Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering on your guys opinion on the Grand AM coupe. I was bored so I test drove one today. I personally thought that it looked great and with the right kit and wing could look very skyline like. having said that I was very unimpressed with the performance of the auto(all that they had for 2 doors). The cornering was kinda floaty, and torque steer on the wet roads was rampant. The interior was completely wrong for the car color( tan cloth in a black car) but at least is felt good. Having said all this I was thinking that with AWD, some good coilovers, forced injection, black leather seats, and some personal touches on the body, I'd love that car. Well except for the 3900 lbs part. I think I'll stick with looking for my impreza coupe though.

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
the grand am's have come a LONG way...i love the new GT's with the 3400 but it still is a GM product and they STILL have the same problems they used to. They are definitely coming along but after now working for honda nad driving my car i wil most likely never buy a domestic car again...truck maybe but the tundra is pretty bad ASS!!! Oh yeah and toruqe steer on a GM?? ar eyou kidding me?? lol j/p....GM FWD's are famous for it, you think they MIGHT consider equal length driveshafts to counter act this...but NOPE!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I drove a Grand Prix GTP a while back.. (The supercharged Grand Prix)

It was pretty nice.. nothing to get all excited about. About a 6.8 0-60.. It suffered from some pretty crazy torque steer.. It was all over the place from a standing start...

But oh well.. pretty fun but ugly looking IMO.

http://www.auto.com/reviews/swan_grand_prix_gtp.htm

·
Registered
11 Posts
I always specify I want a GrandAM as a rental when I'm on business. Best domestic car in it's class in my opinion.

But that's for a daily driver. It wouldn't be worth the money or effort to get it to where it would be a good sports driver IMO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
***********DO NOT BUY A GRAND Am*******************

I am leasing a 1999 Grand Am GT with the ram air.It looks good but it is a junker.It has been in the shop so often that Pontiac is trying to get me into a Grand Prix and take the car back.The only catch is I have to start a lease over again and I have 6 months left on this one.
It has 28,000 miles on it.My wife drives it like baby so it is not abused at all.The oil is changed every 3000 miles.

Problems I have had.
1.both seats wear in the same spot and they have replaced them 6 times and with in a week it starts to wear again.
2.Pontiac told us the tires were not compatable with the car so it makes a roaring noise all the time but wont replace them because it is not a safety hazard.
3.the auto locks change at will ,sometimes all doors will lock and sometimes only the drivers or passagers will lock.
4.Radio goes from low to high volume on its own,They replaced the radio and it does it less now
5.the low coolant light comes on then after about 2 miles it turns off
6.when you put the car in park with the car running every 2-3 min.the horn beeps on its own
7.Sometimes going around turns the steering feels like its a manual steering then suddenly gets easy again
8.sometimes all the gauges go to maximum levels then back again
speed odometer too

So go ahead and buy one and if you think my car is the only one that does it no no no I have a friend with one with the same problems except he bought his and when we were at the dealer a women just got hers and guess what was wrong a roaring noise from the tires:eek:

H

·
0 Posts
I call it a Gran Damn for a reason. I will not buy another domestic vehicle for a daily driver again, ever. My Bronco - front brakes locked on anything slicker than dry pavement, with maybe 5lbs of pressure by the foot. Caused me to run into a concrete wall, and almost through a woman into a gas pump. My Grand Cherokee - 20-some-odd times to the dealer in the first year and a half, before it was cured of all that ailed it. My 3 Subarus - I put 80k miles between the three of them, and the RS had a hvac fan replaced due to squeaking, the L had the gear oil replaced due to leaking/wrong fluid ('98), and the '92 was perfect until the end.

As a wheeling machine, or for a Truck, I'll buy American, but well used. I think it's unethical to buy a big truck for a daily driver, so all it has to do is haul stuff every once and a while, no leather needed. The Tundra is a great truck, but as far as hauling a load, I still don't think it stands up to a great old American truck. Unfortunately it's perfect for 90% of the posers out there buying 4x4 pickups that will never see dirt, in the bed or under the tires.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn I knew build quality on domestics was questionable these days but I had no idea they could be that bad. No worries on me buying the grandam they are in the same price range as the impreza and both are out of my ball park at the moment. If I was buying a truck It would be just for playing in the mud, and it would be an old Internation Scout II. Dads a carpenter so I can borrow the ford if I need to haul a load around.

·
Registered
171 Posts
They called the other day to say umm with all the problems you are having we are going to change the computer module in it to see if that helps.
The fun continues

1 - 10 of 10 Posts