Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roof is rusted to crap, all along the windshield edges (both front and back).

I looked deeper into the situation, and all around the sunroof, the paint and metal has flaked away due to rust. At this point, I don't think it's worth grinding down all the rust and repainting, because I would be patching with steel as well. Instead, I think I should just replace the roof.

I can find a four door roof locally, but I have a 2 door. Usually, the junk yards list the parts that are interchangeable, but they don't list the 2 and 4 door roofs as the same.

Is there a difference? I can't find any measurements. And, the junkyard is about an hour away, so it'd be a bit of a waste to drive out there just to take measurements.

any help would be hot. tia

·
Registered
1995 L
1,541 Posts
Yup, same size. I replaced my sunroof top with a non sunroof skin. You'd be better off getting a new panel from the dealership, they're less than $300, and it make's the job a whole lot easier. your probably going to bend and/or destroy the roof panel when your removing it, it's very thin and easy to bend.

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John2.5RS: dang, never thought of buying new...

I'll have to look into that. As for the skin I'd be replacing with: I imagine the junkers would already have pulled it off? But...better to start fresh...easier to paint.

How did yours come off? were the spot welds easy to drill out? easy to weld the new one in? you have any pics?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actually with salvage yards they just cut them right off probly a little below the sail panel and the Qtr glass post and Windshield Pillar. So they give you the actually removal drilling the spot welds and de gluing it. Junk yards just get the money and dont make the job easier. When i put in a used A/C cond. and Trani cooler they just cut it off at the lines and mounts. They do there stuff quick. And Sawzalls are there friends lol!

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hehehe that's so true about the sawzalls...

and, I once asked for rear calipers with hubs, and ended up getting the rear calipers mounted to the hubs (with rotors), which were mounted to the control arms, which had the shocks and springs still attached!! lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts