Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question or perhaps merely an observation. Got the UK book on the Impreza Turbo. It indicates that a GC8 is a Turbo. 8 Indicating the Turbo Motor. Every one I have ever met or talked to tells me I am in a GC8. So I read the stamp on my car and indeed it is a GC6. Is it just that the "GC" indicates the body style?
Kevin
01 2.5 RS (Saloon)

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
GC8 sounds the coolest, so that's what we call 'em! Actually, it just makes it easier so that's pretty much how we refer to them. If you want to get technical, the GC8 is a 4-door with the 2.0 liter turbo engine. The G is for the Impreza(I think), the second letter is for the body style(M for coupe, I think F or W for wagon), and the number is for the engine. Mine is a GC2. Hope this helps. :)

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Yup, and my 2-door 2.5RS is a GM6. But I still call it a GC8, it just sounds better, plus people wil know what I'm talking about.

G

·
iirc the 8 just means it's a two liter motor. There are turbo and non-turbo 2.0s. :)
G stands for Gunma, the city where the Impreza is built.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Because with the WRX being the most popular model of the Impreza line, the commonly referred to chassis codes (GC8 and GDA) are those of the WRX sedan. The chassis parts still port to the cars with the other chassis codes but it's easier to just pick a single code and go with it.

So vendors were selling parts overseas listed for the "GC8" (the 93-00 WRX Sedan (as they got the GDA in 2001)) and that's just become associated with the entire line of that bodystyle.

The 98-01 2.5RS is GM6 (coupe) or GC6 (sedan). Speaking of which what are the chassis designations for the 02+ 2.5RS and 2.5TS? anyone?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts