Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Impreza TS Green
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wired up my PP6 according to the pinouts provided to me by someone who has done this before. However, I was browsing the forums and northursalia.com and I noticed that the pinouts provided on his site are completely different from what I used for my wiring.

http://northursalia.com/modifications/misc/wiring/wiring.html

This shows a "MY 2001-2003 RS" ECU pinout, and a separate "MY 2004 SOHC ECU Pinouts"

This is a major dilemma for me because I've got a 2003 TS which should be identical to the '03 RS ECU, but my wiring right now for the PP6 is hooked up based on the MY2004 ECU pinout listed.

Main question:

Is the Northursalia site wrong, and the 02-03 RS is actually using the '04 ECU pinout, or is my wiring all wrong? My car has been running with the PP6 even before I swapped out my engine. I'm quite certain that the labelling on the website must be wrong, because for isntance, the splicing for the ignition is 100% different, therefore if I had spliced it wrong, it wouldn't even run at all... right?

Please compare on that site:

MY2004 RS ECU pinout
B134 pin 33 = ignition # 1 & 2
B134 pin 32 = ignition # 3 & 4

MY2001-2003 RS ECU pinout
B134 pin 25 = ignition # 1 & 2
B134 pin 26 = ignition # 3 & 4

Or... is the site correct and I've wiring in my PP6 completely wrong from the very beginning?!?

Nothing personal against Northursalia, I just thought I'd make a thread about it to get all the gurus on board.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Link isn't working for me this morning, but are you looking at the pin side or wire side?

·
Registered
2003 Impreza TS Green
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Storm said:
Link isn't working for me this morning, but are you looking at the pin side or wire side?
What? Is there a difference? :confused: It's a pinout, so I'm assuming that I'm looking solely at the pin side of everything.

Basically, I looked at the PP6 instructions given to me, and they have the pin numbers along with the description of each function. When I cross-referenced that with the 2001-2003 and the 2004 pinouts that I found on the northursalia site, the description matches the 2004 pinout but is completely different from what the 2003 pinout is.

My question is... Are the 2003 RS ECU pinouts really different from the 2004 RS ECU pinouts? :noes:

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
da ding.... They are numbered from the wire side, so you have to count the pins while they face away from you.

·
Registered
2003 Impreza TS Green
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No offense guys, but that's actually not my issue... :(

Look at the difference here:

2001-2003: http://northursalia.com/modifications/misc/wiring/2001ecu1.jpg

2004 (page 1): http://northursalia.com/modifications/misc/wiring/04_SOHC_ECU.pdf

They're obviously numbered from the same side...

Now the tricky part - my 2003 has 4 plugs, more similar to the 2004 pinout, and I've wired up my PP6 using instructions that have connectors and terminals that describe the 2004 setup. However, my PP6 isn't working right. Wired in wrong, or did I use the wrong reference?

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Dunno if Regan had a chance to check the thread yet but I talked to him about it while he was working on another car today, he kinda confirmed what I told you on the phone, that as a late-03 your car is probably more 04 than 03. It's not really a matter of a complete model generation (02-03) being one thing and 04 being something entirely different. Particularly when changes are made, a lot of the decisions are made as far as a year in advance. And if they're still building 03's and run out of something for the 03 cars with only a month or two of production left, rather than placing a relatively small order to finish out the line, they'll just start substituting stuff for the model they're going to be switching over to in a month.

Either way, if you've got 4 plugs, you'd want to work from the 04 pinout. The northursalia.com pinouts do have the signal voltages so worst case scenario, take a voltmeter and see what kind of signal is coming down the line to see if you've got the right wire if it's a particular one you're worried about.

·
Registered
2003 Impreza TS Green
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Falcon, I found out the problem, and you're right, I'm running on the 2004 ECU. :D

Check the prairiescooby forum for the details, it's really long, LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts