Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Updated 12/21/13

This used to be my wife's car. It was bought from a friend after it was totaled. We got it with 135k miles on it. It has since slayed a deer and a fence post. It now has 279k or so. I turboed it at 275k.

Specs:
1996 White and Gray Outback (first year of genuine Outback)
EJ22 (only offered in Outback in 1996
5 spd
Cold weather package (heated mirrors, heated leather, block heater)

Mods:
'02 WRX 10mm oil pump
'02 WRX front seats
'03 WRX wagon springs/struts
'07 WRX TD04
'07 WRX TMIC
Omori Boost Gauge
Glowshift WB02
'05 LGT Wheels (powdercoated black)
Hallman Pro RX MBC
Unknown RRFPR with custom boost bleeder for tuning

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am currently at a crossroads. I have two different modification paths I can take so am currently weighing my options.

Option 1
High compression frankenstein consisting of:
EJ18 heads
Delta cams

Option 2
Turbo build consisting of :
'06 wrx TD04 turbo and TMIC
'02 wrx exhaust manifold

I already have a '02 wrx oil pump and '07 wrx fuel pump installed.

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turbo because cheaper. :p
Actually frankenstein is cheaper, heads are free. I just don't think I would be satisfied with it. Picking up turbo and tmic tomorrow. Somebody offered me a free exhaust manifold too

I just need to figure out what to do about exhaust since I currently have single port heads

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turbo and cams/built heads because power. Then DD that shit all day er day
Haha now you're talking. Unfortunately I need to get this done for under $500. Anybody in Cali got a turbo back exhaust they would like to donate or sell real cheap?

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have some issues to figure out for the turbo build. My biggest challenge will be finding someone who can and will weld stuff for me for cheap/free. Anybody in the Bay Area know of somebody?

I also don't know how to route the intake if the turbo is to remain in stock location. I've seen some people make it work with a tight 90 so that is probably what I will have to do.

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked the IC and TD04 from Tyler yesterday so I thought I would do a little mockup.

Here you can see my biggest obstacle to fitting the IC
[/IMG]

I took the ignitor and moved it against the firewall, tucked the A/C hose under the dogbone, moved the engine ground.
[/IMG]
I think the A/C hose under the dogbone can work if I tuck it behind the heater hoses. As you can see, the clutch fork would hit it when pushed in.

The IC was touching the cruise control module but it wasn't bad. The bracket can be bent so the module is angled just out of the way.
[/IMG]

Close up
[/IMG]

Once I had the IC mocked up I tried sticking the turbo in. If I were to connect the turbo outlet to the Y-pipe it placed the turbo pretty far back so that it would be absolutely easy to put a 90 on the intake. I have a feeling that once I mock up the UP it will place the turbo much closer to the back of the head and screw up the alignment with the y-pipe.

I also have to contend with this thing. I am pretty sure it is the part of the hill holder that senses when you are on an incline. I don't even have the hill holder hooked up anymore but deleting this thing could be a pain since it does have a hard brake line running to it.
[/IMG]

Also saw this sweet Ferrari 330 up at Blackhawk today :drool:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
00RS Coupe, 00RSwaggin
454 Posts
About time you put a little boost behind that bust :p.

Hey....I spy with my little eye...the other headlight to my RS on the ground.. My claim is 40mph :rotflmao:

PS on the brake lines on that side, all that kevin and I did was pull forward, and bend it around the front side of the strut tower, made plenty of room for my SC boost tubes.

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^lol

On my way to school today my front right CV started making a lot of noise so I parked it at a friend's house and will be fixing that on Saturday.

When I looked under the car to see what was up I also noticed that both of my plastic swaybar end links were busted and the sway bar was just flopping around.

Did some searching around to see if I could find something better that wouldn't break the bank. The whiteline heavy duty steel ones were the best bang for the buck and met all my requirements but everybody had them listed for the same price...$89.91

So I googled and started working my way down the list until I came to this site:
Whiteline KLC20A Sway Bar-Link Assembly Heavy Duty Steel - WCP Diesel

I saw the "make an offer" feature and thought why not offer $75 and they ended up giving them to me for $78! Plus I still got free shipping :clap:

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
About time you put a little boost behind that bust :p.

Hey....I spy with my little eye...the other headlight to my RS on the ground.. My claim is 40mph :rotflmao:

PS on the brake lines on that side, all that kevin and I did was pull forward, and bend it around the front side of the strut tower, made plenty of room for my SC boost tubes.
Hey what are you doing with that UP I gave you from the 20g? :puppy_dog

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the CV shaft swapped out today and found out one of my O2 sensors wasn't plugged all the way in. Maybe that will fix my intermittent cel.

In other news I have a lead on an up and down pipe that will work with my stock header. Needless to say this would make my turbo build a whole lot easier. Hopefully it works out...

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My friend was supposed to drive my car out to my place yesterday but when he went to drive it there was gas all over the ground. Sounds like at least a couple of gallons. I have to go check it out this afternoon.

Since I just replaced the fuel pump that will be the first place I look. I took the car for a test drive yesterday after the cv swap and it wasn't leaking then. I sure hope it is something simple and not a leak in the actual tank. I am not in the mood for a tank swap.

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay so Tyler (AWDorGTFO) gave me a ride to go check out the car and it just ended up being the feed on the outside of the fuel pump assembly popped off. I put two clamps on it and tightened them as good as I could with a screwdriver.

Car started right up and no leaks. Tyler followed me to the gas station around the corner and the car literally died right as I pulled into the gas station. :eek: It took 14.95 gallons to fill the tank without me topping it off.

Got it home and put a socket on the clamps and got them really tight. Hopefully that is the last time I have that problem.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts