Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After work today I met up with the seller dude at the licence bureau, did the paperwork, paid him money, attached new plates and drove home in my new (to me) 98 IMPREZA 2.5RS COUPE!!!!!

Yessssss!! I am one freakin happy guy!

Well, "drove home" is a bit misleading. I did end up at home but only after about 2 hours on the twistiest country roads I could find. :biglaugh:

The car is bone stock, black with the MY98 gold wheels. From what I'm told by the Subaru locals, rare as hens teeth. Now I can finally brag right back at my wife who recently bought a new 2002 OBS. Subies rock!

At 84K kms (52K miles) the original RE92's are shot so on Monday I'll replace them with a decent performance-leaning all-season compromise tire, Dunlop SP Sport A2. Its a long snowy winter up here and I hafta have at least SOME winter traction. From the reviews and recommendations on this tire, I will be looking to see a clear improvement in dry/wet performance over the Potenzas.

When the basics are done - new rubber, pads and belts - I'll do some stereo work then look into intake and exhaust. I really don't intend to mod the hell out of the car, just some basic tuning.

I have a couple newbie questions tho...

1) Skidplates. I will be "rallying" the car (not competition). I have a long gravel road to get to my cottage which is perfect for going down sideways. Its rocky in spots so I'd like to protect the oil pan and maybe differential. Any recommendations?

2) Intake. Weapon R?

3) Exhaust. Cat back recommendations?

4) Spark plugs?

5) Fuel. Any benefit to higher octane? I can get 94 locally.

6) What the hell is a snorkus and why dont I want one?

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Thanks in advance for the help from the group and I am delighted to join up!

Cheers! :sunny:

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5 RSTi
324 Posts
Hey congrats on the new suby. I have a 2000 RS coupe and i love it. I am jealous of the gold rims stock on your car, they look stylish. O on the octane question.... I don't think there is any benefit in putting in higher octane then recommmended... the car cannot burn it any better and therefore i don't think there is any performance gains... plus it just costs more... someone back me up on this that is what i have heard. anyway good luck with the sube and get ready to have all kinda people stare at your ride!

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I'll answer octane - no difference unless you are running a turbo. Congrats on the new RS. :biggest:

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Welcome. :) A snorkus is plastic crap after your air filter box. It's there to make the car quiet. Since you'll be getting an intake, it'll have to go anyway.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just dont wreck it on that road.... its a very sad day when a new suby owner doesnt know what he'she is doing and destroys their new car!!!

Kurt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts