Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
98 Coupe Race Car
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After building my first subaru and doing way to much to other subaru's and having an absolutely rust free 98 coupe shell already up on a rotisserie, I've decided that I need to take the next step, which is to go all out on one of these bad chickens and see what I can do. My buddy and I will be building this car 100% by ourselves. This will follow the day by day progress of this car, and hopefully follow it all the way to completion!

Link to my first build thread: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t221991-breadandbutters-subaru-adventures.html

The plans are as follows, with most items being up in the air as to what to get. However we have a vague idea of how we will be spending the money. Purchase a V7 STi engine/V7 STi drive line and all the tools required to build a roll cage and take it from there! I also want a fuel cell, so thats probably going to happen as well.. Without further ado, day 1!

The shell thats being built up

Spent most of the evening with the rear diff and stripping the entire wiring harness out headlights to tail lights.

Had a laugh at this today...

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Coupe Race Car
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day 2 was spent slightly less productively, stripped the last remaining bits out of the black car I'll need, and then fought with the rotisserie for a good 3 hours... Finally ended up getting the green car on jack stands and the black shell will go off to her new home this weekend!

Todays bonus pic: This is in for a timing belt job and some other stuff. Flat 12, this beauty is absolutely insane! Guess what car its out of

·
Registered
98 Coupe Race Car
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the black car on the rotisserie and the green car on jack stands tonight, started stripping the sound deadening and doing some prep for painting the interior soon... Going to pick up some dry ice and goo gone, hopefully tomorrow, and really get the interior clean!

Todays bonus pics:
Possibly the meanest sounding car I've ever heard... Sounds like a bull whip every time you rev it, the ultra cool Jaguar Project 7

Bonus bonus pic:
Just a boring GT40

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
643 Posts
Todays bonus pic: This is in for a timing belt job and some other stuff. Flat 12, this beauty is absolutely insane! Guess what car its out of
Very cool setup and cars around!

Guessing Ferrari or Porsche? Apparently Subaru had someone design them a flat 12 for racing, but it didn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
98 Coupe Race Car
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Is this Tristan?
Yessir you found me!

Very cool setup and cars around!

Guessing Ferrari or Porsche? Apparently Subaru had someone design them a flat 12 for racing, but it didn't go anywhere.

It is out of a Ferrari! Did subaru develop their flat 12 as a first foray into F1?

Anyway, didnt get around to posting last night, way to many late nights past 2 weeks. Anyway finally most of the sound deadening out, just have to strip the rest of the smaller pieces out and goo gone the left over adhesives... Then I can start prepping for paint! Does anyone know if the v7 sti's axles are male on both ends or female/male like the 02 wrxs, I want to use 5x100 DSS axles for the rear.

Testing the goo gone, works pretty well!

·
Registered
98 Coupe Race Car
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Progress is slow with this sound deadening... After this I get to look forward to sanding, yay. :( Cant wait to see the interior white though!

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
643 Posts

·
Registered
98 Coupe Race Car
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They thought it was worth a try in 1988-1990 for F1, didn't work out so well. But to be honest, Subaru didn't actually design it, they had an Italian company do it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_1235

Coloni Subaru, Subaru's failed attempt at F1

Steve's Eta Tauri Site - Subaru in F1
Italian now we know why it didnt work...

95% done the front of the car and almost ready for sanding/seam welding! Finishing up the rest of the rear tomorrow. Have to start stripping the stuff off the underside of the car and get that ready for paint and bed liner.

Hmm looks good thus far...alot of work ahead of you but im sure its gonna come out great!
Yea its ambitious thats for sure... Especially because I want to have the cage and all the body work done by July 5th for WBM!

·
Registered
98 Coupe Race Car
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I promise these will get interesting somewhat soon... Been busy past few days prepping still, however just need to vacuum, put the green shell up on the rotisserie again for seam welding, sand, and I can throw the first layer of single stage on!

Put the JDM tails in for a little post cleaning motivation, cant wait till this shell is built and I can start with the engine and mechanical stuff..

·
Registered
2000 GC8 WRX STi
74 Posts
Italian now we know why it didnt work...

95% done the front of the car and almost ready for sanding/seam welding! Finishing up the rest of the rear tomorrow. Have to start stripping the stuff off the underside of the car and get that ready for paint and bed liner.

Yea its ambitious thats for sure... Especially because I want to have the cage and all the body work done by July 5th for WBM!

dan by July 5th thats a pretty stiff time frame....but im sure you can do it. If you have the time and all of the parts it should be a breeze...

CUSCO has a really nice cage for these...

·
Registered
98 Coupe Race Car
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dan by July 5th thats a pretty stiff time frame....but im sure you can do it. If you have the time and all of the parts it should be a breeze...

CUSCO has a really nice cage for these...
My friend and I will be fabricating the cage ourselves, and tigging it all together! Yea its going to be a long couple months. If all goes well we should be able to pull it off though!

Update: Got the black shell off to its new home and took a day off. Got the green car back up on the rotisserie and cut the spare wheel well out, battery tray, and some other unnecessary stuff. Also started stripping the underside for its new rust proofing!

Bye bye spare tire

Battery tray delete

Stripping the underside

Bonus pic: got a 1969 Maserati Ghibli Spyder that hadnt been on wheels in 20 years on the ground and rolling today

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
Definitely gonna follow this one. I have a rust free shell that I'm wondering just how far I should go with.

·
Registered
98 Coupe Race Car
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will the cage be FIA compliant for hillclimb?
Yea, we are stealing one of Joey Kales' designs and adding an X through the firewall from the pass side main hoop to drivers side strut tower and vice versa. I trust Garrets welding to pass, Do you know if dry carbon doors are frowned upon? I know you cant have carbon roofs.

Definitely gonna follow this one. I have a rust free shell that I'm wondering just how far I should go with.
If you have a rotisserie, strip the underside, seal it, clear it, and put raptor liner down over it. Rust will be a thing of the past!

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
I'd have to check the FIA hand book for specific details but you can't have composite panels adjacent to the driver (or co-driver). So metal roof and door but the roof can be aluminum and the inner door panel can be composite. There are other details regarding the inside of the door that I also have to check on.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
Yea, we are stealing one of Joey Kales' designs and adding an X through the firewall from the pass side main hoop to drivers side strut tower and vice versa. I trust Garrets welding to pass, Do you know if dry carbon doors are frowned upon? I know you cant have carbon roofs.

If you have a rotisserie, strip the underside, seal it, clear it, and put raptor liner down over it. Rust will be a thing of the past!
I'm hoping to build a rotisserie before I dig into the nice car. I actually used Herculiner on my rear quarters of the rust car I'm running now.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts