Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting a CEL off and on for a while (usually when I fill up my tank). I don't have the code written down here, but it is the fuel level sensor. I did a search and found a couple other people with the same problem. My car is a 2000 2.5RS 5-spd coupe with about 86k on the clock. When I fill up my tank, more often than not, the next day or so I will start my car and I will have a CEL, and my low fuel light will be on (even though the tank is full). The needle will slowly drop (usually to around 1/2 a tank, maybe a little lower), and then it will 'fix' itself and the gas light will go out and the needle will creep back up. The CEL will stick around for a few days afterwards (if it doesn't happen again). I have the service manual for my car and found the procedure for the fuel level sensor, but I haven't been able to find the part number for it or how much it costs. Here are a couple shots I have from my diagrams:

If anyone has fixed this problem before, or might be able to help me out, I'd appreciate it. Since they have a procedure for just the sensor, I don't think I'll need a whole new fuel pump. Thanks in advance!

Alex B

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Initialdaddict said:
Yeah you should beable to remove the old pump and put on the new assembly, but the pump isn't really the expensive part, the thing as a whole does run higher.

Can't help ya with part number or price. I could only guess that it would be 50-100ish.
Getting to the pump and taking it out isn't a problem, I upgraded the fuel pump in my old 02 WRX and I'm sure it's about the same on this RS. I just don't recall seeing a specific sensor on it (it's been a while).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hm thanks for the link. That link is for 2 things, one being the part I need (I think #12 in that picture), and the other part that I'm not sure of. I looked up both part numbers and they both are some sort of sender meter unit. One is about $50 and the other is about $70. Hmmmm

·
Registered
MY98 2.2 Swapped Foz L
281 Posts
Which did you replace? There are 2 sending units, and as far as I know, the one on the pump sends when the tank is less than half full. The one on the left of the car sends when it is greater than half a tank. Is this correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update on this? Does certain codes call specific sensor?(left/right) just had this yesterday and idk if it's left or right, both are 90~$ each ��

1 - 8 of 8 Posts