Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Depends on the overlay but you can do it without taking the needles off. You just move the needles (gently!) to the 12oclock position or something and slip them on. I think there is was a tutorial on nasioc a long long time ago when I first put my indiglo ones on. Heard of too many people screwing it up taking off the needles.

·
Registered
173 Posts
As long as you are gently and don't force them to move past where they are intended to move, they'll be fine. Temp and gas are a bit stiff but I didn't really have to move mine at all to slip on. The speedo and tach ones move pretty freely, which is good since you have to move them to the 12'oclock position (maybe 10) to get them on and to clear the plastic reset thing. They'll swing downwards on their own, either towards the zero or towards the redline/max. After you put on the overlay make sure you sure the needles are on the zero side. Also make sure you use your fingers to hold down the overlay while you are slipping them on so it doesn't put a lot of pressure on the needles and break them off.

btw if you have an overlay that needs power (indiglo) good place to wire them is off the ash tray light. The light there is switched with all the rest of the dash/headlights stuff, you don't have to fiddle with dash wires, and they aren't affected by the dash dimmer.

·
Registered
03 WRX Wagon
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How can you slide the overlay off when the needles are clipped in, i have one sitting right in front of me, and i still cant figure it out... Sorry i must be slow today.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS
1,171 Posts
just as a warning. i was trying to sand off the green film behind the face a couple of years ago and had to take the needles off. once i put them back on, they acted funny.

so just saying that it can go wrong. i ended up buying a whole new gauge pod. there was talk of someone being able to recalibrate, but i could never find anyone to do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts