Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading out to the local strip tonight (Norwalk, OH). This will be my first trip to the drag strip. I'm an avid auto-x'er, and my neighbor's a big drag racer. I talked him into an autox but I have to hit the drag strip first before he'll go cone bashing with me. He's got a 99 z28 camaro, and I have no intentions of even coming close to him. I will probably try his ride out once or twice though just for kicks.

Any advice for me. I would imagine launching is about the same right? Take it up to 4k and sorta half dump it? Any idea what I should be running?

The car is a 2001 2.5 RS 5spd. MT.
My mods are: Ganzflow CAI, Amsoil Filter, NGK plugs, Thermotec'd Borla headers, Borla catback, Cusco STB's, Whiteline Rear Sway Bar, and Kumho 712's. The forecast for this evening is around 50, and it's sea level.

Thanks, I'll post the results afterwards.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Cool! Wish Norwalk was local to me too...I'd go witcha! I wonder if Thompson is open?

I'd drop the tire pressures up front about 10-15 psi and start there. Go around the waterbox, creep up to the line and just relax, launch it like you do for autocross but as soon as you see the last yellow, go! Run it up to just before rev-limiter and shift as fast as you can. Don't even lift the gas to shift, just hold'er steady. You'll have time to watch the tach so you'll know when you're going to hit the limiter. If you feel the front tires break loose, drop the pressures some more next run.

Naturally, leave all your stuff from the trunk at home, and keep the gas tank less than 1/2 if possible. There's gas stations around Norwalk so you'll be alright. Good luck and let us know what you run...scan the slips. Don't act like a riceboy (he he) and have fun. Just remember that you have to race on Sunday, so don't BREAK anything!:biggest:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha Ha - lol! I know I hope don't break anything, can't miss Sunday. That's my biggest fear. Jay it's not exactly local to me either, it's probably about an hour drive. If you want to come and hang out and take my car for a few trips, you're more than welcome to it. We're leaving my place in Avon Lake at 4:30 pm.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try and put it to good use.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
My local strip opens tomorrow night, not tonight.

Norwalk is a bit too far for me to go. I hope all went well for you, Craig! When you put adjustable struts on, you can set them up to minimize the front lift and squatting ass end!

I'm dying to take Ed's car out and see what it'll do. I have to talk him into it first though.

See you Sunday!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not what I thought

Well, I made it to the strip and it wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be. Unfortunately I only got 2 runs in. Cars just kept braking down and spilling fluids, it was kind of a bummer. Launching went okay, but I probably would've been fine going a little less into the rpms. as the back wheels almost hopped it was so grippy.

I lost both races, each to camaros, go figure! :curse:

The first one I had a horrible reaction time and the second time everything went pretty good. As you can see the guy next to me was faster (an IROC) but he red lighted and launched too soon.

Anyway here are my timeslips.

Best time 15.681
With a few more runs I may have been able to get a low 15.6 maybe even high 15.5, but I kind of doubt it.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I got the go-ahead to take the moster out tonight! We'll se what the pre-production DOHC will put down. he he he...even if it rains, I'm gonna ask the track officials if I can still make a run! I hope not to lose to a Camaro....My Mopar roots would probably make me vomit on the spot!

I just hope I can get the glaze off the flywheel that Ed applied on his last run Sunday!:biggest: That clutch still stunk after the hour drive home!:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts