Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2000 2.5rs and there is a gas leak, does anyone know a fix/what's causing this?

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
395 Posts
Are the lines exiting the unibody in the image from the passenger or driver side of the vehicle? I'm assuming driver, side but clarification might get you better suggestions as to what's wrong or how to fix.

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
48 Posts
Those are the lines that exit from the cabin on the drivers side and then route up and above the gas tank.

There's three probable causes going on here.
  • First, and what I believe is most likely in your case judging by the outrigger frame and surrounding unibody, is the fuel tank seam that joins the two halves is separating at the halfway mark, due to rust, and causing a leak. The only fix in this case is to drop the tank and replace it (expect over $1000 in labor at a shop as the majority of the rear suspension has to come out--not an easy job and a lot can go wrong here with a rusty vehicle).
  • Second, the gasket on top of the tank for the sub-level sender can be leaking. To verify this, in the trunk/near rear seats there should be two access ports. Unscrew the lids and do a visual inspection to see if there are any leaks coming from the senders.
  • Finally, there could be a bad line. The fuel feed on the later-years (1999? onward) utilize a nylon feed-tube with a quick disconnect. See the image below. This line will not rust, but could potential develop a hole some how. Alternatively, one of the other lines that run atop of the tank could have developed a hole cause a leak. Again, these could be checked via visual inspection through the inspection holes in the trunk area.
I have attached some reference images below.

If you're mechanically inclined, this is a doable job. I have replaced three fuel tanks at this point now, all Northeastern vehicles. However, they all have had their challenges and it can become a time consuming and frustrating task at points. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
892 Posts
On my coupe, the gas tank itself was leaking from the seam in one corner. Upgraded to a 2nd gen Impreza tank, bolts right up but required a longer tank strap on one side.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
395 Posts
Those are the lines that exit from the cabin on the drivers side and then route up and above the gas tank.

• First, and what I believe is most likely in your case judging by the outrigger frame and surrounding unibody, is the fuel tank seam that joins the two halves is separating at the halfway mark, due to rust, and causing a leak. The only fix in this case is to drop the tank and replace it (expect over $1000 in labor at a shop as the majority of the rear suspension has to come out--not an easy job and a lot can go wrong here with a rusty vehicle).
  • Second, the gasket on top of the tank for the sub-level sender can be leaking. To verify this, in the trunk/near rear seats there should be two access ports. Unscrew the lids and do a visual inspection to see if there are any leaks coming from the senders.
  • Finally, there could be a bad line. The fuel feed on the later-years (1999? onward) utilize a nylon feed-tube with a quick disconnect. See the image below. This line will not rust, but could potential develop a hole some how. Alternatively, one of the other lines that run atop of the tank could have developed a hole cause a leak. Again, these could be checked via visual inspection through the inspection holes in the trunk area.

View attachment 86475
View attachment 86474

If you're mechanically inclined, this is a doable job. I have replaced three fuel tanks at this point now, all Northeastern vehicles. However, they all have had their challenges and it can become a time consuming and frustrating task at points. Best of luck.
Hey Silver...any chance you could forward me the lower image of the gas tank so I could enlarge it? I have to address a fuel leak on my daughter's 97 Impreza from a broken line coming from the "rollover valve" to the top of the tank - Suby illustrations show parts and numbers but not a clear image of where the connections are in relation to placement on top of the tank. The image above is perfect and would rally help me out to visualize how to fix this damn thing. Thanks. Sorry Zunfix - not trying to steal your thread.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
395 Posts
^^^ Please disregard and please disregard the PM I sent - initially I couldn't click on the pic to enlarge. After reloading I'm able to do so.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
395 Posts

View attachment 86475
View attachment 86474

What year, make, & model vehicle is the pictured gas tank for?

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
48 Posts
What year, make, & model vehicle is the pictured gas tank for?
The one above came out of a 2006 WRX STI.
Here is a picture of my 2001 2.5RS fuel tank when pulled:

Capacity between the AWD tanks is the exact same - 15.9 gallons. The only difference in GC vs GD tanks is the baffling, as well as the cut valves and the center vent valve. However, the components are swappable and I am running 2001 RS everything evaporative equipment in the GD tank with zero codes (fuel pressure sensor, cut valves, vent valve, senders).

RS Baffle on the left, GD baffle on the right. Notice the GD baffle has a top portion as well as is wider--this is due to the fuel pump on the GD's came equipped with an additional surge box situated around the pump pickup.

GC cut valves on the left, GD cut valves on the right. Center is a GD vent valve, but visually the same to the GC one - however, part number is different. I am unaware of the actual difference.

Pictured below is a earlier style AWD tank. Notice the lack of the center vent valve. This tank can be made compatiable on new emissions style setups, please see this post for more information.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,159 Posts
Excellent info in this thread

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
48 Posts
I went through my photos and labeled some lines, equipment, etc. to hopefully aid in anyone who is looking at the daunting mess that is OBD2 evaporative equipment.

First things first, there are a couple of other things I forgot to mention above that I should point out. The 93-95 fuel tanks are a bit different as I believe they were a single saddle design. The early tanks (pre-facelift) are not something I am entirely familiar with, so mileage may vary there.

The GD tanks also have drain ports (big plus in my book). Some have them on one side only, some have them on both. I am not sure why this is, as I have seen some 2005 Forester's with both yet my 2006 tank only has the one. Either way, it makes emptying the tank prior to removal a breeze compared to siphoning with a pump.

The GD tanks also had an additional vapor purge solenoid mounted directly next to the fuel pressure sensor on the top of the tank. I am not sure exactly why the inclusion of this, but it exists. It can be removed for use in a GC with the mounting bracket left open. See below.

Next up I just have some labeled photos of the GC evap equipment on an OBD2 equipped, rear charcoal canister vehicle.

Rollover Valve

Finally, I have an image of the GD tank mounted in my 01' RS. Very tight fit. I believe there are some points of contact to the chassis, as suggested by the rubber insulators mounted on certain faces of the tank. A commenter above suggested different tank straps -- this was not true in my case. After reviewing some part numbers, the GC tank straps cross over until 2005 on various Impreza and Forester models as well. I believe the only change on the newer ones superceding these models is the addition of more studs along the bottom of the straps for additional heat shielding. What is true, however, is that one tank strap is longer than the other. The straps should be marked LH and RH with an arrow indicating direction. To mount the fuel tank, use the short bolts in the front and let the straps hang. Then, the two longer bolts mount in the rear which guide the tank up during tightening.

If I am missing anything, or if there is anything else you would like to see, let me know as I most likely have a picture of it somewhere.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
395 Posts
Holy shit!!! I feel like such a geek for saying this, but this thread got so fucking awesome! Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went through my photos and labeled some lines, equipment, etc. to hopefully aid in anyone who is looking at the daunting mess that is OBD2 evaporative equipment.

First things first, there are a couple of other things I forgot to mention above that I should point out. The 93-95 fuel tanks are a bit different as I believe they were a single saddle design. The early tanks (pre-facelift) are not something I am entirely familiar with, so mileage may vary there.

The GD tanks also have drain ports (big plus in my book). Some have them on one side only, some have them on both. I am not sure why this is, as I have seen some 2005 Forester's with both yet my 2006 tank only has the one. Either way, it makes emptying the tank prior to removal a breeze compared to siphoning with a pump.
View attachment 86508

The GD tanks also had an additional vapor purge solenoid mounted directly next to the fuel pressure sensor on the top of the tank. I am not sure exactly why the inclusion of this, but it exists. It can be removed for use in a GC with the mounting bracket left open. See below.
View attachment 86513

Next up I just have some labeled photos of the GC evap equipment on an OBD2 equipped, rear charcoal canister vehicle.

Rollover Valve
View attachment 86509

View attachment 86510
View attachment 86511
View attachment 86512

Finally, I have an image of the GD tank mounted in my 01' RS. Very tight fit. I believe there are some points of contact to the chassis, as suggested by the rubber insulators mounted on certain faces of the tank. A commenter above suggested different tank straps -- this was not true in my case. After reviewing some part numbers, the GC tank straps cross over until 2005 on various Impreza and Forester models as well. I believe the only change on the newer ones superceding these models is the addition of more studs along the bottom of the straps for additional heat shielding. What is true, however, is that one tank strap is longer than the other. The straps should be marked LH and RH with an arrow indicating direction. To mount the fuel tank, use the short bolts in the front and let the straps hang. Then, the two longer bolts mount in the rear which guide the tank up during tightening.
View attachment 86514
If I am missing anything, or if there is anything else you would like to see, let me know as I most likely have a picture of it somewhere.
How much fuel do you drink on a daily basis? Haha thanks man.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts