Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP Coupe
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I flocked the dash with a kit I got from donjer. Flock It! Flocking Fibers Adhesives Applicators Supplies and Equipment

Flocking is essentially "tar and feathering". There are threads about this already, but the the idea is to reduce glare from the dash.
I did it mostly because the tan interior was freaking AWFUL and a hobo lived in the car and I wanted to seal the smell.

Process:
1. Paint on adhesive. (There are MANY colors to pick)

2. "Puff" on fine suede material. (Also a LOT of colors)

3. Let dry.
4. ??? http://www.matmartinez.net/nsfw/ (<<<< Is actually safe for work...)

It makes a HUGE mess, but vacuums up pretty well. Except it was late that night and I went to sleep and it all got sucked into my apartment AC and I think I have lung cancer now.

·
Registered
97 L GF4, GD Sedan
24 Posts
sorry about the cancer, you can beat it. btw this looks sick! Do you have to worry about the flocking ever coming off?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry about the cancer, you can beat it. btw this looks sick! Do you have to worry about the flocking ever coming off?
Only time will tell now...

That is one major fall back on this stuff...

Do it PERFECT the FIRST time.

You cant touch this up like you touch up paint, supposedly. I made test piece and I plan to try this anyway and we will see what happens.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So how much did you buy to cover the whole thing?
I bought the Suede Tex Enhanced Nylon Mini Flocker Kit which was $58 shipped. It was PLENTY... I spilled a baggy on accident and thought I was going to be in trouble, but I laid it on SUPER thick. Whatever doesn't stick, you just wipe/blow off.

And I STILL have enough for test pieces and I may try flocking the old steering wheel and seeing how long it lasts as "suede-covered steering wheel"

Suede-Tex Enhanced NYLON Mini Flocker Kit #755 - Order

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Does broken motorsports still do flocking?

They may help you avoid the cancer.

·
Baby&#10084;Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
looks good!

however..why in the world would you leave the random tan pieces??

<---hater of all things tan interior.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks good!

however..why in the world would you leave the random tan pieces??

<---hater of all things tan interior.
I haven't really decided whether I want to even kep those pieces or not...If I do I may just paint them...

BUT I am going to try an vacuum form carbon fiber first and see how that goes. (for the A/C control piece and for the radio/ash tray center console piece. That way I can do switches and fuses and mount the EMS right behind it.

<---hater of all things tan
Racist

·
Baby&#10084;Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
:lol:

true, if you can find the stock grey pieces, they would look good with the black.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The vents may get deleted any way. I am not sure how people set up their rally cars? Im worried about dew building up on the windshield when it's cold out and I know some people do like electric heaters so I need to see how that works too.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
The vents may get deleted any way. I am not sure how people set up their rally cars? Im worried about dew building up on the windshield when it's cold out and I know some people do like electric heaters so I need to see how that works too.
I'd leave your factory heat in, besides being a little simpler an electric heater won't save much weight. I believe rally cars have heated windshields to deal with mist etc. heater core helps with cooling a little. If you tear apart the heater controls you might be able to rig it so it only does Demist at full heat full fan with a switch.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd leave your factory heat in, besides being a little simpler an electric heater won't save much weight. I believe rally cars have heated windshields to deal with mist etc. heater core helps with cooling a little. If you tear apart the heater controls you might be able to rig it so it only does Demist at full heat full fan with a switch.

Excellent input. Thank you. Ill aim to do this then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
i just bought the same flock kit, probably gonna do a bunch of random pieces along with door cards. I also have some stretchy micro-suede i will have to compare with the flock.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't sand.

I used one and 1/4 cans. And about the same amount of flock.

I highly recommend someone help you do this as it'll dry. You CANNOT OVER flock. So go crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts