Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 STi
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like its time to build another car. As far as Subaru goes Im very new, but have done other swaps. The plan is to buy a GC8 2dr manual, and a salvage sti (still up in the air on computers, got a megasquirt paperweight on the desk). Thanks to swap threads like the one brydon started it looks like everything is pretty straight forward. I know Im probably gonna get kicked to the interior thread for this one but i was wondering how much fabrication needed to be done to swap the sti interior in? If I use the sti drivetrain have there ever been any problems using the rs driveshaft. I know Im rocking the newb status but the subie threads seem alot more helpful than the mazda and mitsu communities I was a part of, and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
This week: 2005 Legacy GT
1,014 Posts
There's entirely too much info to just give you an answer. Best thing to do is think of a specific question you have then do a search on it. Everything has been covered multiple times, and there's a lot of great info on this site. Good luck!

·
Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
689 Posts
Yes, the RS driveshaft will work. As far as Engine management, if ur getting a salvage STI, just use the stock ECU unless your planning on doing turbo/engine mods. The wiring, as with any swap, will be the most difficult part. Everything mechanical will just bolt right in. Just remember that you need to switch the GC8 crossmember for the STi one (the STi one is notched for the up-pipe). Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs BRP ej20k
447 Posts
send your wiring to www.eastcoastswappers.com they do it in a timely fashion, its about 1000 shipped + or - 100 bucks and its a piece of mind, they are awesome at their job and ive never had a problem with my merged harness...you will need to send only the bulk heads but id ask them just to make sure ;]

like capt awesome said though, all mechanical stuff will work, im currently using rs driveshaft and axles in mine with an ej20k tranny and rear diff...id suggest trying to get a complete swap with tranny and all...if you buy a tranny it SHOULD come with a rear diff...if your state has emissions inspections DO NOT go w/ jdm, if you dont have a problem with inspections like just getting safeties or like SC, not having them at all...go jdm, get an ej207 swap...8k redline on most and usually they come with 6speed trannies...i think its v7 and v8, if you want to see some custom stuff on a jdm motor look at my thread, im doing upgrade turbo and lots of other goodies

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78047

i would definitely suggest NOT getting an ej20k b/c of many past experiances of people having thrown rod bearings...anything after version 6 and on should be fine

any questions feel free to post on my forum cus i probably will next check this one again ;]

·
Registered
97 STi
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I know my questions were a little vague, and I haven't done any searching as far as how many of you , if any run ms for engine management. Stock would be great for reliability, but stock sti hp numbers aren't exactly my goal.. I want to buy a whole sti to part out for the rs, but buying a built short block is very tempting. If I do go that route (2.5/7 block) what would be my best option for heads? I would just need a good casting to work with my friend has flow benches ect. I work between 60-70 hrs. a week and I need to start a build soon so I'm doing a lot of research and using the search button too, I promise.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
If you get a 6speed, you won't be able to use your stock driveshaft unless your car is an automatic and you get a matching WRX rear end. That's the wussies way out and since you'd be buying a complete car to part out, I would use the STI driveshaft so you can use the STI rear end and the brembos. Stick with the stock STI ECU, it can be tuned and will let your car run like only stock management can.

As for the interior, most of it can be swapped, you'll just need to modify the dash beam/dash, firewall and carpet to get those pieces to fit.

·
Registered
97 STi
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1500 from ECS for the merged harness.. I guess thats the price you pay for convenience. Brydon has a thread with all the pinouts (for a stock merge) and ms doesn't use that many sensors if I choose that route.

·
Registered
97 STi
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assumed the 4 door would have a longer driveshaft... Thats what I get for being a subaru newb and making assumptions.. What kind of numbers can the stock sti drivetrain support? Back to the search button.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
I assumed the 4 door would have a longer driveshaft... Thats what I get for being a subaru newb and making assumptions.. What kind of numbers can the stock sti drivetrain support? Back to the search button.
I know 1 guy with close to 400whp on a low reading dyno (stock STI is 210-220) and 1 guy with over 500whp on the same dyno that are both using the stock STI 6-speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts