Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after the last two crazy weather shifts i started smelling fuel in the wife's forester. I searched forester gas smell and saw a thread on it somewhere on the internet but don't recall where, so i am starting one here.

Apparently early SG foresters have this problem. Extremely cold weather can cause the clamps on the fuel lines to loosen. When they loosen the pressure causes them to leak.

So when she said it was such a strong smell she couldn't breathe in the car i figured it was a good time to check it out.

I found the first leak on the drivers side on a 3 inch section of hose right under the spark wires. It was leaking about a drop every 3 or 4 seconds at idle. Pretty considerable leak. I didn't have any of the correct size line and i was too lazy to take the line off for a full inspection, so i just shifted the clamp over, made sure the line wasn't split or dry rotted, and then double clamped it. Leak stopped for now.

But, wait, there's more!

I still smelled gas but the leak was stopped. That is when i found the other side leak. The injector feed line on the passenger side. The short 3 inch section is under that metal cover and was dripping every 1-2 seconds. Bad. So i had to disconnect the power steering lines, the head breather hose, and remove the cover plate to get to it. I looked at the hose and it seemed to be in good condition, so i just tightened down the screw in the clamp. It was really loose.

Currently no more leaks but it is still cold out so more could develop.

I would suggest to any of you folks who think your gas mileage is starting to suck and you get a whiff of fuel while idling, go check those lines. It took me less than 30 minutes for this job and possibly saved my family from a fiery death!

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,037 Posts
It's a known issue for alot of cars.. there is even a TSB for the 02-03 WRX. It started happening to my 04 WRX and Subaru wouldn't even remotely consider fixing it.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
there is a recall for a few subarus for issues like that. I actually just replaced that same line on the passengers side a few week ago on the wifes car

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Link to recall? I am not finding it on google.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like only the WRX.

·
Registered
BRP '01 2.5RS 4EAT coupe
113 Posts
My RS did the same thing a few winters ago. I remember being told "well, they run richer when it's cold." Not that rich.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,732 Posts
Funny Wifes XT just did the same thing. Puddling and loosing fuel bad drivers side under the intake.

Suck since we had to take the whole thing apart and take manifold off just to get to the lines.

Ran 4 new lines under to make sure, but if you do it (ON THE XT) the one connecting to the FPR is a pre bent one you will have to order (or get the kit)

Good 4 hour job just for that :(

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Running rich assumes that the fuel reaches the combustion chamber!

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't take the intake off, just reached between the pipes.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,555 Posts
I've got a similar issue with my FXT leaking under the manifold. Subaru only counts the recall for the 02-03 WRX, and wanted to charge me over $600 to fix it. I'll be seeing if I can tighten the lines on my own, otherwise I'll pull the manifold and replace them.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
glad I replaced all the lines on my fxt when I had the manifold off last!

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
I will have to check this out.

It was -22 wind chill on Monday and negative something on Tuesday. Today we're up to a whopping 20 degrees above zero.

So far, I'm looking at 100 miles and I'm down to half a tank. Normally, even in the winter, I get at least 130 miles. I attributed the loss to the insane temps and the warm up period running rich.

I don't have my exact numbers, but I was getting 17MPG at 130 miles to half (when officially calculated at fillup). With 100 miles to half now, I can calculate by the ratio that I'll get 13MPG. Damn, son. We'll see what the real number comes in at fill up.

I'll check and see if any is dripping. MAF is clean, catted downpipe has 25k, oil with 2k, and new plugs. I should be getting 17-19mpg even in the winter is what I normally get.

<----- logs MPG religiously and only uses one specific pump at one specific gas station. Welcome to being an accountant.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you want to check for dripping the car must be running. If you turn it off before you check like my wife did there won't be any pressure in the lines and you won't see ****.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Got it. I'll do so.

... best part is my hood latch doesn't like to lock in cold weather for some reason. It'll fully shut, then pop up to where you need to hit the latch portion to open as soon as any air flies under it. None of my previous Subies had this issue...

Why do we love Subarus again? lol

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love mine because it is all wheel drive and super easy to fix.

I may hate the next one when it starts moving away from mechanical and moves toward electrical.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,732 Posts
I've got a similar issue with my FXT leaking under the manifold. Subaru only counts the recall for the 02-03 WRX, and wanted to charge me over $600 to fix it. I'll be seeing if I can tighten the lines on my own, otherwise I'll pull the manifold and replace them.

Problem is they assemble the lines with intake upside down so all the screws are facing the wrong way when you try to tighten them from up top :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts