Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK. So 6 months ago I was hearing a grinding sound from the front right. Took it to a freind of ours to get them checked out. He took the front right rotor off and on the inside the metal was just grinded to shreds. I was thinking its time for a brake upgrade. My stepdad was thinking cheap and just got the rotor replaced. Well i've been driving since then, and theres been a really high pitched squeaking almost every time I brake (like the sound when the pads are getting really worn, and its pretty loud) and there are times where the noise happens for a while when i'm just driving, not braking, then gets louder when I brake. Well now I just went for a drive and the grinding sound is back. There is brake dust all over my wheel (not to mention, the whole wheel is much hotter than the rest of the wheels).

Ok, so i'm assuming this is definitely a caliper problem? Once again, I don't know brakes all that well so help me out. Does this sound like the caliper needs to be replaced? or is it something more/less than that.

·
Registered
1999, Subaru, RS 2.5 AWD, Silv
343 Posts
Switch07 said:
OK. So 6 months ago I was hearing a grinding sound from the front right. Took it to a freind of ours to get them checked out. He took the front right rotor off and on the inside the metal was just grinded to shreds. I was thinking its time for a brake upgrade. My stepdad was thinking cheap and just got the rotor replaced. Well i've been driving since then, and theres been a really high pitched squeaking almost every time I brake (like the sound when the pads are getting really worn, and its pretty loud) and there are times where the noise happens for a while when i'm just driving, not braking, then gets louder when I brake. Well now I just went for a drive and the grinding sound is back. There is brake dust all over my wheel (not to mention, the whole wheel is much hotter than the rest of the wheels).

Ok, so i'm assuming this is definitely a caliper problem? Once again, I don't know brakes all that well so help me out. Does this sound like the caliper needs to be replaced? or is it something more/less than that.
Check to see if your brake pads are unevenly worn. Sounds like you have a seized caliper. If so, you would need to replace it.

·
Registered
2005 RSC
1,131 Posts
I have a sound coming from the front end too; not really sure what it is though. I'd say it's more of a rattling noise and my car only makes this noise when I let off the gas and don't push in the clutch; I dunno maybe this is normal; the car is an 05 RS.

·
Premium Member
2002 Aspen White WRX (sedan)
2,402 Posts
gray_scoob_punk said:
I have a sound coming from the front end too; not really sure what it is though. I'd say it's more of a rattling noise and my car only makes this noise when I let off the gas and don't push in the clutch; I dunno maybe this is normal; the car is an 05 RS.
Do you have any aftermarket exhaust pieces? My obx el headers rattle when i do that.

·
The Truth.
2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
5,389 Posts
Check the heat shields, wait until the car is cooled down, get underneath the car and just see if you can move around any heat shield parts that would possibly be hitting up against some things.

·
Registered
2005 RSC
1,131 Posts
will do that first thing tomorrow; I was under it a few days ago locating the exhaust leak; looks I did drag out on the ground somewhere and some of the heatshield was dent up. I may have knocked it lose or it could be sitting right against my exhaust; will check that and get back to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts