Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
661 - 680 of 691 Posts

·
Registered
EJ205'D STM RS
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
Sooooo I bought a car... oops

1992 Mercedes 190E 2.3 Automatic. 1 owner vehicle that was purchased back in 1992. The couple I bought it from kept it in astounding condition. First step, bag it! Stay tuned over on Stanceworks for the build thread.

My First Mercedes - 92 190E - Project Mercy - StanceWorks

Project Mercy X The Beginning by David Arellano, on Flickr

·
Registered
EJ205'D STM RS
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #665 ·
Thanks guys! Just ordered my air management today for it. Airlift 3P with dual 444cc compressors. Can't wait!

The wheels (which may or may not be Works) will be for the RS assuming that I'll keep it around until next year. I may try to sell it so I can use the funds to invest in my businesses.

·
Registered
EJ205'D STM RS
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #669 · (Edited)
Love seeing this progress. Regamasters up for sale yet??? I'm interested.
The Regamasters sold a while back unfortunately! They headed off to California to an S2000 owner and they look fantastic on the car!

Video = MINT!
Thanks peeps! I was actually just now jumping on to post up the link to it. I love how it came out. Jordan did some fantastic work on it and it came together really well.

Link here! >>> https://youtu.be/w7cpRQAmo-A

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,745 Posts
Wait.. They wouldn't happen to have gone to San Jose, CA? My buddy with a S2000 just bought a set.

·
Registered
EJ205'D STM RS
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #672 ·
Wait.. They wouldn't happen to have gone to San Jose, CA? My buddy with a S2000 just bought a set.
They went to Merced or something like that to a kid name Kai. He's got a blue S2k that looks pretty rad.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,745 Posts
They went to Merced or something like that to a kid name Kai. He's got a blue S2k that looks pretty rad.
Oh, gotcha. Now that I think about it, my friend had his powdercoated white so they wouldn't have been yours anyway haha. Great wheels though.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,175 Posts
I hate that your car makes me want a big lipped set of 3 spokes. Too bad yours are 5x100 :(

·
Registered
EJ205'D STM RS
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #675 ·
I hate that your car makes me want a big lipped set of 3 spokes. Too bad yours are 5x100 :(
Do it man! I'm actually going to be selling these here shortly. They're actually 5x114! (Dual drilled 4x114 too). A lot of people forget that I'm all about that adapter life. Finding a set like this in this size is virtually impossible. Just have to be able to fit a 17x9 +15

·
Registered
EJ205'D STM RS
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #676 ·
A couple of updates for you's peeps!

FIRSTLY
I decided one day, like... 3 months ago now that I would finally go winter mode. But... in order for me to go winter mode I needed to get a set of spacers since my studs have been trimmed meaning I can no longer use the factory studs, unless used with a spacer or adapter.

So I got some!

Plus my massive winter tires

And before I started raising up my coilovers I decided I would take the opportunity (now with the spacers) to test fit the Impul RS wheels that wouldn't fit without spacers (too high of offset). Annnnd they looked awesome.

But suddenly, a broken axle boot appeared! I noticed that the front passenger side boot had ripped and I figured now would be a good time to replace it. So I contacted my local O'reiley's and swapped my ripped boot axle for a new replacement!

+ image of new one or something

Thennnnnn I got to raising. It turns out that I didn't take any pictures of this process, but I did one side at a time. Long story short, I got the front raised up just fine with the stock wheel on. Went to do the rear and the coilover wouldn't adjust up easily at all. Eventually I gave up and ended up raising the rear only enough to get the stock wheel/winter tire to fit.

·
Registered
EJ205'D STM RS
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #677 · (Edited)
Then here comes the fun part!

Alright, so I made the decision to just go ahead and run with stock suspension since I didn't think I'd be able to get my coilovers raised up as I needed (not without a lot of time and frustration). I purchased some used KYB AGX shocks with stock springs from a buddy and made some time one day to swap them out.

Problem 1: He was missing a pair-set of hardware. The two front struts didn't have their appropriate nuts/bolts to use for the tophats. (You're probably sitting here reading this thinking... but y tho, there's studs aren't there? Nope, no studs just 3 nuts and 3 bolts for each top hat). So I had another person (we'll call him person X) help me out and source some hardware from my friend's shop that would work. I also asked to have person X help me because I knew I wouldn't be able to do them on my own.

Soooooo we went on our way. Got the front struts on no problem. Removed the adapter on one side and put on the spacer. Went to remove the adapter on the other side annnnnnnd FACK...

Problem 2: This is where things get fun so sit back and relax.

Person X was being very helpful and removing the nuts off of the factory studs to remove the adapter on the driver side. He removed up to four of them, but had difficulty on the 3rd and 4th. So much trouble in fact, that he decided to use a breaker bar (which is odd cause they were torqued to spec). So he got 3 and 4 off. Here comes 5...

I'm sitting in the car holding down the brake and I see him give a nice forceful push on his wrenching assembly and then hear something like "****" (I honestly can't remember, I think I blacked out). I get out of my car and see that the LAST nut has been completely rounded off. *f bombs... f bombs everywhere* I instantly become extremely frustrated realizing that what has happened is no minor problem. ((Keep in mind that this is the ONLY day that I can work on the car, having just come back from an 11 day vacation and starting a 10 day stint of working two jobs for 16+ hours each day))

So we get to the point where he decides he can try to effectively chisel an edge in to the nut with a screwdriver to twist it off. At this point I'm in F-it mode. So I tell him to do it while I sit in the car but I warn him not to damage the stud and to avoid damaging the adapter. (Keep in mind again, these are forged pieces of hardward and are no joke)

Long story short.... well just see for yourself

Imagine how mad you would be, then multiply it times 10. We ended up having to put the Longchamps back on and leave it donk style up front. I was so frustrated that I knew I may physically harm him if he stayed and kept talking around things. So I told him to leave.

Stay tuned for the more fun part.

·
Registered
EJ205'D STM RS
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #678 · (Edited)
Alright. So a few weeks pass by and I finally get my friend to give me a hand in taking of the smashed ball of metal that is now a combo stud-nut.

We tried a socket that has jagged teeth in it that's meant to dig in to the nut and grab it off even if there aren't solid sidewalls... that didn't work

So then we basically came to the conclusion that we're just gonna have to try to chisel through the nut to get it to break off around the stud (Hopefully without ruining the stud completely or the adapter...

Then we basically said, alright, screw the stud it's gonna have to be replaced.

THEN we basically said, alright, screw the adapter I'm gonna have to buy a new one.

Annnnnd yeah

And before you say "well you could've just done this..." we thought of every possible option. My friend is very very knowledgeable with subarus and I trust that he knows the best way to get things done, even if it means destroying a perfectly good adapter.

Eventually he came back over and replaced the stud for me then trimmed it down to size again for future adapter use. Now I had just the front raised up on stock wheels and monster snow tires.

·
Registered
EJ205'D STM RS
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #679 · (Edited)
So... now back to the end goal of getting the car raised up, on stock wheels, with winter tires and fully functional.

Ah yes, the KYB AGX's that don't have studs, instead you have to use a bolt and nut. Now luckily the rear still had the bolts and nuts with them. That's a positive. But, imagine having to hold the strut in, line up the long wobbly bolts in to the chassis, then have to thread on a nut to those bolts while holding the bolt still... yeah, now imagine doing that in a very very cramped space as I'm sure anybody who has replace rear struts will know.

Yeah... it sucked. I didn't take any pictures but it took 3 hours one night and another 2 hours the next night between myself and another friend of mine. Don't EVER buy struts that don't have studs for the tophats. Ever.

And here it is after all of that!

FINALLY it's raised up... and ready to sell! The secondary purpose to me raising the car up and putting stock wheels on it was to sell the car since people are anti-ruined subaru stance flush AND people are cheap and don't want to pay the 1.5k to have the wheels (that are worth more than that) and coilovers on the car. I was going to list the car for 12.5K as it sat with stock suspension, wheels and tires. Plus fog covers and then sell off all of my spare parts, including the rare wheels and Orciari Lip. Once all sold I would be buying an 03 or 04 Tacoma to use as a daily.

But... that never happened. Read on

·
Registered
EJ205'D STM RS
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #680 · (Edited)
Alright guys. Here comes the big one.

Now that the car was raised up and essentially "ready to go" it was time to part ways. I planned on listing up the Subaru once I got my Mercedes running well enough to use as a temp daily (alternator needs replacing). But for the time being I drove her around for a few days. This entire time by the way I had been driving my dad's frankentruck S10 that he's had for a very long time.

But, before I even had a chance to list it for sale something happened. An acquaintance posted up his race-prepped, extremely well engineered and constructed Integra GSR for sale. As a semi-serious comment I mentioned that we should trade cars. And... after a few weeks of talking things out hashed out a deal.

My car as it was, plus the Longchamps and coilovers, plus every spare part I had (which was a lot) but minus the other two sets of rare wheels I had for his car as it was plus every spare part he had (which was a lot). This person by the way has a very good reputation and his car is one of the best built racing vehicles I've seen in person. Here are the images he sent me.

And this is what it looked like in its prime

Oh and here's the modlist

2000 Acura Integra GSR

Engine
  • GSR J spec Block 81mm Bore
  • GSR Head
  • 98+ ITR Pistons
  • 00 CTR Cams
  • GSR Crank
  • ITR crank Pulley
  • ACL Race Main and Rod Bearings
  • Intake Butterflies Removed
  • Fuel Labs 10 Micron Fuel Filter w/ Billet Clamp
  • B&R Black Fitting & Teflon Hose AN -6 Fuel Line
  • Hasport billet Mounts with 88a inserts
  • Moroso Baffled Oil Pan
  • Walbro 450lph Fuel Pump with 10Ga Relayed Wiring
  • Kamikaze Big Tube Header
  • Apexi Ws2 Exhaust
  • Test Pipe
  • Tuned on Chrome
  • Rywire Jumper Harness
  • Mishimoto Dual Core Aluminum Radiator
  • Flex-a-lite Slim Fan

Transmission
  • GSR Transmission
  • Exedy Light Weight Flywheel
  • Exedy 6 Puck Clutch Disc
  • Mfactory Shifter Bushings
  • Powerneedy Motorsport Extended Shifter
  • OEM Axles

Suspension
  • Eibach Multi-Pro R2 2 Way Coilover Suspension
  • ASR Rear Subframe Brace
  • Type R Rear Sway Bar
  • Spherical Rear Sway Bar End Links
  • Powerneedy Motorsports Stitch Welded Subframe

Interior
  • Powerneedy Motorsports Tig’d 6 Point Cage w/ Gusseting on A/B pillars
  • Cobra Sebring Pro Carbon w/ Outlast Alcantra Seats x2
  • Powerneedy Motorsports Seat Mounts x2
  • Powerneedy Motorsports Carbon Fiber Panel w/ Carlyle Rocker Switches
  • Crow Racing 5 Point Harness x2
  • OEM ITR Armrest Delete
  • OEM ITR Airbag Delete
  • OEM ITR Red Stitched Shift Boot
  • OEM ITR Clock Delete
  • Powerneedy Motorsports Power Cut Switch & wiring
  • Duracell Race Battery

Body
  • Integra Type R Front End Conversion
  • OEM Type R Bumper
  • OEM Type R Front Lip
  • Powerneedy Motorsports Carbon Fiber 30mm Front Fenders
  • Powerneedy Motorsports Carbon Fiber Vented Hood w/ Aero catch, and Quik Latch Hood Pins
  • Powerneedy Motorsports Carbon Fiber Roof
  • APR GTC200 Carbon Fiber Spoiler
  • Front Half Completely Stitch Welded
  • Shaved Bay & Painted
  • Front End completely Painted with PPG
  • Tucked Harness from Heat
  • Trimmed Rear Bumper For Air Flow

Brakes
  • StopTech ST40 Red 4 Piston 12.9 x 1.1" Brakes
  • StopTech Stainless Brake lines F&R
  • StopTech Street Brake Pads Front
  • Rebuilt OEM Rear Caliper