Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2000 WRX STI Type-RA Limited
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got bored today and decided to take my glove box out. I always thought that I weighed more than I should so I cracked it open to find a chunk of metal. I took it out and the glove box still works fine, it's just not nearly as heavy. I searched for a diy on this and didn't find one so here it is. Some people tend to think that is is there for passenger safety and advised against its removal but it mounts to plastic anyway and I highly doubt it adds any safety. One member suggested it is there so a thief can't punch through it and this makes a whole lot more sense to me.
By the way if you do manage to mess something up I assume no responsibility.

All you will need is a short Phillips head screwdriver and about 10 minutes. I took my whole glove box out but that is unnecessary for this mod.

Open your glove box and remove the seven visible screws.

These here.

And the screws on both corners.
Here

And here

Carefully separate the outside of the glove box from the inside.

Located the metal plate and pull it out.

Here is the plate it weighs about 3 1/2 pounds.

Push the glove box back together and put the 7 screws back in and your done!

Like I said it should take no more than 10 minutes and removes about 3 1/2 pounds and best of all it's free!:banana:

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Good write-up :p Ya, I think it's designed to make break-in harder for thieves... Not like they can't just rip the whole thing out of there anyway... Good idea though. I found that thing when I switched my glovebox locks around. I'll probably end up doing this soon because I don't store anything valuable in the glovebox. As a matter of fact, that's the last place I'd put something valuable.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
It is not meant to make break in harder for thieves.
If the thief already got in your car what makes you think he wont get into your plastic backed glovebox....

It is a counterweight for the glovebox door so when you pull the latch the glovebox opens on its own.
Without the weight you have to pull it a bit to get it open - I did when I removed this on my car.

Easy 4lbs off the car though!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not meant to make break in harder for thieves.
If the thief already got in your car what makes you think he wont get into your plastic backed glovebox....

It is a counterweight for the glovebox door so when you pull the latch the glovebox opens on its own.
Without the weight you have to pull it a bit to get it open - I did when I removed this on my car.

Easy 4lbs off the car though!
If a thief really wanted to get in the glove box I'm sure that it wouldn't stop him. My glove box isn't hard to open, it just opens slow now.

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
That piece is there to protect occupants in an extreme collision. It forces the passengers knees under the dash instead of into it, limiting the amount of personal injury. The steering column has a similar piece in it.

Personally, I don't find a pound or two to be worth the risk, but to each his own.

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,033 Posts
That piece is there to protect occupants in an extreme collision. It forces the passengers knees under the dash instead of into it, limiting the amount of personal injury. The steering column has a similar piece in it.

Personally, I don't find a pound or two to be worth the risk, but to each his own.
Hm... interesting notion. Thanks for the insight. I wonder if it is still worth the reduction? Food for thought.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks man, that actually makes sense. You'd be screwed anyway if you managed to crash that hard.

·
EEEEP!!!!
Something Slow
2,000 Posts

We have a winnar!

·
EEEEP!!!!
Something Slow
2,000 Posts
Its interweb joke spelling.

btw the word is interweb is also a joke

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
So you guys are saying impacting the steel in the glovebox lid is safer than crashing into plastic....
I'm gonna run out & make a metal dash to protect myself in the event of a collision - come on......

In an extreme collision the plastic glovebox I could pry off a car without removing 1 screw (all mounting points are plastic) will be in the occupant's mouth - steel plate & all.

Wear your seatbelt & all will be fine.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
^^ you mean the one that protects the ECU ;)
It weighs next to nothing

oh and t3hWIT I keep trying to picture what you said that piece does but I just dont get it...

·
Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
689 Posts
If your goin crazy about 3.5 lbs your car probably doesnt need a glovebox at all. Otherwise, good writeup.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts