Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'99 2.5 RS Rally Blue Pearl
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry, dont know what section to post this in.

anyway, i just completed a drive from dc area to chicago to help my sis move. i got here and we checked her cc, and apparently at each fillup we got charged upwards of $275!!

i mean i know gas prices are high...honestly though somehow our $30-40 gas and go's turned into hundreds a piece, and we can't contest them until they actually show up on the statement. the last place we filled up was...vallepo? i have the receipt somewhere.

anyone else had this happen? i'm kind of in shock at the moment. i mean appartently i ran up near $1k in gas charges! come on cc company, is this supposed to be my fraud protection?

so...beware of freak charges at gas stations?

·
Registered
2000 RS ej20g swap
505 Posts
did they send you a list of places you filled up at?

my girlfriend lets me use one of her dads multiple gas cards whenever i need it, i havent paid for gas in months, haha.Anyway he supposidly gets some type of statement saying where the cards are used, so try to get somethin like that and make sure its right

·
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2004 Toyota Matrix XRS, 1999RS
983 Posts
That might be what they call a authorized hold against your cc card. Although I never heard of them charging that much.

Or they are riping you off.

Excerpt from Smart Money -
Stations have started asking banks to hold $50, even $100. That means even if you just topped off your tank for $10, you could be out $100 until the station sends over its bulk transactions, which can take up to three days. If your funds are running low, you might end up bouncing a check in the meantime — even though you had the money in your account.

·
Registered
'99 2.5 RS Rally Blue Pearl
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gdub said:
That might be what they call a authorized hold against your cc card. Although I never heard of them charging that much.

Stations have started asking banks to hold $50, even $100. That means even if you just topped off your tank for $10, you could be out $100 until the station sends over its bulk transactions, which can take up to three days. If your funds are running low, you might end up bouncing a check in the meantime — even though you had the money in your account.
could be that, i'm waiting for it to show up on my statement. i've never heard of that before, i hope it's as simple as that and will get cleared up without hassle...

edit: haha, i said "that" a lot :)

·
Registered
2008 AW STi
5,361 Posts
gdub said:

Why is this done? Doesnt make any sense to me. I would be freakin pissed!

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Gas receipts show the amount put into your tank, as well as the total cost. If you get it from the pump, anyway.

So, there might be a minimum "hold" like I see in the article, there, but all you need to do is show them the fuel capacity listing in your owner's manual.

For most/all Imprezas it's 15.9 gallons. Even at $3/gallon plus taxes, that maxes out at, what, just south of $50/tank?

·
Registered
2016 Golf R
219 Posts
Imprezademics said:
Why is this done? Doesnt make any sense to me. I would be freakin pissed!
It's done because they like pissing people off and a couple of reasons. First being that they do that to anticipate how much you're going to fill up, regardless of how much you actually filled versus the hold they put. The discrepancy is fixed when the merchant batches out and all the credit card charges are sent to the issuing bank(s).

It can also be used as a way to legally sidestep visa/mastercard rules and regulations in regards to no minimum/maximum, a merchant with high discount rate will hate the 18 wheelers filling up $150 worth. All they have to say is that it's for security or fraud prevention.

I wouldnt worry about it, they used to do it all the time in restaurants (which is over authorization, for tips). The charges will correct themselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts