Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know at one point the "grounding mod" was discussed ad-nauseam. However, I have a question about where exactly, for people that have done this, should the grounding points be mad?. I've done a search here and there but couldn't find any good information. I got myself a "Hot Earth System" and want to give it a try. The box it comes in shows a boxer motor on the cover with it installed but the picture has most of the locations obscured. When I do this I will be taking pictures and making a mod page for ScoobyMods so I wanted to do a good job installing it with the best info I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Peaty

www.Scoobymods.com

PS: anyone that has installed the "Hot Earth System" specifically would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Not by experience with the gounding mod, but with audio amps you always want ground leads to be 18" or less. So, my assumption would be that would apply to this mod as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i am curious how exactly does this grounding mod worl. I have seen the kits that you can get with a shit load of gold connectors and #8 wire but what the hell does it do. When i think of this what are you grounding a car is not grounded it is insulated from it, is this a referrence to the negative leading to the frame back to the battery? Please fill me in, it may seem like a dumb question but no one has given me a actual answer on it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i'm also interested in the grounding system.
read it in one of the tuning magazines and they reported
true dyno hp gains. forgot how many. but gains nonetheless.

Peaty keep updating this thread on this mod.
few question;
where did you purchase it and how much?
hopefully some butt dyno results soon.

thanks alot.

milzen:) :) :)

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
18 Posts
i saw the grounding kit on kastleskorner i think it said there is 5 wires, so that means there is 10 points of a attachmanet for the these ground wires, does it tell you where they are? If so does anybody know where they are i would like to know. Can anyone help me out.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you look at my link in the second post down I have some pics.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I posted this on another board, thought you all might want to see it.

Grounding mod
They help the electrical system, if your factory grounds are painted over/corroded/not tight/etc etc. then the signals being sent to the ecu can be off. Adding extra ground wires makes sure that there are no faulty signals due to a bad ground. All of the sensors on your motor measure certain voltage ranges (ie.front O2 sensor 0.1v-5v), if the ground is intermittent or corroded(read higher resistance) then the ecu might not be seeing the true situation(it may see .8v instead of 1v). Doesn't sound that major to most people but when that is all the ecu has to rely on it can be bad over time.

Would I pay over $25 for one of those kits?? No.
Do they increase HP or Torque? No.
Do they help smooth out rough idle?? Yes if faulty grounds were the culprit.
Is it a good idea?? Yes since most factory ground spots are painted over and it could/will not harm your car.
Do they improve throttle response? Nominal if any, although the feeling of a smoother running engine might trick your mind to believe so.

With all of that said if you want Motorola spec ground straps for a fair price get in touch with me. They are flat braid copper tinned straps, from the leading experts in the electronics field.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting. I've been having a weird electrical problem lately that I can only conclude to be a loose/faulty ground.

Maybe i'll try this next weekend. Don't know about $100 for some 4 gauge with connectors. Seems a little steep to me. It's worth a shot anyway I guess :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has anyone seen the HYPERGROUND SYSTEM braided outside cover for looks and like 1200 strands of copper inside. Since current only travels on the outside of each strand they are a good setup. I havent got them yet but I saw dyno tests where on a stock 4 cyl. average results gained 2-3 HP. vehicles with high flow exhaust and intakes gained a little more. Has any body tried these?

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The system I have is HyperGround:

On the site I got it from they just call it "Hot Earth"

Yes the cables are very good quality multi-stranded:

Again more details here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1197

However 2-4 BHP I don't know. At the wheel that's what like <1-2? I'm not sure that would be noticable. It seems to run better though for me. YMMV

Peaty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts