Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Subaru Impreza, FWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after looking over the forum for some time, I found quite a few helpful answers, but didn't quite nail what I'm up against, so here goes:

I have a 93 Subaru Impreza, 5 speed manual, FWD, Doing a VIN search it came up as an L, it's a 4 door sedan with some power options. Everywhere I've looked online has come up dry in telling me the difference between a base model, an L, and an LS, all I know is that from what I 'have' seen, there is supposed to be some difference if your rig is an LS or non-LS that differentiates the Transmissions.

I bought the car knowing it had a bad transmission, expecting to pull one from the wreckers or order one or something, turns out the FWD is so rare finding one is like trying to find a unicorn, (I have found clutches though, and I know they are smaller than the AWD ones). The rig can be driven, but literally drools transmission fluid, the clutch slips and burns, and it smokes like crazy because it pours on the exhaust, so the car is currently parked in the garage waiting to be taken apart once I know which way I'm going with repair.

So, is it possible to gut another transmission (AWD?) and put that into a FWD transmission? Or am I better off just doing a conversion?

I am aware that a conversion is very time consuming and costs a penny or two, I'm ok with that, I just want to know what route is the best, and what my options are, I know Subaru parts are supposed to be interchangeable for quite a few models and year ranges, but I'm new to the Make and still unfamiliar with what will work or not, so here I am.

I can post any additional info, pics, etc, if needed.

Thank you in advance. Now off to bed. :sleep: But I will be back when I'm up.

*Fun facts:

-I'm pretty sure a prior owner put ATF in the tranny, it seemed too fluid when I checked it initially, and I later found less than half a bottle of it in the trunk.

-There are metal shavings in the gear fluid.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza OBS
484 Posts
depends if you want it FWD/AWD
im FWD now, (93 sedan base) and am swapping to AWD in the future
if its just a car to get around in, itd be easier (MPG and cost wise) to just rebuild your FWD
my .02

·
Registered
Wannabe JDM GF4
1,719 Posts
So, after looking over the forum for some time, I found quite a few helpful answers, but didn't quite nail what I'm up against, so here goes:

I have a 93 Subaru Impreza, 5 speed manual, FWD, Doing a VIN search it came up as an L, it's a 4 door sedan with some power options. Everywhere I've looked online has come up dry in telling me the difference between a base model, an L, and an LS, all I know is that from what I 'have' seen, there is supposed to be some difference if your rig is an LS or non-LS that differentiates the Transmissions.

I bought the car knowing it had a bad transmission, expecting to pull one from the wreckers or order one or something, turns out the FWD is so rare finding one is like trying to find a unicorn, (I have found clutches though, and I know they are smaller than the AWD ones). The rig can be driven, but literally drools transmission fluid, the clutch slips and burns, and it smokes like crazy because it pours on the exhaust, so the car is currently parked in the garage waiting to be taken apart once I know which way I'm going with repair.

So, is it possible to gut another transmission (AWD?) and put that into a FWD transmission? Or am I better off just doing a conversion?

I am aware that a conversion is very time consuming and costs a penny or two, I'm ok with that, I just want to know what route is the best, and what my options are, I know Subaru parts are supposed to be interchangeable for quite a few models and year ranges, but I'm new to the Make and still unfamiliar with what will work or not, so here I am.

I can post any additional info, pics, etc, if needed.

Thank you in advance. Now off to bed. :sleep: But I will be back when I'm up.

*Fun facts:

-I'm pretty sure a prior owner put ATF in the tranny, it seemed too fluid when I checked it initially, and I later found less than half a bottle of it in the trunk.

-There are metal shavings in the gear fluid.

The ATF is used as a PS fluid, usually about a half a quart to fill it too.

Finding/buying new and swapping a FWD tranny will be cheaper and easier lol

Buuuut

As far as the swap... make sure you have a donor car to rip everything out of, otherwise it will take you longer to round up all the parts and bolts. Feel free to PM me with any questions about the swap, i used to have a bunch of pics on it but they are no longer there.

If you are doing a awd swap, you can look in my journal and read that too.
Here is a list I posted before that you need off the awd.

its kinda a pain in the ass But here is the list.

Transmission
Cv axels
Tranny crossmember
Rear diff (needs to match your tranny)
Rear crossmember (Different lateral links you also need the big ass bolts that hold it together)
Rear Diff support
Driveline/shaft
Rear hubs
Rear struts
Awd gas tank
Rebend your Muffler pipe
AWD Shift linkage - The fwd shift linkage wont work on a Awd tranny.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,632 Posts
I have a fwd transmission that need a new shaft and such, maybe the parts you need are in it?

I also have a pretty much brand new clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing with like 18 miles max on them.

·
Registered
93 Subaru Impreza, FWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As of now, I'm just looking for the quickest way to get the car back on the road, I want to do a conversion later on, but will do it now if it's easier to find the parts to do it. and thank you for the info and offers for help on it, I really appreciate it. :)

If I do a FWD repair, I basically am going to need the seals, gears, all of it, but since I can't seem to find a FWD tranny anywhere, can I use a rebuild kit for an AWD tranny to rebuild my FWD tranny? Or no? And if I can, what year/model ranges would I need to look for that would be compatible?

·
Registered
Wannabe JDM GF4
1,719 Posts
As of now, I'm just looking for the quickest way to get the car back on the road, I want to do a conversion later on, but will do it now if it's easier to find the parts to do it. and thank you for the info and offers for help on it, I really appreciate it. :)

If I do a FWD repair, I basically am going to need the seals, gears, all of it, but since I can't seem to find a FWD tranny anywhere, can I use a rebuild kit for an AWD tranny to rebuild my FWD tranny? Or no? And if I can, what year/model ranges would I need to look for that would be compatible?

I Highly Highly Highly doubt you can use a AWD kit on a FWD, but i dont know

I be surprised if you can even find a rebuild kit or parts for the FWD tranny

Check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for local junkers in your area or have one shipped to you

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I would find a used fwd in excellent condition and change the external seals or just do the swap. Repairing the internals of any transmission can get pricey and may take a lot of time. If you can't find a lower mileage fwd, convert to awd. Maybe you could search for some newer fwd ones online, a few members claim Subaru still sells fwd cars in some other countries. I swapped the bearings in my old fwd, they were expensive and you can only get them directly from the dealer. And that was without replacing the shafts. I also bought a full seal kit, also dealer only. $$$$$

·
Registered
93 Subaru Impreza, FWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, ok, well then I'll go with a plan A, with a possible plan B, I'll be hunting down what I need to convert the car, if I happen to find a FWD tranny before I start, I'll do that if not, then on with the conversion!

I've checked on car-part, but the only places even close to me are high mile tranny's and hard to get a hold of the people with my work schedule.

I'm going to try the local 'pull it yourself' yard if I have time this weekend, they have several impreza's, 93 thru 96 if I recall, so likely will have the parts I need between them.

I saw there is a section for people who do updates on their car, do you folks think anyone would be interested in a progress report like this, or no?

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,762 Posts
The rig can be driven, but literally drools transmission fluid, the clutch slips and burns, and it smokes like crazy because it pours on the exhaust
You sure it's tranny fluid and not just motor oil? That's the same symptoms as a bad rear crank seal.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,762 Posts
With how much time/money/effort to do a swap, it'd probably be easier to just buy an AWD with a blow engine and just engine swap it.

·
Registered
93 Subaru Impreza, FWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Location? I have a good working FWD trans.
Eastern Washington? Pretty much the middle of the state, but if you're close enoguh I can drive quite a ways if necessary.

You sure it's tranny fluid and not just motor oil? That's the same symptoms as a bad rear crank seal.
Yep, I was filling the tranny fluid on the drive home with the car, and kept checking the oil, the oil was fine, the tranny fluid kept getting low.

If you need help along the way, see my build. http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t189189-ej18-track-build-95-subaru-impreza-lucy.html

Also, like I said, if you find a replacement FWD, I have a practically new clutch that is useless to me. My other 95 FWD transmission uses an AWD clutch.
Ok thank you, if I find a tranny I'll let you know, I can pay for shipping etc.

Also, I forgot to make a quote, but regarding the work and such, I can get the parts off a car at a pull your own part yard for cheap, and I'm not afraid of the work, I cut the front off the honda and put a new one on, along with various other parts, and still have more to work on but did that to get it back on the road. And I'm kind of looking forward to doing it. I appreciate you trying to spare me time and cost, however the local Subarus for sale are all in the thousands for cost, this one was $900, even the ones with blown engines and such people won't budge on price and want a pretty penny for, so that's my reason for going with hunting down parts from the yard.

·
Registered
93 Subaru Impreza, FWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Location? I have a good working FWD trans.
If you need help along the way, see my build. http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t189189-ej18-track-build-95-subaru-impreza-lucy.html

Also, like I said, if you find a replacement FWD, I have a practically new clutch that is useless to me. My other 95 FWD transmission uses an AWD clutch.
What would you folks like for prices on what you have? I'm still intent on a later conversion, I've done plenty of reading and should be able to get all I need with little trouble, but if I can get the car on the road soon that would be better.

·
Registered
93 Subaru Impreza, FWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ok got it and replied.

Haha, now that's what I'll be thinking. I picked the name just trying to be funny and do something different.

I'm off to the yards today, 100 mile drive to get there. Should be fun!

*edit*

Can anyone tell me, assuming I find a legacy, or some other model Subaru in the 93-94 range with a 5 speed manual FWD, if that would work for a 93 Impreza of the same year/transmission type? If so then it's pretty likely I'll find what I need, there are several in that year range listed, so hopefully they have what I'm looking for.

Oh and thank you to everyone who has been so friendly and helpful to a newcomer, I really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts