Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the 10 last night and happen upon the previous gen Prelude. For some reason we ended up racing (very...very stupid of me...may the gods of bomex have mercy on my soul)...I did pretty good keeping in front of him till 95mph. He then probably hit 4th gear and blasted by me like I was standing still. (He had GT wing...huge exhaust and I'm pretty much stock except a Ganz Flow CAI). I hit the drag limited...electronically governed speed of 118(?) [or just the fact our cars can't handle high speeds well]and the Prelude is jut gone.

Leason: Don't freeway race (its pretty stupid...I'll kick myself for the next several months) and if you do don't race those Preludes. My friend tells me afterwards that they don't accelerate that fast, but those things are almost made for freeway racing.

Ben
(the guy that will never freeway race ever again)

·
Registered
199 Posts
You have to becareful of those Hondas, some are actually
really fast on the street.

There is a shop near me... Erik's Racing. Anyhow, he built a
'parts getter' car from a beat up 96 civic dx. He dropped in
a bone stock GSR motor and a free huge T04 turbo kit from
(I can't remember the name...) and plug-in computer from
Hondata.

Well, at 8PSI, the car ran 12.40 at 116mph :eek: and
at Palmdale!

Gotta watch out for cars like that. Even my friend with a
500hp supra is afraid of civics with front mounts... pretty
funny actually.

Matt

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
any decent honda motor is going to cream an EJ25 on the top end.

a couple of points though. 1) the RS handles very well at high speed. 2) there is no governer in our cars. top speed is around 130 and is drag limited. 3) the EJ25 is a torque monster but has no top end. once you get higher the 3rd gear or 5000-5500rpms, the engine is pretty worthless. it certainly can't keep up with a honda's high reving capability. if you're going to street race, do it at a stop light where you actually have an advantage. hell, i OWN3D a viggen off the line until it got traction and boost :)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Well, I don't know about most civics. I just pulled up beside one today and I tried to nod my head to say "cool, a tuner". Well, it was a si with a big muffler. He was trying to show off or something, so he revved his engine up and down and jerked his car to try to get me to race. I don't know why... there was cars in front of each of our lanes and traffic was 5-10 mph. Did I just get the "What's up? I'm a racer too!" greeting? :burnout:

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
:lol: that reminds me of a night i was at a stoplight in the left lane of a 4 lane road behind a minivan. well a riceboy in an eclipse drives up in the right lane and starts reving at me and shit and he is lined up even with me even though there is no car in his lane. i can't believe he's trying to race me when i'm behind a minivan. but i know that his lane becomes a parking lane after the intersection so i egg him on and keep him distracted so he doesn't notice when the light goes green. the minivan goes and i go right behind it. then riceboy takes off but he doesn't have enough time to get around the minivan before he comes up on parked cars and of course i didn't let him in :)

·
Registered
my00 2.5 rs white
330 Posts
i absolutely hate hondas but my friend has a 5 gen prelude type sh and he's put some money into it and all i can say is that V-TEC is absolutely incredible... off the line i can take him but he burns me at the track and pretty much from a rolling start at anyt speed... v-tec is an incredible thing

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kickin_81: I think you got the "Hey I'm a jackass in a (Honda) with huge exhaust greeting". For some reason I get more of those from fixed up Civics than any other cars. Even those GSR guys are pretty nice (not the RS or GS guys with fake Type R stickers).

Well, I guess I'll just have to take on Preludes on mountain roads with lots of switchbacks(on dirt). Lets see how he does there.

10th Warrior: You are right, this car is not really good for those top-end races. Its alright, I bought the car because it looked cool and because I don't have to put on tire chains when I drive up those mountains for snowboarding.

I thought those type SH cars are slower and heavier than normal Preludes (5th gen?).

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Well, I guess I'll just have to take on Preludes on mountain roads with lots of switchbacks(on dirt). Lets see how he does there.
it won't stand a chance. although i did go to a snow solo once and the overall winner was a 5th gen Type SH. talk about embarassing :)

the SH is faster in a straight line then the regular 5th gen. its got way more top end power. however, i think the regular one will make the better ST car for auto-x because it has only 1 less peak lbft but it occurs about 2k rpm sooner and the curve in general is much more robust. i don't know about the weights though.

·
Registered
my00 2.5 rs white
330 Posts
asusimpreza said:
Its alright, I bought the car because it looked cool and because I don't have to put on tire chains when I drive up those mountains for snowboarding.

I thought those type SH cars are slower and heavier than normal Preludes (5th gen?).
thats exactly why i bought my car!

and the type sh is heavier cuz of the ATTS which makes it handle like a dream which is probably why the 5 gen sh won the snow solo.... they are definately not slower... i can take none sh V-TEC 5 gen preludes all the time.... the sh was a little harder to beat but as soon as he got intake headers exhaust and pulleys... man, he unleashed some serious power... v-tec is a beasutiful thing... i wish i could get it on my car... mabey i'll just drop a H 22 in my car lol

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Fuck the freeway racing!!!! Takem to the canyons and show them how a real car handles. Fast 0-60 times don't mean shit when you overly lowered handa handles like a mini-van.

sean

·
Registered
my00 2.5 rs white
330 Posts
i hate to say it but the SH's handling is comprable to any awd and yes i hate to admit it... you have no idea how much i hate to admit it.......... but the Sh handles as well as or even better than the rs...........

i'm sorry but I have to be honest..

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
Last night 3:00 am by a Celica GTS! with exhaust and God knows what else(those fucking things are QUICK!!!) stop at a light turns green 1st, 2nd, 3rd (all top end! I was about 3 car lenghts from him) no problem but once I hit 4th he shot past me like a bat out hell and could not catch up to him!! I must've hit 80mhp when he passed me...but Damn those fucking cars are quick!!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I got to drive SCC's project Celica, with just a intake and exaust it was way faster than a WRX. It just torque steers alfull and handled like shit, but it was fast on the straits.

sean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts