Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Legacy L
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that don't know, I'm running a custom kit on my RS.

VF10 turbo @ 5 pounds
WRX intercooler
Vortech RRFPR
Warlbo 255lph fuel pump
Custom up and down pipes, one cat
Stromung cat back 2.25"
voltage clamp
etc.
etc.

When I had just an intake and exhust on the car, I made 126hp and 145ft/lbs at the wheels.

After installing the turbo, my measurements were 170hp and 190ft/lbs at the wheels. Assuming a 30% drivetrain loss (YYMV) this puts me at about 221hp and 247ft/lbs at the crank. The car was running slighty lean up until about 4500 rpm, and then got richer up until redline.

Not bad I would say for having no real engine management (I don't want to hear it, so don't even start)

I'll try to get the dyno run scanned tonight and post it or something.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Heh, I know you don't want to hear it, but I've blown a motor bad so I have some grounds to say... Watch out for your timing. Us MY00/01 guys have MASSIVE timing advances in the midrange that'll cause bad detonation damn quick. Maybe see if you can find a used J&S knock computer for fairly cheap. ITC's aren't worth the components they are made of if you're even thinking of fine-tuning the timing. :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you tink in terms of '2-wheel drive' it does sound bad.....but with AWD its not..... since all four are putting the torque where it needs to go....into accelleration with twice the contact area on the road! Same car with 2WD will break the tires loose much more quickly and acceleration WILL suffer!!! I think every agrees that they would like to see AWD driveline losses be lower, but realisticly...I've driven a FWD SVX and an AWD SVX....guess which one had the lowest ET!!!:sunny:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nice numbers Impreza Rider. Thats the same kit im doing on my RS. Does the VF10 have a spring to allow you to regulate the boost? I have heard this is not a good turbo for trying to change the boost pressure on the car. In reference to the J&S, that thing is so damn expensive! Is there anyone else out there that makes some sort of an ITC, besides the lousy one from Apexi? I am familiar with the one from SS, but thats pricey as well. It would be nice to see a programmable timing controller on the market, oh well.

Graham

·
Registered
2003 Legacy L
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the wastegate on the turbo is not adjustable. Not sure how I'm going to control boost when I decide to turn it up, once I get some engine management.

8- find anything else about the SplitSecond map thing-a-ma-jig?

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
8Complex said:
Heh, I know you don't want to hear it, but I've blown a motor bad so I have some grounds to say... Watch out for your timing. Us MY00/01 guys have MASSIVE timing advances in the midrange that'll cause bad detonation damn quick. Maybe see if you can find a used J&S knock computer for fairly cheap. ITC's aren't worth the components they are made of if you're even thinking of fine-tuning the timing. :lol:
i can vouch for that...we have no timing then we have LOTSA timing.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Impreza Rider- Do you have any 0-60 times for your setup (possibly on a G-Tech)? I wonder if the Legacy setup @ 5psi enables the car sprint to 60 in under six seconds. That would sure as hell be awesome. Figuring from your numbers, it seems like it should. Take for example the Audi S4. It is claimed to get to sixty in something like 5.8 seconds, right? It has 250 hp and I think 249 lb. ft. of torque. Then take Impreza Riders numbers, 220 hp and 249 lb.ft. of torque, if those are the true crank numbers. Considering the RS is lighter than the S4 by about 300 lbs. (?), it would seem logical that the RS with the Legacy setup @ 5psi would be more than capable of attaining those numbers. Again, apply this to the WRX, which makes 227hp and only 217 lb. ft. of torque and is also about 200 pounds heavier (?). I think it is very possible. Anyway....

Graham

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza W"RS"X BRP
189 Posts
Timing suggestion

Maybe you should try the HPX from Electromotive...
www.getfuelinjected.com
It works like the Ignition Control for the TEC2, but, you tune it under the hood....Looks very promising, oh and Greddy has some new computer controlled box that supposed to control fuel and timing...Its only released in Japan but theres a vendor selling the Jap version in Vendor Classifieds...

Zee:sunny:

·
Registered
2003 Legacy L
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Graham-

0-60 should be about even with a WRX, and the 1/4mile should be slightly quicker with my car. I'm basing this off of playing with a WRX coming back from a rally-x today. From a stop, the cars are very even, with the advantage going to me. I think the RS's short gears cause this, with marginally better acceleration. From a roll, it's all me, since I have full boost by about 2500 rpm, while the WRX is still trying to get the engine to push enough air to spool the turbo...not to mention the huge torque advantage.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That thing looks sweet Templar! Anyone know how much they are asking for the it? Sure sounds like it is a good contender for our tuning troubles.

Graham

·
Registered
272 Posts
Those are good numbers. For comparison, running 5 psi on a legacy turbo with no engine management (just RRFPR and watching EGT's) I was able to gtech 0-60 in 6.22 seconds, and at 6,000 feet that is pretty good (about 1/2 a second slower up here). Since the VF10 is bigger, your times may vary.

Your 30% loss to drivetrain is a good guess, it seems to be between 25-33% from results I have been seeing. When Shiv got 183 hp at the wheels, he estimated he was at close to 250hp which is near your conversion factor.

I figure my 233 wheel hp at 10 psi was about 310 crank with a 25% loss, and about 350 crank with a 33% loss (sounds too high). I'll just settle on claiming 320-330hp which is a 30% loss.

Tires also make a difference, and with snow tires the excessive wheelspin keeps me limited to 5.1 seconds on the gtech, but I expect to see 4.5 seconds or better with sticky tires...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Those sound like good times Larry. Five psi up there would be like 2-3 psi right? The VF10 is larger than the stock Legacy turbo (RBH5 or something)?

I think the Legacy setup sounds very promising as far as performance and speed increase.

Graham

·
Registered
272 Posts
That 5 psi is like 4 psi at sea-level (about 20% less).

I should have clarified, but I have a VF23 ballbearing turbo kit now. And the 233 wheel hp and 0-60 in 5.1 seconds (with too much wheel spin) was with the upgraded turbo kit. Sorry for the confusion.

Larry

1 - 20 of 27 Posts