Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 2.5rs
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I know, not another my swap won't start/ wtf immobilizer thread.

05 STi -> 99RS

Wiring is done. I even printed the engine electrical section out and back checked the harness from every end back to the ecu/or elsewhere, Pin for pin, and scribbled it out on the print out when i was done, so nothing was overlooked.

With the ignition on I get the fuel pump to prime, I can work the DBW pedal and the throttle plate moves. I've also got power at the injectors and spark plugs, they are also grounded.

So basically It's an immobilizer issue. I get the light to blink like its supposed to with the key out, but as soon as I turn the key, I get a solid check engine light, and solid immobilizer light.

So the ECU is no turning on, and the immobilizer is functioning. VSS for the ECU gets the same ~5V signal as the speed sensor from the cluster.

THe key is in the antenna. THats all good.

From all that I have read on here I DO NOT need the body integrated unit or the security module, only matching key, immobilizer box, and ecu.

THe service manual says you need all of that stuff so.......

For those of you who have made this work with just the key, immobilizer and ecu, what did you do with the security unit wire?

12v? GND? ~5V? Is there some sort of hand shake signal here, like a toggle high to low on ignition or some thing stupid like that?

WTF GIVES????

HELP!!!!

Please.

·
Registered
05 legacy sdn, 00 rs sdn
840 Posts
would like to know this also, i'm currently working on merging a harness for some one 99rs to 06 sti... havent finished it yet, just started yesterday day.. its almost ready to install.. but i wont be able to do that for 2 weeks yet... hoping i dont have any imobilizer issues.........

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
Security wire is T'ed to the impact sensor. So if your car was broken into your car would not start until the alarm is disarmed. I have never wired this to anything. With 100% success rate so far! Make sure all the powers and grounds and switched powers are working to the immobilizer. The two wires that go to the antenna and the two wires that go to the ecu.

Also. Are all the immobilizer stuff out of the same car?

·
Registered
99 2.5rs
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also. Are all the immobilizer stuff out of the same car?
Yeah man, as far as I know. So literally all you do is hook it up as you stated and it functions fine?

Actually- I just noticed It seems like when I turn on the ignition the check engine light comes on and then the security light goes on like half a second later. So now I'm starting to wonder if it is my wiring, or the ECU itself, and not the immobilizer.

Off to check wires..... AGAIN.

BTW, Brydon thanks again for the Docs.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Not a problem! Any check engine lights?

The immobilizer will not give you a CEL but can be seen through a subaru select monitor. Also The immobilizer cuts spark and fuel. You can put a volt meter on the fuel injector wire and see if it falls when your crank the car. Should show you if it is really an immobilizer. The injectors should fall to ground but you will not be able to see that unless you have a scope. But a volt ohm meter reacts fast enough to see voltage movement.

·
Registered
99 2.5rs
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I mention the Check engine light is that it comes on Before the security (immobilizer) light. I get a solid CEL immediately and I was under the impression that this meant a dead ECU. I.e.-The immobilizer goes on with the ignition, tries to communicate with the ECU, gets no response, and locks up - Security light goes solid as described in the FSM.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The CEL light always comes on when you turn the key to the on position but the car is not running. If it doesn't come on then you have no power to your ecu or there is a major issue. I have no idea what the security light means. I have never hooked them up.

·
Registered
99 2.5rs
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The CEL light always comes on when you turn the key to the on position but the car is not running. If it doesn't come on then you have no power to your ecu or there is a major issue. I have no idea what the security light means. I have never hooked them up.
Oh ok, so I had that backwards with the CEL with the key in the ignition. Anyway got an 04 ECU and it fired right up. Idles great. Unfortunately It sounded Like an old diesel. and wants to die when i give it gas half the time. other times it revs fine. Scangauge will be here tomorrow. Compression is 150-150 drivers side 130-130 passenger :confused:. Timing belt is spot on. Valves should be good.

wow your problem sucks. it would be easy to get another car lol
What fun would that be?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
So you plugged the ecu in and it fired up? If so that's amazing since the two cars have different wiring.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Yeah that would be amazing. Switch wires->plug in->fire up.
Makes more sense :)

Find out your CELs cause it sounds like you have some issue.

·
Registered
99 2.5rs
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One CEL: P0462 Fuel level sensor circuit low input. Thats it. I knew that wasn't working- The empty light is on and its full, lol.
Couldn't get any others to pop up. The wanting to die when I give it gas seems to have gone away, maybe air in fuel lines? (I switched out the fuel tanks also for "superior baffling", and the extra sensor).
Now as far as the noise, The valve job that I had "professionally" done left all the exhaust valves clearance at .015-.017. They also had "clean up the heads cause the gasket scored one". Did they seriously only clean up one side and thats why the compression test turned out like it did?
Jeezus.
04 STi Engine says .0138+/-.002 so that should be "borderline".
05 Manual (It's an 05 motor) says .0138 +/- .0008 ? Which is definitely out of spec.

So basically at this point I'm thinking new buckets and I'm golden.

If anyone knows what the clearance is supposed to be please chime in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts