Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some insight on what I want to do in the next year or two. How much should I plan on spending and how reasonable is this idea?

I want to buy a GC8 or RS 4 door without rust and with a clean title.
---STi or WRX engine build then swap into the car. I don't know what year would be best for building both in terms of reliability and decent power. I'm not trying to make 500whp, maybe 300-350, but I also want the car to last a long time after I finish.
---STi 6 speed manual transmission.
---Some sort of deep exhaust that emphasizes the rumble.
---Widebody fenders, subtle front lip, and sideskirts. Then have it painted white all around.
---Lower suspension, good for daily driving but also give a good road feel.
---Si drive, if possible I would like to be able to change from whatever ratio awd to 100% fwd to 100% rwd. I've never seen this done and think it would be an awesome addition to this build as well as make the car that much more unique and fun.

Right now I'm planning on spending around $1500 for a GC8 sedan with a blown engine or something seriously wrong with it. My last '97 OBS was $600.
Around $4000 for the engine and turbo components as a whole.
$500-1000 for the 6 speed (?)
$2000-3000 for body work and paint.
$1000 for interior.

Overall, I want it to be a $15-20k car after it is all said and done. My budget right now is around $10k.

Am I crazy?

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
$2k-$7k for engine (so many WRX and STI engines out there, so price is really dependent on whether you get a WRX or STI engine and what year. If you want something fairly recent, you're going to be much closer to the $7k mark for an STI)
$3k-5k for 6 speed tranny
$1k-$1.5k just for wide body kit, not installed
$3k+ for bodywork and paint
$ ??? interior (price really depends on what you are getting)
$200-$400 for DCCDPro

This doesn't even include buying the GC to swap the parts into, nor all the other miscellaneous parts you'll need. Subframe, exhaust, etc.

I'm sure you can whip up a WRX or old GC STI engine swap together for $10k, as long as you are doing all the work yourself, including the wire merge. That's just for the car, engine/tranny, and anything else required to make it all work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$2k-$7k for engine (so many WRX and STI engines out there, so price is really dependent on whether you get a WRX or STI engine and what year. If you want something fairly recent, you're going to be much closer to the $7k mark for an STI)
$3k-5k for 6 speed tranny
$1k-$1.5k just for wide body kit, not installed
$3k+ for bodywork and paint
$ ??? interior (price really depends on what you are getting)
$200-$400 for DCCDPro

This doesn't even include buying the GC to swap the parts into, nor all the other miscellaneous parts you'll need. Subframe, exhaust, etc.

I'm sure you can whip up a WRX or old GC STI engine swap together for $10k, as long as you are doing all the work yourself, including the wire merge. That's just for the car, engine/tranny, and anything else required to make it all work.
Does this DCCDPro system have the ability to change from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive and anything in between?

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
No, nothing bought is going to give you the ability to go from FWD to RWD and everything inbetween.

Even if you figured out a way to do it, it wouldn't be a good idea, since the tranny isn't designed for such. You'd end up just breaking it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if I should start a new thread or keep this once going... But I am now a re-owner of a '97 GF4 wagon. I'd like to do wheels, brakes, and suspension as my first mods. Continue on to engine, wiring, and transmission, then body work and making the interior look pretty.

So, wheels... 17x7.5 or 8 +35 ish is about what size I'm looking into.
Big brakes that will do a good job but not break the bank??? Definitely stainless braided lines and 4 wheel disc, but what brands are good sell complete conversion kits? From my understanding, it's pretty easy to swap the rear drums to disc.
And suspension... Clean everything up, springs and shocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts