Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Impreza L 207
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you removed all drivetrain, powertrain, and suspension components on a 99-01 GC and a GD, and then weighed them. If both have aluminum hoods, no seats, and no sunroof, what would the approximate weight difference be? I know this has been asked before, but the answers I've read vary from 150 all the way to 500 lbs... just hoping someone could narrow that range for me.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
or you could just take the weight difference in two stock as a box of rocks cars.

which is:

RS:2825 lbs
WRX:manual:3085 lbs auto: 3140 lbs

both taken from cars101.

·
Registered
93 Impreza L 207
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, that is not much at all. Pretty disappointing. Well, I guess I'll never know for sure how my GC compares until I have it weighed myself. Hopefully it weighs at least 200 less than a stock WRX.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
i'm wondering this same question, you read all the time that swapped GC's are stupid fast compared to the gd wrx.

my and my gf have identical mods ( 3" tbe + intake) and when we run em i'm only a hair faster than she is. i dont even have a full car length on her till well over the speed limit.

i have a 01 gc with a complete 04 wrx drivetrain
she's god a 03 wrx.

*edit*
when i go up to scrap some aluminum i'll post up what my car weighs how it sits, then we'll do the same on hers.

·
Registered
634 Posts
here in australia the GD wrx was 1390kg and the GC was 1270. both with the same engine, drivetrain, brakes, exhaust, airbags etc.

the seats on the GD are heavier, as are the wheels. that's about all i can think of that adds weight other than the chassis. and by chassis i'm including the doors/trunk. not like you can put GC doors on a GD.

i'd say it's pretty much exactly a 100kg difference. however the GD is more aerodynamic, stiffer, can fit wider tyres and there are a hell of a lot more aftermarket products available for it.

ultimately, you'd run a widebody (more grip) and caged (stiffer) GC should you be starting a track car from absolute scratch. once they're caged the stiffness difference is virtually non existent and so the extra weight/stiffness of the stock chassis on the GD is no longer an advantage because the cage is doing that job.

however, sponsors don't like GC's because there aren't as many of them so you're actually likely to end up going faster with a GD because you'll have more money you can spend on it via your sponsors.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
There's a video on youtube somewhere... a kid racing his two cars against each other. One is an STi swapped RS, the other is an STi. Both have the exact same powertrain. The RS wins by a longshot.. I'd say at least five full car lengths, if not more.

How do you explain that?

·
Registered
93 Impreza L 207
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sponsors don't like GC's because there aren't as many of them so you're actually likely to end up going faster with a GD because you'll have more money you can spend on it via your sponsors.
**** sponsors! Hate those guys!

If you're right about the difference in weight being ~100kg (220 lbs) that's actually not too shabby. Much better than the 120 quoted earlier.
Programming error? :p
Hahaha, that's actually a pretty plausible explanation.

·
Registered
634 Posts
**** sponsors! Hate those guys!

If you're right about the difference in weight being ~100kg (220 lbs) that's actually not too shabby. Much better than the 120 quoted earlier.

Hahaha, that's actually a pretty plausible explanation.
as i said, aside from the wheels & seats (and dash obviously) nothing else changed here when the chassis did. the same engine, gearbox, diffs, brakes, etc were all kept and the weight increase was 1270 to 1390kg.

the wheels are a little heavier, as are the seats. i did however forget about the front subframe on the GD's, so i'd guess it's more like 90kg (so 200lbs). basically a heavy passenger, and you've got the stiffness and all the other advantages i mentioned with the GD to boot.

here in aussieland it's a pretty common consensus that the GC is obviously faster straight line but the GD outhandles it. however the GC's are generally faster because being older they're cheaper, which leaves the owners with more cash left over to spend on mods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Say you removed all drivetrain, powertrain, and suspension components on a 99-01 GC and a GD, and then weighed them. If both have aluminum hoods, no seats, and no sunroof, what would the approximate weight difference be? I know this has been asked before, but the answers I've read vary from 150 all the way to 500 lbs... just hoping someone could narrow that range for me.
I'm interested in knowing this too. Maybe somebody that has parted out their car completely can give us a very accurate answer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.