Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
I'M DEBT FREE!!
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was leaving the office about nine last night and decided I needed to blow off some steam. I knew the new neighborhood at the end of Riley-Fuzzel behind Fox Run (up on my side of town) may reveal some good muddy roads. I was not disappointed. The rain yesterday definitely made things fun. I found a straight stretch about 1/2-3/4 of mile long. I figured that it needed investigating. :D

I went down the road until it turned into the neighborhood, and the construction vehicles were blocking my way. After I got back to the main road, I decided to do it again. (There can never be enough mud!) :devil: This is were I ran into a little trouble.

I was going along fine, when I decided to get more to the right and avoid some of the ruts. I was worried about high centering the car. Well, I should have worried about the ditch instead!! I didn't realize the road had such a big taper toward the sides. I almost stuffed the car into a good sized puddle & wall of mud. Talk about DOH! (Insert Homer voice here.)

I managed to get through it, just barely. Thankfully the road was pretty compacted at the end of the sloppy mudhole. The car gripped it well and it spat me out with no problems. I got back to the asphalt and had to get out to take a look. I wish I had the digital with me then. It was wild. I did take some pictures this morning before I left for work. I will try to post them tonight when I get home.

I also thought I'd get pulled over on the way home. I saw a few locals that made me nervous. I just kept it under the speed limit just in case. Luckily the right side is muddier than the left, and they were on my left.

I learned a few little lessons from this little muddin' excursion.

First, don't go play by yourself. Even with a cell phone, you might be waiting a while for a 4x4 tow truck. Plus, it's more fun to share the mud with friends! :D

Second, don't go play in unfamiliar territory. I should have stayed in the center of the road as much as possible. Also, I should have scouted out the area in the daylight.

Third, it might have been better to play in the daylight. But, I find this point debatable. Daylight means people (read - COPS) may see you. The flip side is that when your headlights and fogs get covered in mud, your vision will be limited. :eek:

If any of the wiser members have anything to add, please do so. I had a good time, but was shaking after. The adrenaline was definitely pumping. I think that was probably from almost getting stuck. Maybe I was more worried about how I'd explain that to the wife! :curse:

Adam

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
Last time I played in the dirt, I bent the crap out of my rim. Cat was there though, so no splainin' necessary...;)

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Hey, sounded like fun for the most part. I think pretty soon a few friends and I are going to go and do a bit of rallying. it will be nice and fun, my car needs to get dirty every now and then.

And Danz, how did you manage the rim bendage?

·
Registered
subbie
328 Posts
playing in the dirt is fun, i've had a few fun trips up toward livingston to play in the dirt, haven't got in any trouble except for the ire of the neighborhood and their dogs:curse:

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Where I am, if I want to play in the dirt, one must keep a watchful eye out for Soccer Moms.
These things are relentless beasts. They know how to seek, and destroy as well.

·
Registered
I'M DEBT FREE!!
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was also thankful that I didn't get a puncture. I think my last off-road excursion netted me a nail through the sidewall. That sucked.

I'm also curious about your bent rim, Rob. Did you go off into a hole, or hit a buried obstruction like a stump or something?

·
Registered
subbie
328 Posts
i was there, a car behind of him, it was at a construction site, new subdivision, it was a huge dirt field, but there was a little dirt road he swerved to the side or something and hit a manhole cover which bent the rim, i do believe

am i corredct rob?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Wow, I bet that really sounded/felt bad from inside the car!
If that happened to me, I would have cried... I think I am quite serious. lol.

·
Registered
95 L Swap Sedan, 01 RS coupe, 05 STI
220 Posts
don't bend your wheels all at one time folks. i only have 1 extra set of wheels right now to loan out!:checkit:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
yup, came off a plateu, got a little squirly (that'll teach me to lay off the gas when in the dirt...). Got it under control, but was aimed at a nasty rut. Steered left, then I was aimed at a large fallen branch/log. Steered left again, thought I was in the clear. Then out pops this concrete thing sticking out of the dirt. No time to swerve, BAM!!! It was quite violent. I thought there would be body and suspension damage, but luckily, just bent the rim, bent the tow hook, and scraped up the bottom of my front skirt... Lesson learned, be careful in dirt...:(

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Hey, sounded like a lot of fun up until hitting the manhole...
And nice pics by the way Bohanan! Looks like you had fun too!
Now I am in the mood to go rallying when I get home... I know of the perfect spot... :drool:

[Mr. Burns] Excellent... [/Mr. Burns]

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If it's muddy, remember to wash the car right after, don't wanna lose any paint...

[Homer]D'oh[Homer/]

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Yeah, really. Blasted Subaru paint.
I already have gotten a few paint chips, and it is REALLY pissing me off.

·
Registered
subbie
328 Posts
avoid suspension damage it all costs;)

i got an extra wheel, but i don't think i can fit into the spare section, it would be cool though to have a full size spare

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
That could be a shop day issue:

Modify Jame's trunk to fit a full size spare...:D

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I find that to be utter nonsense that the Impreza doesn't have a full size spare wheel...
I guess I just won't ever get a flat, or anything like that.
(knock on wood)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
James, we are both morons, on the back side of the particle board covering the wheel is the tool to raise the jack in a timely manner...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 L Swap Sedan, 01 RS coupe, 05 STI
220 Posts
DanzBorin said:
James, we are both morons, on the back side of the particle board covering the wheel is the tool to raise the jack in a timely manner...:rolleyes:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

how the hell did you two get your drivers licenses???

1 - 20 of 41 Posts