Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ello,
It's Markus the limey! As the song by Staind says "it's been a while..." and it has.

Thought i'd drop in and say "hi!"

Once again I'm flying back to the USA in two weeks time, won't be around St Louis that much (off to louisville and possibly elsewhere).

The car is going great, apart from some body damage, which will get fixed at some point, plus an intermittent clutch pedal stick :eek: and power steering fluid leak.

The major problem at the moment is... OVERBOOST, and a lot of it! before having a new clutch (Helix organic) fitted I could floor the accel pedal and it would hit 0.8bar no probs, now, post clutch fit, if I floor it the boost gauge sails past 0.8bar, usually onto about 1.1 or higher! then a few seconds later the fuel cut hits (as it's set by standard at 0.9 bar) this causes me to eat windsheild (not nice) and look like and idiot who can't shift properly! not good at all.

now this mesage might be a waste, as I'm going to clean the boost soleniod and wastegate with some brake cleaner as it might fix things, but if not, I'm looking at getting a boost controller, and a nice GREDDY one would match my GREDDY turbo timer.

So the question is, as i'm out in the USA in two weeks time, where in the St Louis (preferably near Columbia, IL) area sells GREDDY goods (and do they have an online store?) Also ,what exactly do I need? Profec A? Profec B?

Reason for getting one from USA is due to it being cheaper, plus can stick it in my luggage and not pay import duty on it, well, hopefully ;) might say it's a gift for a friend ;) :D

Anyway, can anyone give any advice?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
good to hear from you Marcus!

GReedy products...hmm. most everything here is mail order but there are a couple of rice shops in St louie that might sell what you're looking for, though i hate to tell anyone to go to them. there's nothing i know of in columbia. i'll have to look up the names of the shops, the only one i can remember off the top of my head is lightspeed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really did not expect there to be anything in Columbia! :D

Any addresses of places would be welcome, especially if they ship to the UK, but if not then not too much of a problem as I can get it shipped to our US office and either pick it up, or get them to forward it onto me in the UK.

Why the objection with the STL based rice places? bad experiences? (email if you want to keep it off the bbs)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
not being a riceboy, i've never gone to them. however, i do know people that have and basically they don't know shit about cars at all and most of their business consists of selling lots of colorful lights and big exhaust tips :rolleyes: not very performance oriented. give me a couple of days and i can call them up and see if they carry GReddy products. Is there a particular part you want?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically after an electronic boost controller, and I believe it's called Profec A or a Profec B.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another Brit in Saint Louis, you going to be there the weekend of the 19. There is an i-club drive and meet.
If you find any performance shops in saint louis let me know, I haven't been able to find any.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The Profec-B is the cheaper unit, though doesn't have as many function of the Profec-A. I know that a 2.5L-Turbo RS in St. Louis (Jewbaru) used a Profec A controller and took it off because it was causing boost problems. Some WRX guys use the Profec B, and seem to be happy with it.

Honestly though, if I bought a electronic controller, it would be the Blitz SBC-iD, with the dual solenoid. This is the best unit on the market, with Fuzzy Logic to learn your boost curve, and also very spike preventative seeing it has two solenoids.

Graham

1 - 7 of 7 Posts