Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pulled over for the first time in my life lastnight, it was about 1:00 in the morning. I was making a u-turn and there was a cop two cars behind me. And when the light changed and i started to turn i noticed the cop was all out just staring at my car.
So i'm driving along at speed limit, and the cop car approachs my side, and paces my car for about a minute, then he slows to about 20 mph and moves in behind me. He didnt hit his lights yet, but i knew i was screwed. I guess he was running my plates at the moment, then a minute later the lights go on and i'm pulling over to the right side of the road.

The ticket was for my intake, exhaust, and windshield banner. The ticket says:

26708(a) VC - Stickers front windshield
27151 VC - Mod. Muffler
27156(b) VC - Mod. Air Intake

Windshield Banner - So i checked the vehicle code, and apparently stickers on any windows are illegal. I think its pretty stupid though seeing as how my sunvisors go down farther than my windshield banner. But i guess since it's illegal i cant fight that one at all.

Exhaust - The cop told me that it is illegal to modify exhaust in any way. But i looked up this little section in the vehicle code as well and found something that might let me fight this in court. It reads:

Modification of exhaust systems
27151. No person shall modify exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle so that the vehicle is not compliance with the provisions of Section 27151 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with section 27200) of this chapter. No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

It basically says that i CAN modify my exhast as long as it still complies with the noises limits and what not. I want to fight this part in court. Is there a way to totally prove that the exhaust is legally?

Intake - Yeah i know this is illegal too, so i'm not gonna bother fighting this.

Lemme know what i can do or if you can help me out here.

Thanks.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Paul,

Check that vehicle code some more. Stickers on the front windshield are legal so long as you put them in a few specific areas. I do not have my vehicle code handy, but I recall that from a while ago.

The exhaust is legal unless it is louder than stock, or by some set decible level. Check that one also.

The intake is not legal if it is not CARB certified. It's a fix it ticket as I recall.

HOWEVER... I also recall that if a police car follows you for more than a mile (or some length, you'll have to look this one up as well) it has in some cases been classified as HARRASMENT. He was basically following you and trying to find some excuse to pull you over. If he wanted to pull you over, he should have done it right off the bat. What, he wanted to see what kind of person you were and then pull you over and give you tickets for whatver he could find?

Now, what kind of car was he in? A black and white or udnercover? If it was the undercover car the ticket might be invalid because some civil laws say that police have to drive plainly marked and identifiable cars which are blue and white or black and white. There's been court cases on that before.

There's all sorts of fascinating things I could tell you about radar and airplanes, but that doesn't seem to apply here. Shame.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, well i found out the measurments for the decals on the windshield and i'm gonna measure it tomorrow.

As for the exhaust, the vehicle code says it has to be under 95 decibles. Mine is loud but i dunno how loud 95 decibles is. Do you know how to find out how loud my exhaust is? If it is under 95 decibles then would it be legal?

I have a weapon r hyper intake, and i found this on their website:
Weapon* R is in the process of obtaining the Carb numbers from the Air resources Bureau. WE anticipate that all intake systems will be Carb Legal in the coming months. If you have already purchased a Weapon*R Intake and would like a Carb# certificate sent to you, please call our main offices at (650) 992-9669 and we will send you one as soon as we get approved. Expected date of approval. 6/30/99
It seems they havent updated it seeing as how it says 99. But tomorrow i'm going to place a phone call to them and ask if they have a carb#.

I hope this works out... How much do you think the ticket is gonna be when it comes in the mail?

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
You can buy a SPL meter (Sound Pressure Level) from Radio Shack. $20 when I bought one some years back. Measure from 3 feet away to get accurate readings. However, check into how the vehicle code says it's supposed to be measured.

The intake, without a CARB EO number, is still illegal. Get the cert and you're good to go, but otherwise...

As far as price, I was under the impression these were fix-it tickets. I don't know any more, though, so read through the VC until you find something. It has all the answers...

·
Registered
95 Posts
there are some states where it is totally illegal to modify your exhaust AT ALL. regardless of sound. MA and NH are two of them...though it's not always enforced.

as for the intake, that's news to me...never knew about that, so I guess I will be careful.

with the windsheild banner...it is legal to a point. Look on your windsheild, and you will see little marks on both sides of the windsheild. Generally about 6" from the top. Anything above those marks is legal...anything below them is illegal.

H

·
0 Posts
But here's a catch. You didn't MODIFY your exhaust, did you? You REPLACED it. If that muffler you've got on there is not louder than the allowable limit, is it any less legal than a Midas $39.95 POS special? Do you need a CARB number for the exhaust? I find it silly, as the muffler itself couldn't possibly foul up your emissions. I find it hard to believe the intake poses a problem. That's just lame. How did the cop know you had an intake? Don't they have to ask for permission to search your car? Does the aftermarket exhaust proove to be enough to be considered "probably cause" for searching the car? I swear. Some cops are the biggest dicks. Don't they have anything better to do than to pester people about stickers, intakes, and exhausts?

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
JGard18 said:
there are some states where it is totally illegal to modify your exhaust AT ALL. regardless of sound. MA and NH are two of them...though it's not always enforced.

as for the intake, that's news to me...never knew about that, so I guess I will be careful.

with the windsheild banner...it is legal to a point. Look on your windsheild, and you will see little marks on both sides of the windsheild. Generally about 6" from the top. Anything above those marks is legal...anything below them is illegal.
Funny the WHOLE idea of SEMA is to prevent things like this, they did a test a few months back on 5 of the LOUDEST exhaust systems and not ONE of thenm failed the vechile noise ordiance clause as tested by the state...did the officer HAVE a Decible meter?? I DOUBT IT!! w/o a CARB EO number your intake is illegal in cali. The windsheild sticker is VERY fightable seeing as how sunshades up to 6" are legal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
horatio102 said:
How did the cop know you had an intake? Don't they have to ask for permission to search your car?
As i was getting my registration he told me to pop my hood. And i know if i didn't pop it he would probably go harder on me or something.

Originally posted by Hndatch627
Funny the WHOLE idea of SEMA is to prevent things like this, they did a test a few months back on 5 of the LOUDEST exhaust systems and not ONE of thenm failed the vechile noise ordiance clause as tested by the state...did the officer HAVE a Decible meter?? I DOUBT IT!! w/o a CARB EO number your intake is illegal in cali. The windsheild sticker is VERY fightable seeing as how sunshades up to 6" are legal.

Alright, so would these 5 LOUDEST exhaust systems pass in CA? Cause i know over here 95 decibles is the limit. But no clue how much that is. Anyways the stock air box is back in the car, and i measured the windshield banner and it should be legal where it is. So i gotta fight that one in court. Now i need to get the car smogged to show that my exhaust is straight up legal.

Thanks everyone for your insight and help.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I'd say the windshield sticker goes. It's non-removeable / movable like the sun shades. I.e., You can have limo black tint on your car in CA only if it's non-permanent. If it's permanent, it's illegal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RS25.com said:
I'd say the windshield sticker goes. It's non-removeable / movable like the sun shades. I.e., You can have limo black tint on your car in CA only if it's non-permanent. If it's permanent, it's illegal.
Alrght i guess i'll get rid of it then

H

·
0 Posts
Hmm. That's tricky. I don't know if it is legal for him to tell you to allow him to search your vehicle.
For future reference, you might ask the cop (as politely as possible) if he is asking you for permission to search under the hood, or if he is ordering you to allow him to search under the hood. If he returns and asks you to let him search, then the ball is in your court. If he's ordering you to open the hood so he can search, that might qualify as an invasion of privacy and or a violation of your rights. I'm certainly no legal expert, but I think the cop was out of line.

H

·
0 Posts
I'll talk to a sheriff friend of mine and see what he says... of course Cali law is different from Wa law.

edit: He wasn't home.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
SCC magazine has several articles on this VERY subject. I'll see what I can do to get them to you... Do you have a fast internet connection? I might just scan the darn articles and email them to you. Like 6-10 pages. Very interesting reading.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I for one would be interested in seeing these articles even though I haven't done anything wrong; I would just like it for an interesting read if you want to post those. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RS25.com said:
SCC magazine has several articles on this VERY subject. I'll see what I can do to get them to you... Do you have a fast internet connection? I might just scan the darn articles and email them to you. Like 6-10 pages. Very interesting reading.

Yeah, I have a DSL connection. Thank you very much, I'm interested in seeing these articles.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I'm very hung over today, so it'll have to be tomorrow. And the alternator in my truck died last night so I HAVE to fix that. Or I can't get to work tomorrow. :curse: I'm just having a DAY. :p

H

·
0 Posts
RS25.com said:
I'm very hung over today, so it'll have to be tomorrow. And the alternator in my truck died last night so I HAVE to fix that. Or I can't get to work tomorrow. :curse: I'm just having a DAY. :p

Alternator's a piece of cake. Do the voltage regulator at the same time too... It's only $20 for piece of mind...

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Oh clients have kept me busy. Deadline is Wednesday, but I have not forgotten about you... I will scan them for you as soon as the project is done! :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts