Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza GF8 Wagon
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, long story short I'm in the process of rebuilding my suspension in the ol' GF8.
Basically, I'm gonna be running a bit of negative camber in the rear. While I was working out adjustments, I found the stock axle obviously isn't going to like extending that far out. So; my question is, does anybody know of longer axles that I can swap in to compensate, such as wrx axles or something along the line of that? Or, does anyone have knowledge about building custom axles, if that's even a possibility? I've tried doing research about this topic but the best I could find are axle spacers, which I didn't even know existed and I'm a bit iffy on to say the least.
Thank you!

·
Registered
'96 OBS
239 Posts
I see two possibilities.
1) Get custom axles made. Often called "hybrid" axles. This is something that's done, usually for using an R180 diff with hubs that are made to fit the R160 axles. But it's not cheap.
2) The other possibility is to figure out what you need and then start tracking down some info. You need to figure out:
- Inner (diff side) spline count
- outer (hub side) spline count
- how much total length you need

Some quick searching ( Rear diff & axels FAQ - NASIOC ) is telling me 22 splines on the diff side (for an open R160) and 24 splines on the hub side, but you'll want to confirm that. ;) As for what length you need, that's up to you. Since the R160 diffs are a fixed size, the rear track width of the vehicle in question might be a good starting point to look for leads. (Obviously there's factors here like the hub and the wheel offset itself.) From there, you'll need to find measurements or get an axle in your hands to measure.

If you're thinking of going 6speed/R180/5x114.3 hubs, then 05+ STI axles are supposed to be a bit longer [citation needed].

And yes, "axle spacers" sound skeery as hell to me. :D

I'm interested in your results, since I am somewhat curious about widening overall track width. :)

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza GF8 Wagon
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see two possibilities.
1) Get custom axles made. Often called "hybrid" axles. This is something that's done, usually for using an R180 diff with hubs that are made to fit the R160 axles. But it's not cheap.
2) The other possibility is to figure out what you need and then start tracking down some info. You need to figure out:
- Inner (diff side) spline count
- outer (hub side) spline count
- how much total length you need

Some quick searching ( Rear diff & axels FAQ - NASIOC ) is telling me 22 splines on the diff side (for an open R160) and 24 splines on the hub side, but you'll want to confirm that. ;) As for what length you need, that's up to you. Since the R160 diffs are a fixed size, the rear track width of the vehicle in question might be a good starting point to look for leads. (Obviously there's factors here like the hub and the wheel offset itself.) From there, you'll need to find measurements or get an axle in your hands to measure.

If you're thinking of going 6speed/R180/5x114.3 hubs, then 05+ STI axles are supposed to be a bit longer [citation needed].

And yes, "axle spacers" sound skeery as hell to me. :D

I'm interested in your results, since I am somewhat curious about widening overall track width. :)
Thank you! I'll definitely look into the 05+ Axles, seems to be the best for what I'm going for. I'll do a bit more research, and if I decide to pull the trigger on some new axles, I'll keep this thread updated :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts