Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says. Testing the waters on selling my 2000 2.5rs sedan.
Chassis has about 250k
Swapped drivetrain less that 6 months ago
Not bar’d
Lots of work done. Too much to list but will pos picture of the list of items done.
questions please ask and I’d be happy to answer.

looking for around $13k

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,139 Posts
Can you talk about registering/passing emissions with an OBD-2 car and a (pre) OBD-1 swapped engine?

Reactions: stalkergc

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
169 Posts
I almost always have something to say :) .

It's an interesting prospect. Let's say I were in the market for an RS, and I was fine with a sedan. I'd be willing to pay probably 8k for a completely stock, immaculate RS. Mileage wouldn't matter much to me. The problem with this, for me, is that I would want something stock or as close to stock as possible. The modifications don't mean a whole lot to me, so that extra 5k could go towards whatever I personally wanted to do with the car. Even paying 10k for a stock RS would leave me quite a bit to do the modifications I wanted.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten any bites at all, but my guess is that the people in the market for one might share some similar reservations. It might be one of those things that it takes a very specific buyer for you to get the money you think it is worth. In the meantime, maybe post up a few interior pictures and some pictures of the passenger side?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I almost always have something to say :) .

It's an interesting prospect. Let's say I were in the market for an RS, and I was fine with a sedan. I'd be willing to pay probably 8k for a completely stock, immaculate RS. Mileage wouldn't matter much to me. The problem with this, for me, is that I would want something stock or as close to stock as possible. The modifications don't mean a whole lot to me, so that extra 5k could go towards whatever I personally wanted to do with the car. Even paying 10k for a stock RS would leave me quite a bit to do the modifications I wanted.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten any bites at all, but my guess is that the people in the market for one might share some similar reservations. It might be one of those things that it takes a very specific buyer for you to get the money you think it is worth. In the meantime, maybe post up a few interior pictures and some pictures of the passenger side?
Thank you for the feedback. Will absolutely add in some more photos. And completely agree about specific buyer and pricing. As why I mentioned in testing the waters here.

·
Registered
98 2.5rs
108 Posts
Can you talk about registering/passing emissions with an OBD-2 car and a (pre) OBD-1 swapped engine?
Yeah curious as well since seller is in CA.
I know its obviously not CA smog legal, but if we were to add emission parts to the car, it still wont be able to pass regardless since theres no OBD2 port connection correct?

·
Registered
2001 2.5 rs
72 Posts
Smog’s never a issue. Wheels and coil overs have to go tho but other then that solid car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
614 Posts
Yeah curious as well since seller is in CA.
I know its obviously not CA smog legal, but if we were to add emission parts to the car, it still wont be able to pass regardless since theres no OBD2 port connection correct?
Yes.

In CA,if the shell was sold with OBDII compliance, the swap must be OBDII compliant. An OBDI can go to OBDII and get compliance, but not the other way around.

For CA emissions, it will need a conforming USDM ECU, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo, full exhaust, and no cleared codes on the ECU. Basically, take a full OBDII motor + harness + ECU and drop it into this chassis.

However, you can convert the motor to OBDII with just a couple of sensors. But you're still left figuring out the ECU and main loom. Brian at iWire can run you through the specifics.

To BAR, you will need everything to be perfect, down to the serial stamped on the housings. So to get it through, this would need :

• Sensors from OBDII added to long block
  • (Possibly) new main loom
  • 2002+ ECU (easiest are 2002/2003)
  • Intake manifold with TGVs
  • All (3) cats (up pipe, down pipe, for 02/03 compliance)
  • TD04
  • Stock exhaust (not even cat-back)
  • All main smog stuff from the shell, like the charcoal canister

It's absolutely doable, but maybe not for the inexperienced. Read my journal for more info.

-TC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts