Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2ooo RS coupe
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently replaced my stock rear with subaru 20mm- car still soft on turns- can anyone tell me where to get a bigger front swaybar? I tried to search but all I see is for WRXs- help!

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Do you know if the front Whiteline swaybar has the same fitment issue as the rear ones do? The thing about the rear Whiteline adjustable swaybars (at least the 18-22mm one) is that the mounting hole that connects to the endlink is slightly too large for the bolt, so unless you tighten the nut REALLY hard--and occasionally re-tighten it--you'll get a *clunk* noise around slow corners, sometimes. Happened to a lot of people, including me.

I've had mine set at 18mm since day one (back in summer of 2000) and haven't changed it. I now have an FHI Ver.5 suspension though, and am considering upping to 20mm. Though a fellow NESIC-er has a FHI/STi 20mm bar and wants to swap with me. Which is a better thing for me... since I never switch settings, I'd rather have a bar that fits more properly.

Anybody know if FHI ever made a larger front bar?? I'm not as concerned about it as I am about the rear, I guess. I plan on buying a set of Kartboy front and rear solid end-/droplinks after they release the new front ones for resale. Steering response is increased DRAMATICALLY, I hear, especially with the front ones.
(That info coming from people who owned the old Kartboy front links, or Whiteline/Cusco ones.) Though front droplinks alone will add understeer, so you should buy both sets to make it neutral...

-S2-

·
Registered
42 Posts
I installed front Whiteline 22mm. Was a true PITA, had to unbolt the headers and put the car up on braces with the wheels off, but truly worth it. Made the car that much more fun to drive. I have a Whiteline rear swaybar (adjustable) set to 22mm.
I got mine fromALTA SPORTS (great service).
It is really important to consider beefing sway bars in concert... that is, by increasing the front sway bar relative to the rear you will tend to understeer. Therefore, most people want to maintain at least a neutral steering by keeping their rear sway bar within couple millimeters of their front. With your 20mm rear, I think you should be okay with a 22mm front.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
For those of you with both swaybars upgraded:

How is the accelleration out of tight turns and fast sweepers? Any lifting of inside wheels and/or spinning issues due to weight transfer?

This is something I'm considering and want to know if I'll be shooting myself in the foot by doing it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I specifically attempted to minimize that inner-wheel lift, which limited my cornering speed. The addition of the 22mm front sway bar improved things considerably in this respect. My test was in parking garage at work...hehehe....love the sound of the Brullen in there. By increasing the front sway bar, there was a noticible improvement in cornering traction and speed.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
So the increased front roll resistance won't let the inside rear get light due to it's roll resistance too? That's great news! What springs and struts are you running?

I have Koni inserts and STi/Eibach's. The valving on the Koni's is alot heavier than my AGX's They can handle some super stiff springs if needed!

Hmmm...22mm front and 24mm rear! sounds like a go-kart recipe to me!!!
Dr Ken said:
I specifically attempted to minimize that inner-wheel lift, which limited my cornering speed. The addition of the 22mm front sway bar improved things considerably in this respect. My test was in parking garage at work...hehehe....love the sound of the Brullen in there. By increasing the front sway bar, there was a noticible improvement in cornering traction and speed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yup. I've got stock struts, springs & wheels.
The way I explain its benefit is ... with less roll cornering, the inner struts don't have to stretch out as far, so everything remains on the ground... I'm no pro but that's what seems to be happening. :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, I have the only GC8 in the US running on a 25mm front and 20-24 set to 24 in the rear. The rear is a Whiteline and the front is made by Addco. Here is a review.

Turn in is immediate, flat and neutral. The car remains flat and neutral throughout turns. Once I removed my front strut towre brace I suffer no understeer at all. I have yet to be told be anyone watching my autocross runs that I have lifted a wheel, but if I were to it would be the inside rear. I have had many people ride in my car since the upgrades. Several have said that it is by far the best handling Impreza they have ever been in. I am on version 5 struts with 5Zigen springs (which is unfortunately a very overdamped combo) and the car will out corner almost anythign on the road. Once the Ohlins are done and they go in I have no doubts that my car will handle on par with anything on the road.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Subsonic, you could also upgrade your tires and go for a lower profile, higher sidewall strength tire, which will aid both in grip and responsiveness. Also the stock struts and springs are really soft, and transfer the turning forces into body roll rather than cornering force... I've run on BFG g-force kdws and Bridgestone RE-730's at auto-x and the 730's are pretty good (thier sidewall strength is pretty stiff and the tires are grippy) , for a softer ride but also good grip, the KDWS are comfortable on street and offer pretty good grip too (but have lower sidewall strength)

Any way, good luck...

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
How did you get Addco to make a front bar? Was it a custom or pre-production thing? Can one be ordered through them?

I'm going after the ultimate in flat cornering without losing the independant-ness of the suspension. It's not a daily driver, so comfort can be sacrificed to a point. It will lift a wheel in back now and I can feel it lurching as the wheel catches. It's actually thrown the car outta gear once, by lurching so hard. I thought I broke the gear and about shit myself (being just a co-driver). I don't want to have to sacrifice entry speed for position and such. If it'll just plant and go, I'll be much happier.

Templar said:
To the best of my knowledge, I have the only GC8 in the US running on a 25mm front and 20-24 set to 24 in the rear. The rear is a Whiteline and the front is made by Addco. Here is a review.

Turn in is immediate, flat and neutral. The car remains flat and neutral throughout turns. Once I removed my front strut towre brace I suffer no understeer at all. I have yet to be told be anyone watching my autocross runs that I have lifted a wheel, but if I were to it would be the inside rear. I have had many people ride in my car since the upgrades. Several have said that it is by far the best handling Impreza they have ever been in. I am on version 5 struts with 5Zigen springs (which is unfortunately a very overdamped combo) and the car will out corner almost anythign on the road. Once the Ohlins are done and they go in I have no doubts that my car will handle on par with anything on the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts