Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! The rear left wheel on my 1998 2.5 RS wobbles side to side. This is an issue when braking and driving on gravel/dirt roads as the car swerves side to side and shakes violently. I’ve found the issue, an old rubber bushing that’s let go (pictured below)

I’ve got one on a parts car that is old too, but seems to be in much better shape and is holding really well. However, it is extremely stuck. I’ll put my entire weight on a meter long breaker bar and the bolt won’t move at all.

So here are my dumb questions:

Am I missing something in the removal of this part?

What’s the proper name for the part? (for research purposes)

Do I just need to fatten up and work out more to remove this one?

(Pictured below, my breaker bar on the parts car)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: Broke the bolt off on the parts car :(
I still have the other side, but there’s no way I’m getting it out on this side now.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Congrats on breaking the most pain in the ass bolt to get off on an entire GC! At least they're fairly inexpensive to order. Those rear lateral links are the bane of my existence

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,353 Posts
On a slightly less rusty model, you can usually get the nut on the other end to come off. Then a slide hammer to pull the long bolt out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to remove the nut from the other side as well. I’ve never even heard of a slide hammer, but it looks like a useful tool after a quick Google search.

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
67 Posts
I was able to remove the nut from the other side as well. I’ve never even heard of a slide hammer, but it looks like a useful tool after a quick Google search.
Quite frankly, at this point, I would saw-zall the bolt off between the knuckle and the lateral links. Then press in new bushings into the lateral link and attach with a new bolt.

I'm not sure how a slide hammer will be entirely useful here, both from a space standpoint (they're very long and require a bit of working room) as well as attaching (welding a nut to the bolt and threading it in? Again, not entirely sure).

My preferred method of removing these bolts is "heat and beat". The bolt, as you just saw, seizes in the sleeve of the rubber bushings and not the knuckle itself. As a result, as you are trying to rotate the bolt out, you are really just rotating the bushing with it--not super useful. A combination of an Air Hammer on the surfaces of the arm, an impact wrench (both tightening and loosening), penetrating oil, and some light heat (I stress light, as you do not want to destroy the bushing) and it will come out.

This video details a pretty accurate representation of the process for removing these bolts.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,353 Posts
To use the slide hammer successfully, you have to be able to pry the long bolt enough to get purchase on the head. So by that point, the whole bolt has been soaked for 24 hours. When I put the bolt back (or it's replacement if need be), I coat it in antisieze or axle grease. The dirt that collects acts like a protective shield, ha ha. And that's on a west coast car. I couldn't imagine it on a car that's really rusty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for all the info and the helpful video! I’ll look into getting the tools I need and starting on this painful looking chore. If all else fails I’ll just pay the local mechanic to suffer through it.

·
Registered
04 WRX Wagon w/2.1 stroker, 02 WRX Wagon w/ V7 ej207, and 01 2.5 GF Wagon
16 Posts
Look for some clean lateral links from a 2005 to 2007 Impreza WRX Wagon. They're the same length as the links on your car and though I haven't checked part numbers they seem to have better bushings.
Have you checked the bushings in your trailing arms? I bet those are toast as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look for some clean lateral links from a 2005 to 2007 Impreza WRX Wagon. They're the same length as the links on your car and though I haven't checked part numbers they seem to have better bushings.
Have you checked the bushings in your trailing arms? I bet those are toast as well.
I haven’t checked those bushings. But thanks for the tips!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts