Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i am getting my clutch replaced and flywheel resurfaced. just a few quick questions:

1) will replacing the clutch get rid of the "shudder" that happens on cold days or at random times? sometimes when i roll off, i need to rev to higher RPM's to avoid the shudder. will replacing the clutch get rid of the shudder overall?

2) because i will have the transmission out, do you recommend replacing anything else? i am looking through my "Genuine Subaru Performance Parts" catalog and see that there is an STi Stainless Mesh Clutch Hose. what do you guys think about this?? does it make a big difference? does a different company offer a better clutch hose than STi?

this is what im talking about:

also, i hear that many people have problems with their shifter forks. while i have the tranny out, do you think i should get mine replaced?

thanks a lot for your help guys, this really is a great community!!

----Arthur

· Registered
former 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS owner
4 Posts
Definitely pick up a snout repair kit, it's the only way to fix the "shudder" issue. I got mine from here when I put a new clutch in:
http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/produ....html?osCsid=f12c9c2f39602dc0a96457da90ff79d4
The kit comes with a new throwout bearing collar to cover up your old one that will have a groove in it, which causes the "shuddering."

Also, how many miles are on the car? If you are nearing or over 100,000 I would recommend getting a new slave and master cylinder installed. When I did my clutch I put in an Exedy Stage 1 Organic with an ACT lightweight flywheel. The higher pedal loads from the Stage 1 clutch I think are what caused my slave and master cylinders to go bad.

Also, the last thing I did when upgrading the clutch was install a Kartboy short shifter kit with the front and rear bushings, it was so easy to install with the transmission and exhaust removed from under the car.

· RWD
01 Lexus IS300 Black Onyx
512 Posts
get a reman. flywheel, don't resurface your old one. the cost is about the same. might want to upgrade the rear pitch mount(sti), trans mount(cusco), all shifter bushings(kartboy)

· Registered
former 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS owner
4 Posts
Yeah new tranny mount is also a good idea if you really want to tighten up your shifting. I forgot I also put a group N sti tranny mount in when I did my clutch job.

impreza.driver also makes a good point. I had a lift to work on and it was really easy to just drop the tranny out of the bottom. If you don't have a lift though pulling the motor forward is definitely the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.