Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 impreza rs black 06 wrx swap
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who used the gd rad. Did you have to trim both sides of the upper hose to clear or just one. I just released my upper hose is resting on the fan blade.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
510 Posts
Yea, I trimmed the engine side and left the rad side long so as to keep the hose as far away from the fans as possible. I felt there was plenty of clearance afterwards.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I trimmed the engine side and left the rad side long so as to keep the hose as far away from the fans as possible. I felt there was plenty of clearance afterwards.
How'd you clear the alternator pulley without trimming the rad side.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
510 Posts
How'd you clear the alternator pulley without trimming the rad side.
Hmmmm.... That's a good point. It's been over a year, I probly did trim both sides then. I'll try to find the hose and post a pic. I know it ended up fitting well enough that I wasn't concerned about it being damaged.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
510 Posts
Ok I did only cut the radiator side, but I'm not sure if I flipped it around or not. It looks to me like one end is slightly curved all the way to the center, and the other end is kinda straight from the center to the curve at the end (top down view). I put the curved section to the radiator and the straighter side to the engine. Didn't trim the engine side at all.

Imgur is stupid now so I can't post images until I get to a desktop computer, haven't had one in a while.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I did only cut the radiator side, but I'm not sure if I flipped it around or not. It looks to me like one end is slightly curved all the way to the center, and the other end is kinda straight from the center to the curve at the end (top down view). I put the curved section to the radiator and the straighter side to the engine. Didn't trim the engine side at all.

Imgur is stupid now so I can't post images until I get to a desktop computer, haven't had one in a while.
This is my hose. There were no markings could I have put it on backwards?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
510 Posts
Hmmmm, your radiator hose is definitely slightly different from mine. Looking at your setup, I would just try taking a half inch off each end and see where you end up. From what I remember a little goes a long way. I think it's just a process of trial and error. And theoretically a new rad hose can't be that hard to find if you go too far.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hmmmm, your radiator hose is definitely slightly different from mine. Looking at your setup, I would just try taking a half inch off each end and see where you end up. From what I remember a little goes a long way. I think it's just a process of trial and error. And theoretically a new rad hose can't be that hard to find if you go too far.
definitely going to replace the hose. I found the hose expanded and almost hit the alternator pully when it was hot. I ordered samco hose's. How much clearance should be good from the power steering pulley?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
510 Posts
Yeah, the hose most definitely shouldn't expand. Mine is very close, like a half inch away from the PS and alternator pulleys. I haven't had any trouble yet.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5 RS BRP
1 Posts
You could also consider zip tying the hose to the to the hard line that runs across the top of the fans. In my case I swapped over my thicker radiator and that was my best bet of keeping it off the pulley. I've had it on there for about 1.5 years now and haven't had any trouble

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,251 Posts
I left the engine-side long and trimmed the radiator side. I rested the hose up on the coolant pipe that comes across the radiator shroud there and usually zip-tie it there for extra support.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could also consider zip tying the hose to the to the hard line that runs across the top of the fans. In my case I swapped over my thicker radiator and that was my best bet of keeping it off the pulley. I've had it on there for about 1.5 years now and haven't had any trouble
It's pushed against the hardline the fan still hits. I'm replacing the hose with a samco one when I get back home.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I left the engine-side long and trimmed the radiator side. I rested the hose up on the coolant pipe that comes across the radiator shroud there and usually zip-tie it there for extra support.

View attachment 81991
I'll give that a try when I change the hose. What hood strut's are you using? I'm looking to get a set.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,251 Posts
I'll give that a try when I change the hose. What hood strut's are you using? I'm looking to get a set.
Dunno, just some random ones from ebay that were listed as compatible.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the clearance on this hose ok? I gave it a try to put the hose ontop of the rad cross pipe but it wasn't close enough so I had to cut it.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,251 Posts
I'd probably double hose-clamp that thing to the radiator overflow hard pipe that runs parallel... that's how my old setup was. Keeps it away from the pulley.

-- Dave

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd probably double hose-clamp that thing to the radiator overflow hard pipe that runs parallel... that's how my old setup was. Keeps it away from the pulley.

-- Dave
Would zip ties work? I think the zip ties look cleaner. The engine came with megan racing mounts so it shouldn't move that much. I am worried that tying it to the crossover pipe will make it hit the fan again but it does seem really to the pully.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts