Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have a 99/00 gf8 wrx. And the suspension on it is pretty much dead. I've tried reading about all of this but I've honestly just ended up more confused. Suspension is definitely an area in which I have very little knowledge.

I'd basically like to find out what would be an upgrade to the stock suspension it came with. I can't really afford too much at all. So I'm not really expecting any extreme improvements. Don't want it to be lowered or anything. Just a slight but good upgrade. Any suggestions on coil overs? struts? springs?

My absolute budget right now is about $1200 USD tops. But I would like to spend less than that. Again I'm really not expecting anything more than a slight upgrade to the stock, nothing fancy.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
395 Posts
KYB GR struts are OEM equivalent but approximately 20% stiffer than OEM and affordable. KYB AGX are a step up with dampening adjustability - still won't break the bank. Maybe search eBay or google JDM parts importers and look for a set of compatible JDM springs? When you prepare for suspension replacement - check your strut mounts for wear and replace accordingly. If the mounts are beat, dry-rotted, etc, even KYB replacement mounts are better than thrashed existing mounts and these generally aren't terribly expensive. I have no idea about the specifics of the GF8 WRX but perhaps the springs that are already on the car can just be re-used w/ new shocks and mounts. In my experience w/ Subaru the springs are rarely degraded so much that they can't be reused. You could always replace springs at a later date if your budget doesn't allow for it now.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I did KYB GR2 with TEIN S-Tech springs. People say the back sags but I didnt think so.

Cheap and easy and good performing. Three of my requirements.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,124 Posts
KYB GR2 and King Springs is what I did on my old GF wagon. Nice handling combo. I also grabbed the factory sway bars from a 97ish vintage BK outback wagon and used those. The front NA sway bars won't work on a turbo car tho.

Reactions: grongle
1 - 4 of 4 Posts