Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza Rs 2.5 Blue
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok i got an issue here with my gc8 with hit kit installed.

1) the car got stock headlight harness
2) was working fine before untill i replaced the light kit ( using the old ballast )
3) driver side work's fine with no issue high or low beam
4) only passenger side high beam works. but flick's and turned off.
5 checked with ballast and the light both have no issue .i replace exchange it with the driver side to test them . they work's fine in the driver side only issue when i replace it back into the passenger side . does anyone know the issue??

·
Registered
1999 Impreza Rs 2.5 Blue
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
as i said i replace the ballast with the driver side work's fine..
wiring is a stock wiring .
fuse : checked the fuse they all look's fine..
i try to clear out everything so you guys would know what i had done to find the issue..

probably an issue with the ballast, or wiring, or the fuses. also your english is very hard to understand

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Are you sure that you're getting a good connection to the stock wiring harness?

Usually with an HID kit flickering on and off can be indicative of a low voltage problem on that side. Subaru has fuses for both headlights in the unde rhood fuse box, try swapping the 2 with each other and see if the problem moves (with a blown fuse, it'll still send voltage to the side that blew the fuse, just not 12v).

If this doesn't fix the problem, then get a multimeter and see how many volts you're getting at the connectors.

HID kits in stock housings are a bad idea all around. I HIGHLY recommend that you convert your headlights to a projector-style. Also, do you have some sort of bi-xenon HID kit? Most HID kits only have low beams.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza Rs 2.5 Blue
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
checked the harness is fine..

will try to switch the fuse tomorrow and see ...or replace the fuse

will also check it out with the multimeter tomorrow

i think is an bi-xenon hid kit..the kit i got it have hi/low beam..
everything work's fine on the driver side ..just not in the passenger side...

·
Registered
JDM Moneypit
599 Posts
While not an expert in electrical, the HID kit I had required higher amp fuses. It was precautionary I believe. They said to switch from a 5 amp to a 10 amp. Let me know if that helps out.

·
Registered
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
3,712 Posts
Trash the kit. You don't have proper headlights to use them, you just blind incoming traffic.
This thread isn't a debate to if hid's are good in our housings or not. The guy has hids and if you like it or not will be running them in his car no matter what comments you make. So unless you have something helpful to add to help him your comment is unnecessary.

Op first thing to do is to make sure your power and grounds are good. If you're obviously not getting that or it's in and out you'll have an issue. From there I'm not sure how your kit is but my old style set up runs a ballast and an ignitor. When ever I have an issue I'll start by swapping bulbs or put in known good bulbs, then swap my ignitors since they are the second easiest thing to move for my set up, then lastly ballasts. Find out which one is causing the issue and replace it.

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
23 Posts
Now that the issue seems resolved how about that HID debate? After using both aftermarket and oem setups as well as having plenty of friends doing retrofits my conclusion is that running HID in a non projector housing is fine. The question is do you have the right bulbs and have you properly adjusted and aimed the headlights after installation. Not many ppl know the difference between a d2s and a d2r bulb. D2s bulbs do not have a reflector shield on them because by design they were meant to be used in a projector. D2r bulbs have a reflective shield because they were designed to be used in a reflective housing type of headlight, something similar to that of the older Acura TL or earlier model Lexus. The ppl running pnp HID kits that blind everyone more often then not are using the wrong type of bulb, did not re-aim thier headlights and just plain have no clue. Don't hate on the pnp setups, they are not all bad. My supra is running d2s Philips oem rebased bulbs with Denso Lexus oem ballast. My cut off is not as sharp as say a s2000 hid setup but damn fine for a pnp kit.

To the OP glad you found your issue. It's frustrating when HID setups are not working right but illuminate the road fantastically when they do.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Now that the issue seems resolved how about that HID debate? After using both aftermarket and oem setups as well as having plenty of friends doing retrofits my conclusion is that running HID in a non projector housing is fine. The question is do you have the right bulbs and have you properly adjusted and aimed the headlights after installation. Not many ppl know the difference between a d2s and a d2r bulb. D2s bulbs do not have a reflector shield on them because by design they were meant to be used in a projector. D2r bulbs have a reflective shield because they were designed to be used in a reflective housing type of headlight, something similar to that of the older Acura TL or earlier model Lexus. The ppl running pnp HID kits that blind everyone more often then not are using the wrong type of bulb, did not re-aim thier headlights and just plain have no clue. Don't hate on the pnp setups, they are not all bad. My supra is running d2s Philips oem rebased bulbs with Denso Lexus oem ballast. My cut off is not as sharp as say a s2000 hid setup but damn fine for a pnp kit.

To the OP glad you found your issue. It's frustrating when HID setups are not working right but illuminate the road fantastically when they do.
we've been over this ad-nauseum. Search if you want to debate.

Clear reflector housing will do o.k. with HID retrofit, but it isn't ideal.

The fact of the matter is that halogen headlights use a ~1/4" long filament to produce light, and the housing is shaped for that shape of a light source.

HID's on the other hand really do have a "point" of light. As such they're designed differently.

Putting HID's in ANY light like the pre-99 lights (with the glass acting to aim the light) will do nothing but look incredibly stupid, have less light output, and blind other drivers.

HID's in a "crystal" (that is to say the glass is completely clear, and the reflector is used to aim the light) halogen housing will still have glare, just not as much.

HID's in HID-designed projectors is the IDEAL situation.

HID's in clear HID-designed reflectors is a distant second for an ideal solution.

There, end of HID discussion.

·
Registered
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs
3,712 Posts
There is tons of hid debate threads. I don't get why every thread must turn into one. What people say about them isn't going to change people's minds that they want them. It's like lecturing people about speeding or racing. It's a waste of time when someone has thier mind made up.

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
23 Posts
That is a damn fine rebuttal and I'd have to agree with you on all your points if you are striving for the perfect setup and the cleanest cut off. I guess my pov is that most ppl do not understand what a properly setup HID system should look exactly like and they settle for poor and ineffective lighting that blatantly blinds ppl more then illuminating the road properly. Rather then go through the headache of retrofits myself I personally go for the happy medium. A high quality pnp that I agree is not perfect but is still leaps and bounds over halogen lighting in a early 90's car. I do agree though not all application will yield great results but in certain situations you can get a really nice setup with good output that does not blind on coming traffic.

My aim is not necessarily to debate but more on the lines of helping to add to some education and some learning for myself. not everything is always black and white and If ppl are going to misinform or just state opinions as facts then I'd like to understand why is all. My apologize if I am doing more damage here then good. toocool brought up some good points and they are well taken. Hope I didn't step on any toes. :run:

Cheers,
Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.