Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Impreza RS 2.5
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of gas should I use in my 2002 RS 2.5 Impreza? Someone said premium...is that highest octane? Can I use mid-level just fine?

Also...do I need to wax after each wash? Thanks.

blakespot

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Let's see, I think the owners manually actually only says something with a minimum octane rating of 87. But please don't take my word for it.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Your best bet is to figure out what octane is, and how it works. Maybe go to howstuffworks.com.

A real quick explaination, and answer to your question is no, higher octane won't do anything for your car. Octane makes fuel less combustible, allowing for greater ignition advance. Since the RS's ECU is not programable, you will not get any advance.

By the way, this topic has been beat to hell, and the only people that believe higher octane is better are those who use it, and just think that. Never any evidence has been put forth to confirm anything. Well...besides the ever reliable butt dyno.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Yeah, the Super Unleaded is just more expensive - it does not make a difference otherwise.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Just don't go with that 85 crap sold in CO. Your ECU will act like windows 95. 87 or 89 if you're worried. The oil companies are to blame for people thinking high octane is really premium. It's just that, higher octane.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts