily accessable. You're just limited by the HP cap that you'll never be able to reach as if you had an H6.

I vote EJ257. (Plug-n'-play, easy access to parts, has the name STi hahahaha)

·
Registered
00' 2.5RWD / 98' L Wagon
4,673 Posts
+1000.

Plus he could get the swap finished in time if he had the cash, and everything was delivered on time.

·
Premium Baller
04 STI, '11 R6 Race
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is true. And with a ~2800lb wagon with 300whp, it would be pretty quick even still, not to mention spool time would be lower as well.

Looks like the H6 is a lot more work/money than I thought. I think I'll stick with the ej257

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,932 Posts
Check out perrin's h6 turbo STI... There's a vid or 2 on YouTube. It looks to be quite the beast... But unless ur building a dedicated track car and unless u have deep pockets, I'd steer clear from that type of powerplant. Plus last I checked ur up in the bay area correct? So perhaps a 257 would be the best option from both a reliabilty and emissions standpoint...no swapped GF is a run f the mill project IMO. They're all special:)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts