Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SUBARU IMPREZA RSTI EJ20K
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my car and obviously the person before me smoked.

The headliner i painted black so I know that doesnt smell anymore. Im guessing its the seats? or the carpet? is there any way to get the smell out?

·
Registered
2008 AW STi
5,361 Posts
First thing you should do is steam clean the carpet, floor mats, seats, seat belts and trunk. Sometimes that doesnt take it out completely but it will make a noticable difference. Just make sure you do a thorough job. After that just used some airfreshner. The smell will eventually go away. Some detail shops offer putting an Ozone machine in the car. That usually eliminates the odor completely.

·
Registered
2008 AW STi
5,361 Posts
Just thought of this. The smell may be coming from the vents. We ususally use a vapor steamer to blow steam into the vents... basically gets the cigarette film off the walls in the vents... then we blow them out with an air gun... if you dont have access to an air gun just run your AC on high for a couple of minutes. I think there is a product out there that cleans out your AC system from within. I cant remember where i read this or what the product was called.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah, Autozone or pepboys usually carry the stuff to clean it out.

My car was also a smokers (so am I, but NOT in my cars or houses, thats freakin nasty ass dirty skanky shit)

I have a plastic headliner or whatever that material is, vinyl or something. And its all scratched up as well. I basically took a bunch of windex to my headliner/dash/any plastic trim pieces. I kept scrubbing and scrubbing. You can see the yellow film come off. I also used my moms carpet cleaner for my car. I have used it numerous times and have learned to get my cars to look exactly like new. So I did that with oxiclean and it took a LOT of smell out. I also took off my door panels, and scrubbed all the dirt out of there and made it look all shiny. I than painted sound deadening all over my door panel on the inside. Between all that, my car smells sooo much newer. I drive a 93 and it doesnt smell anymore.

Good luck! It feels so nice when you get rid of that smell. I have 2 kids, so I never smoke in my cars, plus it stinks even for a smoker, and you get burns

·
un-Banned by RS25.com
2000 SRP 2.5RS Coupe
2,164 Posts
Febreeze works great. Use like half a bottle and let the car sit overnight with the windows open for it to evaporate. Then clean all the plastic/glass pieces to get that smoke slime off.

Your car will be clean and smell nice and fresh.

This is probably the easiest method.

·
Registered
1999 SUBARU IMPREZA RSTI EJ20K
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the tips ill be sure to try a bunch of those when i get my car back from GT engine swap :)

anyways the headliner turned out really good Ill take a picture when I get my car back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts