Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i am driving in my 99 rs and i give it some gas, it smells like rotten egg. I've been told its my cat, "how many cats do we have"?... But one friend mentioned my fuel may be burning to rich. if so how can i fix that.

I put midgrade in my car if thats makes a difference?...

Russ

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
There are 2 cats. This is what they look like:

You should not use mid-grade it won't get you anything, regular is what it calls for and unless you have an ECU that is programmed for it, it's a waste of money. You may have a bad front O2 sensor that is making your mixture rich (if that is in fact what is happening) have a look here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1039

Do you have an excess amount of black soot on the tail pipe?

Peaty

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
True but it has to throw a signal a specific number of times within a particular time frame to get a CEL. When mine went bad it started having bad gas milage before I got a code. When I hooked up my code reader, I could read a code but did not get CEL. Only after it got so out of wack did it throw codes and not all the time at first. Mostly only under hard acceleration when the car was not warmed up yet.

How many miles on your RS? They suggest changing the O2 sensor every 50 or 60K anyway. I ignored my code at first because I thought it was the rear one because I have an aftermarket cat. Turned out to be the front one though. The code said the mixture was lean and kept trying to make it richer. I got bad mileage and it started running crappy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have like 36k on mine but thanks for telling me not to use midgrade. thatll save me some money. Also since i didnt get that for christmas from my g/f Iam getting it with my tax return. An exhaust, I cant decide i think that my head is going to explode.....:biggest:

Russ

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
With the Random Tec can and a SS Stromung the sound is music to my ears :) I have a link to a sound clip of my system on our Scoobymods.com site.

Sometimes I turn off the radio just to listen to it :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts