Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question in troubleshooting but i figured i would get more responses over here. Ok, heres the story! I was sliding around in an icy parking lot when all of a sudden i hit a patch of dry paventment. I was sliding sideways at around 10-20mph when this happend. It jerked hard to a stop. Since then, my car shudders when i make hard left or right turns. And more noticable when turning on bumpy intersections. Its definitly comming from the front. Its a very slight shudder, but a loud one, and i can feel it most in the steering wheel. The steering wheel shakes very slightly. Any clue on to what this could be? Could i have broken a bracket for my power steering mount? Could it be a damaged strut top and i broke a stud off and my strut is flexing left to right when i turn hard? Im only 17 and dont really have the money to spend on expensive stuff. Id apprecitae any help! thanks -alex

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
You might have mucked up a bearing, or a tie rod, or a CV joint, or a trut top, or any number of things.

Have someone take a look at it before it turns into something worse.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the problem is i only have 500 bux. Im sure an inspection would take a big chunk outta my money. Does the impreza have some weak points in the front suspension maybe my auto tech teacher could look at?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
I would have to say for you to get an alignment done. Sliding sideways at your speed would have caused the suspension to be out of place. If you are, be sure to make the alignment suitable for your driving style... prefessionally.

·
The first ex-ex-moderator!
00 RS & GSX-R 750
1,446 Posts
I am far from an expert, but maybe check your sway bar mounts and steering rack mounts. Hope you find out what it is.

Another thing is a lot of places like Goodyear and such will do a free safety inspection with an oil change. If you tell them about the problem they will look for it in the inspection.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sorta did what you did
but I hit a curb. I had to replace the right lower ball joint $25
went to the shop had them replace it $100 (famly friend, gota tip well) plus he sorta alliged my car
lastly, I went to Goodyear they gave me a free alligment inspection. The tech said that the fronts are off a bit I'll fix that under the table. but the rears are bad. Showed me the print out and I asked what it could be he said alot of things... so I passed on the offer to have it repaired $5 (tip)

$130 later and @ 1500 miles later everything seems to be back to normal. but that could be due to tire wear. But I've been rotating them every 3k so I'm not positive.

Good Luck I know how you fell being low on cash and needing repairs it sux!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i found a clue that might lead to whats wrong with my car. With the car off, if i turn the steering wheel back and forth kinda jerky, i can hear the same click comming from the front end except a little softer. another problem has also risen. My rear end now sqeaks and groans like a mofo. Ill go over a small crest or a bump and it will make this bazaar skueek and moan. it kinda sounds like its comming from the trunk, but its probable the suspension resonating inside the trunk. It kinda does sound like trunk sqeek though. i dunno. any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket rear sway bar? With urethane bushings? If so, thats the creaking-squeaking noise from the rear.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as a matter of fact, i just adjusted my swaybar about 2weeks ago, i have a cusco, adjustable. Did i tighten the thing too tight?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I left mine on the lowest setting until I upgraded the rest of the suspension, then I put it on the tightest. I think I noticed the creaking a bit more on the highest setting. But its urethane, it will creak eventually.

I don't think it can be too tight, as long as your comfortable with the way it handles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so the creak is pretty much normal and wont go away? If i grease it or sumthing, will it stop creaking or will it just come back? When i say tight, i mean the nuts and bolts tight. hehe:)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Yeah, you can take it all apart, and lube up the bushings, but the creaking will come back. I think you're supposed to use a graphite based lubricant, but you should probably double check me on that, I cant remember where I read it.

The nuts for the sway bar end links are supposed to be torqued to 35 ft/lbs. And the bushings that hold the bar to the chassis are 20 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
in other words, its normal and its not sumthing i should worry about right? I dont have access to a lift right now. So leaving it the way it is for a while wont be a problem right?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. It's normal for urethane bushings to creak. You do have aftermarket end links right?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
With the stock end links your probably creaking on the bushings that hold the bar to the chassis. Larger diameter bar, squeezed into the OE bushing will make allot of noise, learned that from Sean.

IMPREZA2000 : How much did you pay for the Perrins? And where did you get them?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got them at ALTA performance out of Oregon. I paid $129.99 (ouch!) I found them cheaper as soon as I ordered them. Vivid has them for 119.99 . They look like the ticket though, the sperical ball bearing should tighten things up a little...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts