Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to these forums and well im 16, and just recently really got into Rally and Subarus, I want a Subaru WRX STI but thats not coming any time soon seeing as how I dont have 30 grand, so I am planning on buying a older car and fixing it up etc and basically I want a decent rally car, AWD, cheap, easily modded to be better, and well just overall good. I was looking at a Audi, and honda makes a AWD old wagon that my brothers wife has that is nice, and well i just recenlty looked into an older RS and building it up what do you guys think

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you're loyal to Subaru's, I'd go with a nice '96ish Impreza L. Throw on a 99 RS front bumper and a nice wing and it would look great. Now, I don't know how important performance is to you but their engines are obviously smaller and less powerful than the RS but it would be a good start and you could always mod it. Quite a few have gone this route and their cars are looking great.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
97 Impreza L. First year of many imprevements. It's AWD, has the 2.2, 100 pounds lighter than the RS, and can easily look like one. For a little extra $$, it can perform like one. I'd suggest finding the oldest, most rundown POS you can. You're 16, and will make a mistake. I'm not putting you down, I was 16, and inexperienced on the street once too. No sense in wrecking a good car. Also, you're friends will tear the crap out of it if you're not.

Look on autotrader.com. They've got a 97 for $2999 right now. It's got 170,000 miles, but hey, it runs. You gotta figure 170,000 miles in 5 years is ALL highway. Like, this dude lived on a highway, and drove 4 hours to and from work on this highway, and took roadtrips at any chance and...you get the idea. Those miles aren't going to hurt it.

And if it does hurt it, and the engine goes in a another 10,000 miles, you GET to replace it. Get to with a 2.5. Hell, you're only 16, you could whine to the parents when the engine blows, and have them pay for the upgrade...er...replacement. Not that I'd ever condone anything like this.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I agree with what has been suggested; but do not buy an Impreza with the 1.8 liter engine! Make sure you get the 2.2 at least! There is virtually no aftermarket support for the 1.8 and it's extremely underpowered for an AWD car! Well, I guess if you want to feel inferior to a Metro you could get one!:D Good luck!

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
there is green 98 rs for sale somewhere in this forum...it's going for 10 grand i think...go check it out...

·
Registered
92 Legacy Turbo
44 Posts
Isuzu made a 90-91 Impluse that was AWD and had 160 hp and was turboed. Those things tore it up with a few mods. The only problem was that they look exactly like the old Geo Storms, even thought their build quality was 10 times better. As long as I'm talking about Isuzu Impluses one of the neatest cars (IMHO) would be a 89 Impulse 140Hp but not so good as a rallier because it was RWD though I have seen one do very well in a rally. They still looked cool as all hell.

Hope this helps

Stu

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm surprised no one has yet suggested the Legacy turbo!! 160 hp, 8ish psi, whoopety do tranny, can stand 12+ psi no problem and BTW it is the ORIGINAL subaru factory rally car. Other good suggestions is the Mitsubish Galant VR-4, very rare but under 5K and shares most componets with the Eclipes. The Eclipse GSX is also a good choice, as is the ultra rare Mazda 323 GTX. Subaru also makes a sleu of other turbo AWD cars, do some research on Kelly Blue Book to see what engine and tranny they all came with and how much they are going for.

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
hey stubaru i've seen one of those at the rally fest..and at the scaa prorally rallies...i was thinking...damn that metro is kickin ass...i wonder how it's perfroming so well on the dirt.......so it's a isuzu.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts