Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What do you guys recommend ECU-wise for my RS that will not ever be turbo'd. My mods do/will include:

N1 3 pulley set (not ud)
cobb cai
exedy fw
borla headers
random tech cat
brullen cat back

Is the stock ECU more than enough? I am worried about lean conditions with the CAI. So far, I haven't been very impressed with the stock ECU's ability to adapt to new environments, i.e, when I drive from the valley up to Tahoe, my car runs like it's using the fuel/timing maps from the valley. Trying to reset my ECU evertime I change altitudes is a joke. With my above mods and a new ECU, should I also be looking into a better knock sensor? For both of these, price is a major consideration...

What do I need? Thanks for your help!

- Tokay

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Any aftermarket ECU will be fine. You just won't have to deal with setting up additional tables based on boost/EGT's etc...

So, possibly it'd be easier and more reliable to go with something like a tec-2 or link, or whatever your budget allows.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota RAV4 Sport(V6 4WD)
99 Posts
I thought the ProECM Chip could take care of altitude changes and all the like...Maybe I'm wrong but thats whats posted on I-Club

·
Registered
2001 Silverthorn Coupe
144 Posts
THe stock ECU will handle those mods in warm weather (70+). It will have a wavering idle though. I am waiting to see what happens when the weather gets cooler in my area to see if it can handle the more dense intake charge.

concider a lighter flywheel to save money instead of buying a light FW and lightened pullies. A Fidanza at 9.5 pounds alreasy has a warbleing idle speed, so going lighter will soon not idle to well at all. A 12-14 pound flywheel with 4 pounds less on the crank pulley might be to much, or will get the same result as the Fidanza for substantionally more money.

cheeRS,

Greg

·
Registered
35 Posts
What I think...

Get a Get your ecu flashed by the dealer, mine had a recall. Get a Pully set, MRT headers from vividracing.com, fireball exhaust from pdm-racing.com (like the Apex N1 but better), a muffler shop to illimanate your resonator pipe and weld up a good stainless steel setup, and proECM chip. In that order you will feel the change.

Luck to U

P.S. leave the stock flywheel get a better clutch like Clutchmaster or ACT. My pal has a 1999 RS-Turbo moded. Sayes he can feel the internals of his tranny give way little by little (weak stock tranny). He has an ACT clutch the only thing between a full trany rebuild is the stock heavy weight (25lbs) flywheel. It's strong but heavy. The weight slows some inertia going to the trany from the hi-HP engine. In this way saving the trany from being rebuilt.(he's low on cash ;) ) Also Lightened flywheels are harder to drive in traffic and mountian roads. But they do give you more HP and/or Torque :biggest: Throw the F.W. cash at some CAMS instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts