Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my first CEL, I have everything stock, except cat back exhaust, which I had for 4 months without any problems.

My gas cable was a little loose, so I tighten it up, but it turned out that I tightened it too much, the car started idleing at around 2000 - 1500. I went around a block with a few stop signs. and then after 3 minutes I got CEL. I went back and loosened the gas cable to the normal. Turned the car on and - it started to idle back at nornal 800-600, but CEL was still on. Then I let my car cool down for a 4 hours, turned it back on and still CEL.

So my question: does CEL not go away by itself? What should I do? Can I take it to a dealer? What can a dealer do?

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can I do it myself? How do you do it?

Or do I have to take it to a dealer to do that?

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
1995 AWD Brilliant Red Subaru
723 Posts
I believe to reset the ecu...unplug the battery and wait ten mintues. PLug the battery back in...turn car on. Make sure u don't hit the accelerator. Let car run for 5 minutes. Shut off car. Turn car back on..and u should be good to go. Someone corect me if i'm wrong. Try doing a search is no one else replies. There have been a couple threads about this i think. just a thought.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5 RSTi
324 Posts
yah thats how u do it... i have done it a couple of times... i unplugged my battery for 30 mins then plugged it back in and then let it idle for 10 mintes... After that u wanna start it back up and take it for a drive so teh ecu relearns, i usually go for a spirited drive:drool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts