Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm following this guide here, is the price they got all this for realistic? been looking for a few hours. seems like I won't even get away with the xmem for under $300. Is the move to just keep an eye on all the local facebook groups and try to wait for a part out? I've been googling around and haven't had much luck with anything that seems to resemble a deal based on the prices listed here. Ebay just has terrible results. Any other suggestions on where to go looking?

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why STI? seems like alot more work then just do a WRX cross member
I wanted to be able to just buy everything on this list and make sure I was ready to roll for when spring came, no waiting for this, or overpaying for that etc. Its my understanding the STI is different from the WRX for xmem/steering rack/power steering pump etc. Honestly at this point I'll probably just stick w/ the WRX stuff just to get to drive the car this year.

· Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
257 Posts
I wanted to be able to just buy everything on this list and make sure I was ready to roll for when spring came, no waiting for this, or overpaying for that etc. Its my understanding the STI is different from the WRX for xmem/steering rack/power steering pump etc. Honestly at this point I'll probably just stick w/ the WRX stuff just to get to drive the car this year.
Do you want WRX or STI steering? They are quite different in steering ratios, with the STI being quicker. I recommend setting a specific goal that suits what you want to gain out of your project. You'll pay twice as much in time and cost in the long run by sacrificing your end goal because something else is available at the time, and then changing later.

I recommend buying a second car (Copart, local sale, etc.) and swapping everything over into your car. Purchasing off a list like this will add up very quickly and there are some assumptions that were made. Everyone's situation will be unique.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you want WRX or STI steering? They are quite different in steering ratios, with the STI being quicker. I recommend setting a specific goal that suits what you want to gain out of your project. You'll pay twice as much in time and cost in the long run by sacrificing your end goal because something else is available at the time, and then changing later.

I recommend buying a second car (Copart, local sale, etc.) and swapping everything over into your car. Purchasing off a list like this will add up very quickly and there are some assumptions that were made. Everyone's situation will be unique.

I have an 02 and 04 wrx, I think you're right and the move is to just stick with a full wrx and work with what I've got. Also seems these sti pieces are significantly more expensive, and I'd rather have as little financially into it as I can for the time being. Replacing what's broken with other wrx parts would be a lot easier as well. Thanks dude, I'm just over complicating things I think

· Registered
2000 RS Coupe
258 Posts
I went off that list initially but ended up spending quite a bit more. The condition of the engine you receive will determine a lot of the cost if it needs rebuilt vs refreshed. Plan on replacing anything that is rubber or seals something.

· Registered
MY98/MY05 Swapped Unicorn
53 Posts
I had to go STi steering column for STi rack/x member
You will have to slot the STi spindles(one strut mount hole at machine shop too for proper ride height)
I’m going to look up this LE fabrication place…..lots has happened since 2007
GL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts