Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my L wagon (99') that I got back in June, is showing the obvious signs that the front brakes need replacing. The calipers, are quite rusted, and stopping performance isn't too great, but isn't unsafe (as of yet).

The calipers are probably going to need to be replaced due to the rust (the bleeders look toasted,etc) so before I go ahead and get regular L poopy calipers. I wanted to know what you guys did with your wagons.

Would WRX brakes up front and drum brakes in the rear be doable? I'm assuming I'd need a bigger master cylinder to compensate.

I've also thought about just getting some performance pads and new rotors and stainless lines all around too. Of course the brake system will be bled and replaced with ATE most likely.

Just want to know what my brake options are and what others have done. I don't know yet what kind of stopping "performance" this car has with new brakes all around (the drums were replaced according to the prev. owner).
This car is a daily driver--so I'm on a budget-- but I want it to stop on a dime because it doesn't have ABS. :puppy_dog

edit: on a side note, I scored a EJ25 w/ lower miles that will be swapped in probably in the winter. Yippee!

·
Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
3,671 Posts
I have the rear disc brake conversion on my porch waiting to go in as soon as I stop being lazy. I am also planning on purchasing some FXT calipers and rotors to replace the stock OBS front brakes. You can also do RS brakes up front. They are bigger than our OBS brakes.

·
Registered
91 Legacy 257 w/6MT
868 Posts
i upgraded to WRX fronts first and with the stock master cylinder and the brake bias was way off. so i then added matching rear discs. this setup was awesome. i then scored a great deal on 4pot fronts and i added stainless steel lines all round at the same time. i have friends that don't like how fast i can stop, hehe.

i also have abs currently off because, imo, it kicks in WAY too early and i can threshold brake better.

·
Registered
93 IMPREZA L
430 Posts
i have usdm wrx brakes all around my 93L and it orginally came with drums in the back but i never had to change my master cylinder so you are fine using the stock one.

·
L On Roids.
98L 2.2
1,371 Posts
I have 4/2pot set up right now on my car and just recently did the 4pots over the weekend. The front 4pots from WRX are well worth the money. I'd def do that set up, but I will probably be lookin for rear 4pots soon too.

I have a set of Rotora Rotors brand new if your lookin to get new rotors. I'll give ya a deal on em since I have no use for them. Just pm me if anything.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,916 Posts
Go to a junkyard and find a newer legacy 96+. Find one that has 2 pot calipers and get the rear disk because every legacy has rear disk. You also get a bearing upgrade too because legacys got the tapered bearing where imprezas got ball bearings.

There are three styles of front calipers. The oldest D563, newer D741 and newest D929. Get the right pad for your calipers. The rears will be the same deal. Only there are two styles of pads. The D471 or D770.

Here is a good list.
http://www.buybrakes.com/ebc/pad-apps-Subaru.html

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. Thanks for your input guys.

I would much love to do a full WRX brake setup on the wagon, but I'm on a budget.

I'll probably try doing Legacy instead, or RS. Hard part is finding one.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
What I've always thought was a good idea is get the NEW LGT brake setup. Big rotors, big caliper. You can get fronts/rears NEW for abouts $1400 total; rotors, calipers, brackets, pads.

I have the STi BREMBOS running the STOCK 15/16" Impreza L master cylinder. I have this issue with when driving at a performance level the brake pedal is deep. In NORMAL drivin the pedal is FINE. It MAY be the MASTER CYLINDER, if not then AIR in the master cylinder. BUT I want to upgrade anyways; FWD SVX MS.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely a master cylinder issue... STi Brembo's? Those are beefy! I'd imagine the tiny m/c on the L is definitely not coping with the pressure.

·
Registered
1999 OBS
437 Posts
i too have done the rear disc brake swap on my 99 OBS. quite a difference in braking power. i have also done the WRX front swap. only issue i had was ordering the wrong pads. my fronts used the later D929's. i had ordered D721's which were for early early year bug eyes. let me know if you'd like a newer set of calipers for the front. i have a spare set with with brackets taken from my OBS. i'm willing to let go of them at a decent price.

·
I <3 JDM
GC8 + GF + GG
5,166 Posts
I had my 04 WRX fronts for a week before i did rear disc conversion. it definitely stop better while you are driving on high speed and stop on the spot when you really hit the pedal.

beware of mushy pedal tho. stock L brakes feel like i'm stepping on a brick but ever since i upgrade my brakes, i never got the same feeling back. I replaced the lines with Goodrigde SS lines and still no good.

SVX master cylinder will probably bring that feeling back but i haven't done it yet.

*PS. i bleed my brakes so many times and it's still no good*

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
I had wrx fronts and drum rears and my pedal felt good. Now I have 4pots and rear discs and pedal still feels good. The wrx fronts actually felt better then the 4 pots but I have shitty pads in the 4pot and had axxis pads in the wrx's. I have a set of wrx fronts for sale, if you're interested send me a pm.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, don't have any money right now after buying a hood, and next week I'm getting a set of used WRX wheels (so I can actually fit bigger brakes, nyuk nyuk).

I'm surprised you can upgrade to WRX brakes all-around and not have to upgrade the m/c. Eastfreestyler's problem sounds like a m/c issue IMO. Er, stepping on a brick doesn't sound good.. you want to have good modulation. Last time my 240 exhibited symptoms like that (brake pedal really hard), I found out it was because one my my rear calipers was seized. I run Z32 (300zx) 4 pots on the front and the stock one-pots in the rear w/o a master cylinder upgrade. Only when people go full-z32 all around do they upgrade the m/c.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
beware of mushy pedal tho. stock L brakes feel like i'm stepping on a brick but ever since i upgrade my brakes, i never got the same feeling back. I replaced the lines with Goodrigde SS lines and still no good.

SVX master cylinder will probably bring that feeling back but i haven't done it yet.

*PS. i bleed my brakes so many times and it's still no good*
that's the problem I'm having. They felt great! Nice FIRM pedal when stock. The S2000 feels just like that and that what I perfer for performance driving.

My Brembos with SS lines improved a little bit, but didn't take away the deep pedal feel when driving at performance levels. It ALSO is biased to the driver front. ...... I bled the calipers and it's a TINY BIT better, but not by much. I'm starting to think it may be low pad life???

I'm also starting to think that the spring in the MS isn't pulling BACK out as strong. High vacumm may be pushing the MS in..... just a guess.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^
If at 'performance levels' you mean you're doing a lot of hard braking, I'd postulate that you're experiencing brake fade. Does it gradually get worse? IMHO (don't know much about Subaru's brake systems)...RS stock brakes on a L would probably be fine with the stock m/c. But I would be inclined to upgrade the m/c for a WRX one if I were going to go with WRX brakes and/or 4-pots. The WRX/STi m/c's have to be much bigger than the measely L's...

·
Registered
99 sportwagon
58 Posts
wrx front and drum rears are awesome!! but you have to go 16" wheels. it came to mind before my fronts was about to go and i know the calipers doesnt release anymore..
lucky i bought all the parts because i end up braking the bracket bolts as they were all seized. scored for 200 bucks new rotors pads and reman calipers with bracket, still stock lines. there great no pull or anything.. go for this set up.. do the rears later.. as 75% of most cars uses front anyways

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
Hey, you mentioned you're considering RS fronts and rears-- I have a full set of '01 RS brakes just sitting in my garage from my 4/2 pot swap. The fronts even have brand new rotors. PM me if you're interested at all, and sorry to hijack. Good luck with your wagon!

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
^
If at 'performance levels' you mean you're doing a lot of hard braking, I'd postulate that you're experiencing brake fade. Does it gradually get worse? IMHO (don't know much about Subaru's brake systems)...RS stock brakes on a L would probably be fine with the stock m/c. But I would be inclined to upgrade the m/c for a WRX one if I were going to go with WRX brakes and/or 4-pots. The WRX/STi m/c's have to be much bigger than the measely L's...
It's not fade. Anytime you ride HIGH rpms without boosting and you get on the brakes it bites deep as if you still have air. Regular driving they bite closer up top. when driving at the road course I would have to PUMP once to get a FIRM pedal to keep it from biting deep. And like said, it seems to be BIASED to the front driver, so it tends to LOCK UP the driver front; even after corner balancing. Pad life is about HALF. They are BLUE pads, Endless?

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have the STi BREMBOS running the STOCK 15/16" Impreza L master cylinder. I have this issue with when driving at a performance level the brake pedal is deep. In NORMAL drivin the pedal is FINE. It MAY be the MASTER CYLINDER, if not then AIR in the master cylinder. BUT I want to upgrade anyways; FWD SVX MS.
Dude, you have STi Brembos (rear too?) and you're running the tiny ass L's m/c? Like I said on page 1, the problem is your m/c.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the offer Stoke, but I think I'll save on shipping and go junkyard shopping (one of these days).

Question: Does anyone know if the two piston RS/Legacy Outback brakes will fit behind a 15" steel wheel? I've decided I'm going to get new-remanned calipers but might as well upgrade to two pots. I know the rotor isn't much bigger than the L's, 10" vs 10.86".

1 - 20 of 49 Posts