Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS
110 Posts
Could you tell me a bit about it? Is it a piggy back engine management system? ive ever heard of it until now. Currently im using a Unichip. Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a piggyback fuelcomputer. But with optional modules you can also manage ignition timing, boost, etc.
It's got an USB port so you can change things in real time.

I asked a tuning shops for some prices :rolleyes:

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
E-Manage rocks! I wrote/re-wrote the instructions on the yahoo group. The Emanage is almost a Unichip and a much lower cost. The only (ONLY) downside is lack of support from GReddy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi 'Boy'

could you post a link to the 'Yahoo E-manage group'.
Thx.

The tuningshop gave me price for installation and tuning,
but suggested there were -even- cheaper solutions
(don't know what yet).

I thought the Unichip was for the turbo cars?

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
The Unichip is a piggyback similar to the emanange but it has boost control, knock sensor, a/f adjustment (from O2 sensor) built in. The E-Manage provides basic S-AFC type tuning out of the box (5 RPM knobs on the front of the main unit) but the cool thing is you can add IDC control, additional injectors, timing control, air flow meter (MAF/MAP) adjustment, swap MAF/MAP, upgrade injectors, add a secondary 3-bar MAP sensor ("boost sensor"), interact and program directly from the GReddy E-01 boost controller or laptop.

Sorry if I sound like a salesman but I really am impressed with the E-Manage. The website is http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/emanage/ This is the general E-Manage forum (the subaru link is dead). Feel free to email/PM me with any questions.

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS
110 Posts
The E-manage sounds like a nice piece of work! I love mu Unichip though, and i have lachute suabaru who can tune then in no time perfectly. Also, I think the Unichip might not be enough for my new engine Im getting by the end of the month, we'll have to see, I may have to go stand alone, but I really dont want to!

Dan:)

PS: Thanks for clarifying the differences, I learned something new.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
dcoty, you're in a different league than most N/A RS folks. For less than the price of an S-AFC and an ITC (if you can even find one any more) you can pick up the E-Manage brand new with software, additional injection, and ignition harnesses. If you look around you can get an E-Manage "complete" for under $300 (mine was $250 used). I love it so far, the problem with it is 0 (ZERO) support from GReddy. Most of the install instructions are in Engrish and there are a ton of typos in the manual. Tuning it with the laptop is a breeze though, very intuitive but you must have at a minimum a decent Air/Fuel gauge or (preferably) an EGT and A/F.

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS
110 Posts
BOY-
True, I guess I am, and the Emanage sounds like one of the biggest bangs for the buck ive seen for engine management! Too bad about the lack of support, but it really is a complete package and a great price for it too. A big plus is how easy it is to tune, the Unichip isnt too tough, but I tried tuning a Tec II with my brother for an afternoon...most frustrating experience of my life in a car, but we got it done, sorta.
Dan:)

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Dan, I've messed with the TEC once... you're right not fun... The Link isn't bad, a little advanced for me though. The E-Manage main unit isn't a complete package but with the optional bits you're right, best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I see a number of references to the use of the E-manage in MY99 cars - but has anyone sucessfully used it, with the optional harnesses of course, in a MY00 or MY01?

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
The install instructions I wrote up were based on a MY 00 or 01 intsall (a successful one at that). The settings aren't listed in any of the GReddy manuals but GReddy recommends (and the settings make sense) to use a specific Toyota pressure sensor. The ignition system is the same for our two cars, the fuel control is where things may get flaky... I've heard of voltage problems with the toyota settings that preclude you from using parts of the Air Flow Adujstment map, you still have the additional injection map though and I've yet to have any real confirmation of these alleged problems. I can say that the instructions I read had some of the wiring wrong, and you really have to watch what your doing on the install b/c some of the wires are so close together on the OE harness that its easy to make a mistake (I did, several times). If you find one used, go for it even if you only get 90% of the E-Manage working, you're still way better off than an S-AFC alone... and you can probably find a Unichip cheap but finding a way to tune it shoots your budget out of the water. If you have to buy new, I'd suggest you wait until I can work with someone with a MY00+ since I've done so much leg work I should be able to either 1. find mistakes on an install or 2. confirm that it will or will not work.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 2.0GX Impreza is hardly comparable with the WRX, so could
someone tell me what make/model of ECU the 2.5RS has ?
Just to know for the future what kind of electronics or mods work on RS's and GX's. (eg. Greddy settings)
Been following the supercharger thread and i HOPE that the kit will fit my car too.
(MY01)

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Well, are you MAF or MAP based? If MAP based then the 2.5 RS settings that use the toyota sensor should work fine. If you're MAF based then you'll need to do a little more research/experimenting. I used the GC8 WRX settings for my MAF based 99 RS and so far so good... I did notice a -1% correction on the Air Flow Adjustment map even when the software was zeroized but I think that's the only incongruity between the WRX MAF and the RS. The E-Manage is universal enough that we should be able to find a setting that will work with the 2.0. The ignition system should be the same (2 coil, wasted spark) so the only trick will be finding out the correct alternate Air Flow Meter type (mass air or speed density) and getting an ECU diagram for your particular model.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
BUMP up for the E-Manage thread

I just joined the Yahoo group, hope to be E-Managing my RS soon.

BOY:
Has Greddy gotten off their ass to support yet?
Any new developments on your system?
Tips on where to buy for a decent price besides Ebay? Thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Decided to wait for ecutek.co.uk to reverse engineer the AF633.
Flashing original ecu seems much more safer way to go.
(meanwhile I had someone suggesting HKS F-con S, but those are WAY expensive).

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
GReddy still sucks.
My system is running great, a bit rich, but smooth and fast.
For new prices, http://www.Mohdparts.com/emanage/, for used you've got E-bay and the various forums.

dpjef, I may eventually reflash too but I'd retain the E-Manage for quick fixes (like bad gas, race gas, etc).

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
dpjef said:
Decided to wait for ecutek.co.uk to reverse engineer the AF633.
Flashing original ecu seems much more safer way to go.
(meanwhile I had someone suggesting HKS F-con S, but those are WAY expensive).
Yeah, we here in the states have been waiting for Cobb Tuning to reverse engineer the ECU on our NA 2.5 motors and release AccessECU...and waiting...and waiting....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts