Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone here done it?

Just recently saw a post on a local club and all in all I think I'm going to do it.

I know a lot of members are all about making it a JDM spec, show or beauty queen.

But for the sake of conversation I'm building a track toy. I can find these bumpers cheaper than most replica or authentic GC bumpers and hell you can get a functional front splitter easily.

Lets hear your thoughts on this!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
headlights, hoods, bumper, rad support, fenders = all completely different

after all that you're worried about the cost of aftermarket bumpers and functional splitters?

if you're building a legit track car, avoid the pitfall of going all out with every last aero mod you think you need, and get the car running consistently, and learn it. You may find, as many do, that they never get to the point where actual aero will make any appreciable difference

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
headlights, hoods, bumper, rad support, fenders = all completely different

after all that you're worried about the cost of aftermarket bumpers and functional splitters?

if you're building a legit track car, avoid the pitfall of going all out with every last aero mod you think you need, and get the car running consistently, and learn it. You may find, as many do, that they never get to the point where actual aero will make any appreciable difference
Ummm sorry saw the link.... I'm talking literally about only the bumper....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Yes, it's been done...with and without headlights. WRX and STi are a wider track vs a GC. You'll have to widen the track, or, section the bumper to get it to really look correct (depends on your standards), or, deal with the ~1/3 inch inch gap side to side/ ill matched up lines.

If you retain headlights like above, you'll be cutting the bumper height down at the headlight section, since blob eyes have the extra half circle dip, as well as at the grille since they are completely different. Adding material back to a poly bumper is no easy task, fiberglass would be far easier, though I've never seen an OEM blobeye FRP bumper.
Bottom line, is it doable? Of course - you can graft a Aventador nose to an Impreza if you want. But it's going to be extremely costly, and god forbid you ever hit anything, you'll be recreating it all over again. If I were that dead set on doing it to my own car, I'd make 2 at the same time so a spare was always available.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
I feel like it would be kinda janky since the gd bumpers have the grill molded into the bumper so for it to look right on a gc you would have to cut off those pieces then fill there holes in to make them look nice, if your worried about appearance I'd swap your stock bumper for a l bumper that you can cut up screw into zip tie etc, see if you can't get one or two from a junkyard etc. then you can keep your stock bumper pretty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts