Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a good & decent stand-alone ECU for a fun/street car setup nowadays that's a good band-for-your-buck and won't break the bank either?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
mega/microsquirt will be the easiest on your wallet, a bit of assembly required though if i remember right, haven't looked in to them for a long while. wtf ever happened with that one project that was able to flash our NA ecu's?

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
577 Posts
Yeah - I have Delta 1500 cams in freshly reassembled heads and an extra ECU with a stage 2.1 Delicious Tuning refresh. I'd rather go with Project Lambda but they require you to purchase am OBD dongle and you need a Windows based laptop for them to remotely tune your car. I guess a custom tune would be better but it's more expensive and obviously you need the correct OS to achieve this...unfortunately I have a Mac and my WiFi is sketchy, at best, out in the driveway / garage area so I'm even sure how that would work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had good luck in the past on other cars using Romraider and the Tactrix OpenPort tuner stuff, but it seems the only 2.5RS supported is a 2005. I wonder if you can use a traditional flashing tool via USB (in the end, it seems like it presents a serial port to the laptop all the same) and have the ProjectLambda software pick it up. Romraider works on Linux (which means if it doesn't work straight on macOS, you can probably get it to). For Wifi, I don't think it'd use your home wifi to link to the PC. At least, it doesn't need to in principle - I have a wifi OBD2 reader for CEL clearing and such, and it just makes its own wireless network for my phone/laptop to connect to without having to piggyback it through an actual home wifi connection.

Definitely recommend against any sort of unreliable connection lol. I turned my Forester's ECU into a brick once by bumping the USB cable mid-flash. Bad time, but I got it fixed in the end with some custom circuit work 🤓

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
577 Posts
"For Wifi, I don't think it'd use your home wifi to link to the PC. At least, it doesn't need to in principle - I have a wifi OBD2 reader for CEL clearing and such, and it just makes its own wireless network for my phone/laptop to connect to without having to piggyback it through an actual home wifi connection"
I never even thought of that. I should contact them again and see if that's the case. I never really asked them for clarification on how they use the Wifi. My buddy said I could borrow his laptop. I'm not there yet but I think a custom tune would be a healthier option for the car, if possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not there yet but I think a custom tune would be a healthier option for the car, if possible.
Oh for sure, nothing beats some proper dyno time and a controlled test environment. I ended up doing tuning over email, of all things. Installed a Wideband O2 sensor with a gauge that let me do some data-logging, and just sent log after log to a guy in....Colorado I think?....who had me flash tune after tune until he saw logs that he liked. Probably about $300 all-in.

Whatever direction you take when the time comes, good luck with the process!

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,746 Posts
Shamelessly plugging my own work...

You can make a microsquirt work. A lot of guys love the Speedy EFI. My opinion is both of those options leave a lot to be desired, and for a street car an entry level ECU from one of the big guys is worth the money.

I'd look at a Link G4X Atom or a Haltech Elite 750. Elite 550 has been discontinued, but if you could find a used one or new old stock, that would be a good option too.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shamelessly plugging my own work...

You can make a microsquirt work. A lot of guys love the Speedy EFI. My opinion is both of those options leave a lot to be desired, and for a street car an entry level ECU from one of the big guys is worth the money.

I'd look at a Link G4X Atom or a Haltech Elite 750. Elite 550 has been discontinued, but if you could find a used one or new old stock, that would be a good option too.
So far it's looking like a Link Monsoon will be what I might end up leaning toward. Just curious what others out there are using nowadays...

·
Premium Member
98 RS | 98 L Wagon
1,746 Posts
So far it's looking like a Link Monsoon will be what I might end up leaning toward. Just curious what others out there are using nowadays...
Nice, you wont be disappointed with the Link.

There are so many good options out on the market currently. Just a matter of what you want to spend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts