Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a loose sounding front suspension when you turn the wheel and maybe hit a bump or something like that?
It is driving me crazy, it does not do it all the time just sometimes when I hit a bump in a turn.

·
Registered
23 Posts
STOP driving your car. You most likely have a loose top strut bolt. This can be easily fixed by tightening the bolt. You can access the bolt by removing the center dust conver (the one that's slightly bigger than a quarter) and you will have direct access to the bolt. If not ficed it WILL strip you strut and you will then have to replace the whole strut. But since you can really only replace struts in pairs you will have to buy two new struts.

RC-

·
Registered
23 Posts
I doubt it since it sounds like he's getting a smacking sound when the suspension is working and not when the wheels are turning(which would be wheel bearing):biggest:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the nut on the driver side strut, it seemed o.k., one other thing I can feel it in the steering wheel when it does its thing.
I might just have to take it to the dealer.
Thanks everybody for your input.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do something first. open you hood (and hold it or have someone else hold it. Then put you knee on the side where you think the sound is coming from. Then try to track it down. However if it does make a sound and it is coming from the top of the strut tower brace than get an impact wrench (a socket wrench will NOT get it tight enough) and a 21mm socket and wrench that bad boy down. I know about this problem because it's happened to me a few times. I'm also probably the biggest subby thrasher around. I've broken front axles, rear diffs, front main seals, front and rear bearings, My Left FRONT STRUT. And all of this has been done with only 22,000 miles so far on the car. And I've never taken it off road once. The good thing is that I've had no problems with the engine yet at all!!!:happynow: :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Peaty,

ohohohoh!!!! I like the pritty picture!!!! Where you get?????

Must have pics!!!!! life much easy!!! With pic...

anway, I am truly interested in where you got these so I can get my hands on them. It would make explaining some of the things i've learned SOOO much easier.

Thanx

RC

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Things get posted from time to time and I just save them to my HD. I don't have the whole manual, I wish I did but it's really pricy. That said, if you get yourself a Haynes for the Legacy (I have one) many of the things are transferable to the Impreza. It only costs 15 bucks or so at any automotive store.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How much is it? If it's not that much I would love to pick it up. I don't ever plan on getting rid of my RS and I would love to see the breakdown of the 4EAT. oh And where might I get the best price on picking this up. (the dealer probably isn't the cheapest)

RC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts